Need To Know If Exista Buttercream Icing For Diabetics

Baking By Little_Angel Updated 9 Dec 2006 , 6:20pm by scott123

Little_Angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little_Angel Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:28am
post #1 of 5

Hello icon_biggrin.gif
I would like to know if someone in this forum have knowledge of any recipe of buttercream icing for diabetics? I have my own business and a person ask me for it for his parent to gift her a birthday cake and I don't have any idea of any recipe of icings with the same consistensy of buttercream having sugar substitute on it.
Please if anyone knows let me know icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:38am
post #2 of 5

Yes, I had an order for that too once, and my head Chef and I experimented with an Italian Meringue Buttercream made with Splenda to make the syrup out of. It worked fine.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:39am
post #3 of 5

I'd love to know this as well!!!! I was just about to ask lol. My father is diabetic and can not have so much sugar although he splurges sometimes lol. Everytime I make a cake "who is this one for?" I tell him who it's for (normally someone out of the house) "oh ok" with a puppy dog face lol so I'd love to have an icing to go with the diabetic cake recipe I have icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 5

The biggest problem with sugar free buttercream icing is replacing the texture of sugar. Splenda provides sweetness but no texture. Buttercream is especially complicated because the sugar is mostly undissolved. This undissolved sugar is what makes it opaque/milky and gives it a stiff spreadable texture.

There are only two sugar free ingredients that I know of that will give you the texture of powdered sugar. Isomalt and maltitol. Both are only available online and both are potentially laxating. You need to check with your client to see what sugar subs they can and cannot consume. You should also find out where they stand on fat. Some diabetics eat low fat. Carbs is another question to ask. Some diabetics eat low carb. Low carb not only changes the sweeteners in the icing, but the flour in the cake as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%