Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › best recipie for sugar cookies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best recipie for sugar cookies - Page 2

post #16 of 61
I bake mine on an ungreased baking tray with no baking paper...I find this makes them a bit firmer too..
post #17 of 61
Thread Starter 
Oh great. Thanks for the tips. I'm making some more tonorrow...wish me luck! Lol
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocaholikk View Post

Thank u. I baked some last night and they tirned out great for a first time

They can onlt get better I guess

Oh they look great, Choca ;D I've used the same as you - No Fail Sugar Cookies recipe on this site and allthough my dough was just a wee bit too dry they both helt their shape marvellously and they taste good too!

post #19 of 61
Thread Starter 
Aw thanks auntiecruel.
Mine turned out jus a lil soft. I just need to alter baking times...wud luv to see a pic of urs too xx
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecruel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocaholikk View Post

Thank u. I baked some last night and they tirned out great for a first time

They can onlt get better I guess

Oh they look great, Choca ;D I've used the same as you - No Fail Sugar Cookies recipe on this site and allthough my dough was just a wee bit too dry they both helt their shape marvellously and they taste good too!

antiecruel:  A wee bit to dry is what made them keep their shape.  Sounds like it was perfectly done.

 

Chocoholikk: really cute mouse cookies.  how about a wee bit more flour, just start with a tablespoon in your next batch, rather than overcooking the dough with longer baking time.

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Reply
post #21 of 61
post #22 of 61
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone xxx
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post
 

antiecruel:  A wee bit to dry is what made them keep their shape.  Sounds like it was perfectly done.

 

Chocoholikk: really cute mouse cookies.  how about a wee bit more flour, just start with a tablespoon in your next batch, rather than overcooking the dough with longer baking time.

 

/flex ;D

post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocaholikk View Post

The recipie said 180 degrees for 6-8 mins but then they went a chocolate brown colour...maybe coz I have a fan oven. So these 2 I put in at 160 for 10 mins...

Those baking times aren't logical. Even a small thin cookie (any kind of cookie) takes around 12 minutes in a 350F oven. I use the NFSC recipe and a larger cookie takes over 20 minutes at 350F. That cookie recipe is very forgiving.......you can bake it until golden brown and you'll have a crunchy cookie or you can bake it very lightly and it will remain soft yet firm when cold.

 

Try to learn how to bake according to when the item is done, instead of relying on time....because every oven bake a little different.

post #25 of 61
Thread Starter 
Point taken. Thank u for ur advice I will definitely be keeping an eye on the colour of cookie because those were too soft.
♥ this site xxx
post #26 of 61

Sugar cookies are done when they have lost their shine.   That's my method.

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #27 of 61

I had posted this in another post with the same subject.   This is my recipe that has had great results.

 

2 sticks butter
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1T. Vanilla
1T. Almond
3 1/2 c. Flour
1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda!   Don't refrigerate dough.   Cut out-freeze for 15 minutes on the baking tray and then straight into a 350 oven.   My time is for a commercial oven so your time will vary...look for shine to disappear on top of cookie.

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #28 of 61

ddaigle I'd love to try your recipe when I get some free time. Have you made the nfsc recipe before.....if so, can you explain how your recipe is different that makes you happier with it? Is it softer, firmer, more flavorful, easier to work with, etc....?

 

Also, do you have a frosting/glaze recipe you love on your cookies?

 

I've been using one that was posted on another sugar cookie recipe thread here and although I love it I'd like it to be even shinier.

post #29 of 61

Stiches...to me, the NFSC was to "floury" and to me, made it a more harder cookie.    I like "bendy" cookies. If you like  harder cookie, the NFSC is a good recipe, but I still think it needs more flavoring.  A teaspoon is never enough for me in any recipe.   The recipe I use is a little  more fragile than the NFSC recipe but it still doesn't spread. It's just a softer cookie (on the inside).     I use a tablespoon each of 4 different extracts in my butter cream too.   Makes a huge difference.

 

I think all glazes dull after they dry.   I've used royal and all of the glazes/glaces posted here on CC.   They all dry to a matte finish.   Due to my volume, I have switched to a commercial glaze.  There are 2 commercial glazes that work great.   One is called "sno-top" and the other "white & glossy".   I prefer the white & glossy.   Unlike the home made glazes that you thin with more water...white & glossy and sno top are thinned through heat (microwave).

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle View Post
 

Stiches...to me, the NFSC was to "floury" and to me, made it a more harder cookie.    I like "bendy" cookies. If you like  harder cookie, the NFSC is a good recipe, but I still think it needs more flavoring.  A teaspoon is never enough for me in any recipe.   The recipe I use is a little  more fragile than the NFSC recipe but it still doesn't spread. It's just a softer cookie (on the inside).     I use a tablespoon each of 4 different extracts in my butter cream too.   Makes a huge difference.

 

I think all glazes dull after they dry.   I've used royal and all of the glazes/glaces posted here on CC.   They all dry to a matte finish.   Due to my volume, I have switched to a commercial glaze.  There are 2 commercial glazes that work great.   One is called "sno-top" and the other "white & glossy".   I prefer the white & glossy.   Unlike the home made glazes that you thin with more water...white & glossy and sno top are thinned through heat (microwave).

Thank-you! I have a customer who likes a softer cookie. Where do you buy your white & glossy frosting? Are they fondant?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cookies!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › best recipie for sugar cookies