Caramel Question, Please

Decorating By kellertur Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 4:51am by ceshell

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 26

Does anyone know a relatively simple way to make thickened caramel? I need to be able to drizzle, but not be runny. The caramel recipes I have taste great, but don't thicken enough and don't set.
Can anyone help?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

25 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 26

Hi Kristi,

Have you ever tried jodief's recipe, it's awesome! Beware you will want to keep eating it. Here's the link!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_id-add_box-6851.html

Enjoy!
Deb

kellertur Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 26

Thanks Deb icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:26am
post #4 of 26

--^^^-- what she said! That stuff is gooood.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 26

Awww.....you guys are sweet! I LOVE that caramel!

Darn it....now I want some! icon_lol.gif

Jodie

ceshell Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 26

You know what's funny Jodie, the last time I made it, I put it into some cupcake icing but had lots left over. For the 3 friends I brought cupcakes to, I also scooped a nice big blob of caramel onto a plastic spoon, sprinkled a bit of salt on top, and wrapped each one in cling wrap. It just seemed like, what better way to share this caramel than on a spoon?! It was a hit, that's for sure. thumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #7 of 26

Ceshell...that's my favorite way to eat that stuff....straight off a spoon, with a tiny bit of salt. Wow....yum.......
I try not to even make it unless I know I'm going to be using the majority of it. Shoot, I might as well just rub it straight onto my hips!

Jodie

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 26

I LOVE it! I use it as a filling in many of my cakes so it's included in the "Gourmet Flavor" thread's Google doc (link in my signature line below).

Thanks for sharing it, Jodief!

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #9 of 26

I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds good!!!

Thick Caramel

1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
6 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Bring the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk to a boil over medium-high heat stirring to combine.
2. With a wooden spoon, stir all ingredients together and then slowly add the heavy cream.
3. Continue to stir for about 20 minutes until the caramel reached 248 degrees. It is important to continuously stir the mixture and to allow it to reach temperature.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Transfer to a bowl and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes allowing the caramel to cool slightly.

Deb_ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #10 of 26

Hey, that's jodief's recipe cut in half, I'd recognize that anywhere icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 26

i just compared this one to the recipe posted here and they are pretty similar soooo....

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Hey, that's jodief's recipe cut in half, I'd recognize that anywhere icon_biggrin.gif

hey! you beat me to it!...lol

Deb_ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

Quote:

hey! you beat me to it!...lol

icon_lol.gif I've got fast fingers tonight icon_lol.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #14 of 26

http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=60

this is where it came from

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #15 of 26

ceshell
Is it very firm? Could you possibly use it inside a chocolate spoon? Like dip the spoon to coat the bottom put a glob of caramel in the center then re-dip the spoon? I have a spoon mold I'd like to use but a solid chocolate spoon doesn't seem special enough.

Deb_ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #16 of 26

Those apple caramel cupcakes sound and look delicious........thanks for that link, I'll have to try them!

JodieF Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #17 of 26

icon_lol.gif I never said I'd made that recipe up! I've seen it a few places online, and some very similar. It's still delicious!

Jodie

Deb_ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

icon_lol.gif I never said I'd made that recipe up! I've seen it a few places online, and some very similar. It's still delicious!

Jodie

Hey, it'll always be *Jodief's caramel* in my eyes icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #19 of 26
Quote:

Those apple caramel cupcakes sound and look delicious........thanks for that link, I'll have to try them!

They do, don't they!!! I was planning on making them for my son's 1st bday party.

JodieF Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #20 of 26

Juleebug...sorry...no one answered your question! Yes, when it's cold you'll be able to put a glob of it on a spoon!

Jodie

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #21 of 26

juleebug,
I have a different recipe I've used for Christmas caramels -just sugar, cream, butter, and corn syrup (with vanilla and salt). But if I cook it to a higher temp, just a few degrees, it gets much harder/stiffer. Sometimes I can't sell them if I take my eyes off the thermometer or I'd get sued for fillings coming loose! I'm sure that would work on metal or plastic spoons, and could be coated with chocolate, but would maybe melt the chocolate spoon if too hot. Sounds yummy to add the caramel to the spoon!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #22 of 26

Awesome. Thx everyone. I've been wanting to use those spoon molds forever.

Deb_ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #23 of 26

juleebug, some marshmallow or mint would be really good inside those spoons too, especially if you stir them into hot chocolate! Yum icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #24 of 26

WOW~ I had no idea there were so many responses to this! (I'm the OP, I think? I'm so sleep deprived I'm practically halucinating.) icon_surprised.gif

Great ideas and recipes - Thanks! icon_smile.gif The caramel I needed was for a Caramel Apple Cake. I've never actually made one, only in theory. Does anyone have any pointers? I was thinking of this:

Apple spice cake, caramel BC and caramel sauce incorporated "somewhere" although I haven't figured that one out yet. It's for an Easter Birthday cake due Friday... all design is up to me. icon_confused.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #25 of 26

I've seen just a simple all-over drizzle of caramel on top of the cake, then sprinkled with chopped toasted nuts and a simple top and bottom border. Also, mini fresh Lady apples dipped in caramel for decoration. On Carrie Biggers' website, she has a cake called "Amy Caramel Apples #23" as a wedding cake with the small apples. These kind of cakes are also the time I use my gum paste or chocolate plaques instead of trying to write on the drizzle -just write on the plaque. If it's for a filling, I would just drizzle caramel on top of your filling.
I once added caramel ice cream topping (a good one with no preservatives tastes the most homemade) to my chocolate SMBC for a wedding cake tasting with chocolate espresso cake -the bride went nuts!! I added quite a bit of caramel until I could really taste it, and WOW!

ceshell Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:51am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

juleebugBut if I cook it to a higher temp, just a few degrees, it gets much harder/stiffer. Sometimes I can't sell them if I take my eyes off the thermometer or I'd get sued for fillings coming loose! I

Now THAT is an important safety tip! The first time I made JodieF's recipe, I did this. I probably overcooked it by less than a minute (I just didn't get it out of the pan very fast) but holy *** it was super hard! I couldn't even spoon it out of the container it was in, I had to kind of hack at it. I had to melt it every time I wanted to use it, but I did melt it and add it to ganache (tricky to do without breaking the ganache) and that was AMAZING.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%