Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Sooo, undercutting doesn't hurt the industry, huh?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sooo, undercutting doesn't hurt the industry, huh? - Page 2  

post #16 of 110
Yeah, you probably wouldn't have won with her no matter what. I can usually tell by the cake they asking for, and if that's not enough, the language they use is bell ringing. Sad that I can profile like that, but it's just really predictable by now. "How much 4 dis but only 2 tires?" That usually goes nowhere.
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
post #17 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Yeah, you probably wouldn't have won with her no matter what. I can usually tell by the cake they asking for, and if that's not enough, the language they use is bell ringing. Sad that I can profile like that, but it's just really predictable by now. "How much 4 dis but only 2 tires?" That usually goes nowhere.


Haha. Oh goodness. Yeah, the more I do this, the more I'm starting to figure out which initial interactions seem promising and which do not. 

BTW, I see you're in Yuma. Fellow Arizonan. Go Arizona :smile: 

post #18 of 110
Its really sucks...thankfully (or not) who charge really low around here aren't very good. So the difference is clear. I just notice this attitude like they HAVE TO HAVE ORDERS. And they'll quote whatever just to be booked. They all burn out. It's sad.
post #19 of 110
Spideysense! Where in Arizona are ya? Won't be long now, our "lovely" summers will be here soon. Unless you're in a fabulous part of the state with nice cool summers
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
post #20 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Spideysense! Where in Arizona are ya? Won't be long now, our "lovely" summers will be here soon. Unless you're in a fabulous part of the state with nice cool summers


LOL. Oh no, I'm in Tucson. By noon it's already baking here. We barely had a winter at all. I look forward to the 2 or 3 fluke days in the "Spring" where we get what my DH and I affectionately call "San Diego weather." Then it's face melting heat and scorching seat belt buckles! Haha

post #21 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne View Post

Its really sucks...thankfully (or not) who charge really low around here aren't very good. So the difference is clear. I just notice this attitude like they HAVE TO HAVE ORDERS. And they'll quote whatever just to be booked. They all burn out. It's sad.
What I don't understand is the people who just jump in with skills barely above Wilton Class 1, or even worse in some circumstances. Why not hone your skills, get away from using tinfoil boards, and actually have something that stands out and sets your work apart from the other five people who just started a page this week? Why would anyone want to complete against that? And if that's all there is your area, that's all people want to buy, then even more reason to wait, OR just find another job if you're only it for the instant gratification of a sale. There's already those other five, why be the sixth?
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
post #22 of 110
Ah, much cooler where you are! I could handle living there for sure. Rather be up on Mt. Lemmon, but maybe in my retirement years. I have a few friends down there, I know one for sure is a member here, Lorie of Sugarsong Cakes.. She always has a nice venue in the backgrounds of her photos, and has beautiful work as well.
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
post #23 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post


What I don't understand is the people who just jump in with skills barely above Wilton Class 1, or even worse in some circumstances. Why not hone your skills, get away from using tinfoil boards, and actually have something that stands out and sets your work apart from the other five people who just started a page this week? Why would anyone want to complete against that? And if that's all there is your area, that's all people want to buy, then even more reason to wait, OR just find another job if you're only it for the instant gratification of a sale. There's already those other five, why be the sixth?

 

You got it! Made me think of a cupcake business one of my friends launched last week. In her pricing section she has....wait for it.

 

25 cupcakes/$20

50 cupcakes/$35

100 cupcakes/$70

 

My first thought was, you have no idea what you are doing! How do you package cupcakes in boxes of 25! She begs for FB likes every hour. Arrgghh!

post #24 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Ah, much cooler where you are! I could handle living there for sure. Rather be up on Mt. Lemmon, but maybe in my retirement years. I have a few friends down there, I know one for sure is a member here, Lorie of Sugarsong Cakes.. She always has a nice venue in the backgrounds of her photos, and has beautiful work as well.


Yes, it's definitely cooler here than Yuma. Whenever we take summer road trips and stop for a quick rest in Yuma, I feel like I can barely breathe it's so darn hot. Haha. I give you major props for being a resident! But it still gets blazing hot here. We do love to go hiking and for picnics up on Mt. Lemon in the summer since it's cooler up there. And I never take our gorgeous mountain views for granted. Very beautiful for sure.

OP, sorry for the randomness on your post. LOL. Forgive us Arizona gals.

post #25 of 110
Tdove, that is just ridiculous. I mean wow! Has she even made, packaged, and transported one hundred before? Not a big deal for most, but she can't possibly think that will earn her any money at that price. Woooooow.
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

What I don't understand is the people who just jump in with skills barely above Wilton Class 1, or even worse in some circumstances. Why not hone your skills, get away from using tinfoil boards, and actually have something that stands out and sets your work apart from the other five people who just started a page this week? Why would anyone want to complete against that? And if that's all there is your area, that's all people want to buy, then even more reason to wait, OR just find another job if you're only it for the instant gratification of a sale. There's already those other five, why be the sixth?

I dont know!!! But ill tell you the different responses Ive got when Ive suggested it:


"Youre young, you had the time to hone your skills, Im older, I have to go for it now!"

"I dont want to waste materials, i can only practice if I get orders"

"Well, youre making a career of this, so of course you have to do it differently..this is just a part time job for me!"


I dont understand what ever happened to just plain research and development. I had a plan..and I took almost two years before I put it in motion. I went to classes, I spent every hour i had on youtube or here learning techniques, I bought books. I take pride in being professional. I just dont get why somebody would choose to go into an industry handicapped.
post #27 of 110

Theres just simple things I think that really make a difference. 

post #28 of 110
Quote:
 Ok, so since she has gotten all of these other quotes for $50, $70 at most, she now thinks we are just greedy and ridiculously priced. Which is fine for her to think that on one hand, it just means she is not our customer. But on the other hand, all of these other bakers have put this idea in her head (and many others) that a custom 3D shaped cake should not cost more than $70.

You just wait... those 3D printers will make all of that soon. :) Yum.. plastic.

 

Back on point, there are customers that are better left for others to please. Trust me, I know.

post #29 of 110
@AZCouture your cakes are amazing 👍👌😳 just had a look on your site
post #30 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Yeah, you probably wouldn't have won with her no matter what. I can usually tell by the cake they asking for, and if that's not enough, the language they use is bell ringing. Sad that I can profile like that, but it's just really predictable by now. "How much 4 dis but only 2 tires?" That usually goes nowhere.

This is so true. We've been doing this about 5 years now, and I can always tell pretty much instantly the way it's gonna go! Makes it hard to even be motivated to do a quote when I can feel the "no way that's too expensive" coming!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchofsweetener View Post

OP, sorry for the randomness on your post. LOL. Forgive us Arizona gals.

Haha, no worries! Glad you found a fellow Arizonian! :-D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstar View Post

@AZCouture your cakes are amazing 👍👌😳 just had a look on your site

AZ Couture's work is mind blowing, I am always amazed!

Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
This thread is locked  
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Sooo, undercutting doesn't hurt the industry, huh?