Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › How does everyone price their cakes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How does everyone price their cakes?

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have any finacial advise? I found out I have a cottage law and I want to price my cakes resonable prices, not outrageous like in the bakeries. Please and thanks. 

post #2 of 70
No one can tell you how much to sell your cakes for. You need to figure out ingredient costs, overhead (yes you have overhead), etc. etc. etc.

Many of us make a living this way, you'd be surprised what a 'reasonable' price is after you start adding up costs and your time.
post #3 of 70
There are tons of pricing threads if you search for them you'll get tons of info.

Also, I'd work on your presentation, photography quality & clean up your lines a bit. Simple things like using a nice board & light box can make a huge difference on how your cakes look!

You also need to avoid making profit on copyright designs=big fines
post #4 of 70

Pretty skirt.

post #5 of 70

Why do you say bakery prices are outrageous? What do you base that on? It sounds like you know nothing about this, but are already accusing bakeries of price gouging.

 

 

Quote:
You can just stick it in the frige and get it really hard. If it falls over in the car onece it dethaws, that is there problem.  

In view of the unethical suggestion that you posted on the tornado cake thread, I am not inclined to encourage you to start a business.

post #6 of 70
😳😳😳😳 .... That is all I have to contribute...
post #7 of 70
Thread Starter 

I say bakery prices are outrageous because it costed $20 for a sheet cake at the front of the store but you can go to the back of the store and get the same stuff to make it with for less than $5. if you double your prices to pay for your time it is only $10 for a sheet cake. More than fare. 

post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGOMG View Post
 

Does anyone have any finacial advise? I found out I have a cottage law and I want to price my cakes resonable prices, not outrageous like in the bakeries. Please and thanks. 

 

Well, that would depend on how much you charged for the cake that the rat peed on.

 

http://cakecentral.com/t/581958/my-dog-ate-my-first-wedding-cake/105#post_7471589

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
post #9 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch View Post

Well, that would depend on how much you charged for the cake that the rat peed on.

http://cakecentral.com/t/581958/my-dog-ate-my-first-wedding-cake/105#post_7471589

Hahaha genius 😂😂😂
post #10 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch View Post
 

 

Well, that would depend on how much you charged for the cake that the rat peed on.

 

http://cakecentral.com/t/581958/my-dog-ate-my-first-wedding-cake/105#post_7471589

I didn't charge for that cake because it was for a friend. It costed a bomb though so now I need to start charging to make my money back. Plus i had to make my own icing so i lost a lot of time to.

post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGOMG View Post

I say bakery prices are outrageous because it costed $20 for a sheet cake at the front of the store but you can go to the back of the store and get the same stuff to make it with for less than $5. if you double your prices to pay for your time it is only $10 for a sheet cake. More than fare. 

There are many other factors to consider with pricing. From the time it takes to consult with a potential customer, shopping, baking, cleaning, decorating...not to mention your overhead plus hourly rate. By your logic (that's less expensive then a grocery store cake by the way) if it takes you just 4hrs start-finish your making less then $5/hr and that's just for your time and you think it should be half that price. How do you expect to turn a profit?!
post #12 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 View Post


There are many other factors to consider with pricing. From the time it takes to consult with a potential customer, shopping, baking, cleaning, decorating...not to mention your overhead plus hourly rate. By your logic (that's less expensive then a grocery store cake by the way) if it takes you just 4hrs start-finish your making less then $5/hr and that's just for your time and you think it should be half that price. How do you expect to turn a profit?!

I know it is less expensive than a bakery cake because that is the point. The walmarts cakes are a little better than homemade but they have all that overhead stuff. I just work from home so I don't have overhead. I already have all the stuff i need at home besides the cake mix and the frosting.

post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 View Post


Hahaha genius 😂😂😂


Nah.  Just a well developed troll sensor.  Plus I'd already seen the OP's response to a plea for advice:

 

http://cakecentral.com/t/767291/please-help

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch View Post


Nah.  Just a well developed troll sensor.  Plus I'd already seen the OP's response to a plea for advice:

http://cakecentral.com/t/767291/please-help

I've read all of her posts and agree definitely a troll.
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 View Post


I've read all of her posts and agree definitely a troll.

 

The question is, do we flag, do we ignore, or do we play?

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › How does everyone price their cakes?