Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Swiss Meringue Buttercream
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hi y'all.

 

I'm pretty into American Buttercreams, mostly because they're what I first learned, but due do a recent need I want to expand into Swiss Buttercreams.  I think the first SMBC I'm going to try is Sweetapolita's; I did a little research on here and this seems to be a good, recommended recipe.

 

Now, the main reason I'm posting this thread is because I'm looking to develop SMBC into my primary frosting for sans-fondant weddings cakes but, to be honest, that's a lot of eggs.  The whole "raw egg" business doesn't bother me in the slightest, but a wedding cake needs a lot of frosting and consequently a lot eggs and a lot more money than I'd like to spend on eggs.  I'm working on getting a Costco membership but that won't be for a little while, so I'm looking for something for interim. 

 

Soooo... (after long, drawn out blabbering)...

 

Can I make a SMBC with a meringue made from meringue powder?  I saw that several people have asked this question in the past and this link had been posted as a response.  But I just want to know if anybody had a recipe that they'd be willing to share or if they have any stories/experiences with this particular substitution.

 

Thank youuu

Steph

post #2 of 21
You will be using less sugar so that will help offset the cost of the eggs. I have never used meringue powder. You could always try making a small batch to see how it works for you. The eggs aren't raw, they are cooked until they reach 160 degress. I use the same recipe you mentioned. You will love it! Best wishes,
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto View Post

You will be using less sugar so that will help offset the cost of the eggs. I have never used meringue powder. You could always try making a small batch to see how it works for you. The eggs aren't raw, they are cooked until they reach 160 degress. I use the same recipe you mentioned. You will love it! Best wishes,

 

I guess I never thought of that! ABC uses a lot of powdered sugar!

 

Thanks for the input!

post #4 of 21

I've recently gotten into SMBC as well.  I used that same recipe and it's great!  I used fresh eggs the first time I made it, but it took a long time to separate all the eggs and then you lose some eggs if the yolk breaks... The next batch I made with eggs whites from a carton.  A quart would make of 3 batches of icing and it cost under $4 from Winco.  I thought this was a great bargain saving $, time and waste.

post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady View Post
 

".............The next batch I made with eggs whites from a carton.  A quart would make of 3 batches of icing and it cost under $4 from Winco.  I thought this was a great bargain saving $, time and waste.

Pastrybaglady:  can't imagine someone in a huge bakery making 25 quarts of icing cracking eggs, but maybe they do?  It's not that hard to do, and fresh quality ingredients make great baking.

 

Carton eggs don't seem to whip up to the same volume as fresh (at least for me they don't)

but they are pasteurized.   non-commercial home baker opinion here

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Reply
post #6 of 21
I'm a homebaker as well icon_smile.gif I've read on different threads there is a difference between fresh and pasteurized but not a huge one. The OP was talking about using meringue powder (which I have never done), I just wanted to offer another option. I wonder if anyone has ever made SMBC with fresh, pasteurized and meringue powder and can tell us the differences?
post #7 of 21

Shoot....the eggs are the cheap part!  What about all that butter...yikes.8-O

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONFECTIONERIE View Post

 

".......Can I make a SMBC with a meringue made from meringue powder?....."

confectionerie:  short answer - probably.    long answer - don't.  There is not much need to.

Once you've tasted SMBC you'll rarely look back. The time it takes to make is WELL worth it IMO.

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Reply
post #9 of 21

This is a recipe I have made using a couple of different recipes.  I have made several variations of this and have always had great results.  The liquid that would usually be water I subbed  for alcohol.  As far as I can tell, most of the alcohol cooks out. 

Champagne or Spiced Rum SMBC

3 T.+1tsp. Meringue Powder         Scant 2/3 C. pink champagne or Spiced Rum                          1 ½ C. sugar                             Pinch of salt.                        

2 C.(1lb.)[4 sticks] butter room temp.

Place first 4 ingredients in top of double boiler.  Fill bottom pan with ½ inch water and bring to boil and lower to simmer. Place top pan over simmering water and gently whisk until ingredients are hot (about 130-140 degrees) and sugar is dissolved.  Pour into mixer bowl with the wire whisk attached and whip on medium until mixture is cooled, about 5 + minutes.  Outside of bowl should be cool to touch. Stop mixer, remove whisk and attach paddle.  Beating at low speed, add butter in 8 to 10 additions.  Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until butter cream is thick and smooth--up to 5 minutes longer.

live to ride
Reply
live to ride
Reply
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post
 

confectionerie:  short answer - probably.    long answer - don't.  There is not much need to.

Once you've tasted SMBC you'll rarely look back. The time it takes to make is WELL worth it IMO.

 

It's not so much the time aspect that bothers me.  I consider myself a perfectionist so taking my time with something isn't an issue.  I'm just rather young, (living paycheck-to-paycheck and working on my student loan debt) and all my spare funds go directly into my fledgling baking business and it's hard for me to spend so much money on eggs.  My first SMBC attempt will definitely be a true SMBC, egg whites and all, just so that I can get the hang of it.  Maybe I'll fall so in love with it that I won't even bother with a meringue powder version!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynee View Post
 

This is a recipe I have made using a couple of different recipes.  I have made several variations of this and have always had great results.  The liquid that would usually be water I subbed  for alcohol.  As far as I can tell, most of the alcohol cooks out. 

Champagne or Spiced Rum SMBC

3 T.+1tsp. Meringue Powder         Scant 2/3 C. pink champagne or Spiced Rum                          1 ½ C. sugar                             Pinch of salt.                        

2 C.(1lb.)[4 sticks] butter room temp.

Place first 4 ingredients in top of double boiler.  Fill bottom pan with ½ inch water and bring to boil and lower to simmer. Place top pan over simmering water and gently whisk until ingredients are hot (about 130-140 degrees) and sugar is dissolved.  Pour into mixer bowl with the wire whisk attached and whip on medium until mixture is cooled, about 5 + minutes.  Outside of bowl should be cool to touch. Stop mixer, remove whisk and attach paddle.  Beating at low speed, add butter in 8 to 10 additions.  Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until butter cream is thick and smooth--up to 5 minutes longer.

 

Thank you!  I'll definitely try this!

post #11 of 21

When I use carton egg whites, I always make sure to add some cream of tartar and whip them at high speed to get them ultra stiff.  I have had very good luck with it.  I use the carton that is green and white (not the Eggbeaters brand).

 

I vary between using fresh egg whites and carton egg whites.  Can't say that I can taste a difference between the end product.  If using fresh, I heat them up to 160 degrees F.  If using carton, 140 degrees F.

Don't bite off more than you can chew.  One day you may not be able to swallow.

Flowers
(4 photos)
First Communion
(2 photos)
Baby Shower
(4 photos)
Reply

Don't bite off more than you can chew.  One day you may not be able to swallow.

Flowers
(4 photos)
First Communion
(2 photos)
Baby Shower
(4 photos)
Reply
post #12 of 21
I feel like meringue powder is not that cheap. I can find eggs for pretty cheap. Do you have an Aldi near you? Their eggs are very cheap.
post #13 of 21
How many times can I say "cheap" in one post?! icon_smile.gif
post #14 of 21
Whenever I used carton egg whites they never come out the same as regular egg whites. I now only use egg whites from eggs.
post #15 of 21

Using eggs from a carton for meringue ? read the packaging ... some do not recommend their product for meringue-type items ..

 

SMBC - to use meringue powder, follow the instructions on the package to make the equivalent of large egg whites required. Once made up, proceed as with the rest of the recipe ..example: 

http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.co.il/2011/11/meringue-buttercream-with-meringue.html

 

To cost it out, rough calculating ...

 

* Liquid Egg: 16 in a $4.50 carton
* Eggs: 12 in a $2.50 carton 
* Wilton Meringue Powder from Amazon: $9.97 for 8 ounce container using 1 tb per 3 tb water per egg white - 8oz container is 36 teaspoons or 12 tablespoons which is equivalent of 12 egg whites

 

then 

 

* Liquid egg - 4.50 divided by 16 = 28 cents each egg white

* whole egg - 2.50 divided by 12 = 11 cents if you use the yolk for something else, or 22 cents if you discard the yolk

* Meringue powder - 9.97 divided by 12 = 83 cents per "egg white" [Corn starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, artificial flavors, silicon dioxide.]

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Swiss Meringue Buttercream