Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Wilton hidden pillars or SPS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wilton hidden pillars or SPS?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I've been torn between getting either the Wilton hidden pillars or the SPS and can't decide... I am reading good things about both.

 

The hidden pillars would be easily available at the local craft store, but I'd have to special order SPS and pay shipping.

 

What would you recommend is best between the two please? Thank you for the help!!

post #2 of 11

Hands down, SPS. And if you have a local cake supply store (not hobby lobby or michael's but an actual cake supply store) you might check there. My little cake store carries sps...although they charge a little more for it than if you order from oasis. It probably works out to be the same with shipping! :)

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #3 of 11

Is the Oasis SPS system the same as those sold at Global Sugar Art because there is quite a difference in price.  I've never used this system, only straws, and thought I should purchase the system and give it a try.

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung View Post
 

Is the Oasis SPS system the same as those sold at Global Sugar Art because there is quite a difference in price.  I've never used this system, only straws, and thought I should purchase the system and give it a try.

 

Yes, it's the same and it's a huge difference in price! If I have enough time, I order from Oasis. If I don't, I go to my cake store.

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #5 of 11

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'll order from Oasis.  I have a four tier wedding cake next weekend.  Bottom layer is a dummy.  I wish I had ordered this a week ago!  I've seen so much about the SPS, especially from Leah, but was afraid to try it.  I don't do many cakes but this one next week needs to be near perfect!.  Fortunately, I can deliver it in two parts.  

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung View Post
 

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'll order from Oasis.  I have a four tier wedding cake next weekend.  Bottom layer is a dummy.  I wish I had ordered this a week ago!  I've seen so much about the SPS, especially from Leah, but was afraid to try it.  I don't do many cakes but this one next week needs to be near perfect!.  Fortunately, I can deliver it in two parts.  

 

It's a great system, you'll love it, there's a great youtube video about how to use it. I highly recommend watching it before your first time using sps. It just goes over a few details that you might not think of if you haven't used it before.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURyXNQRuYY

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone! I'll go with SPS!
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Ok..another question! Do the Wilton pillars fit the SPS plates? If so, which Wilton pillars? The hidden pillars or the plastic dowels?

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcakes View Post
 

Ok..another question! Do the Wilton pillars fit the SPS plates? If so, which Wilton pillars? The hidden pillars or the plastic dowels?

 

No they don't, you need the sps pillars to fit into the sps plates.

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #10 of 11

Thanks.  I watched the video.  Now I understand how this works.  Why oh why didn't I use it before!!!!!!!!!!  :)

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thank you sixinarow! I placed the order! Excited about using SPS finally!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Wilton hidden pillars or SPS?