Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › The secret to rolling out fondant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The secret to rolling out fondant? - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

The mat is great for some fondants (Fondx, MMF, a few others) but terrible for others. It is not fondarific friendly. I'm a fondarific girl. You can have mine. Seriously. Tried it twice, rolled it up, & never used it again.


Right.  Fondarific & Duff's fondant are candy melt based and very high in fats.  Their directions advise that they be rolled out on PS.  If I'm using one of them, I capitulate and roll on PS.

 

I only roll ON a piece of The Mat.  I don't use it [the way it was intended] as a 2 piece "system" where you roll the fondant between the 2 sheets.  I don't want to use it to put the fondant on my cake--only for rolling the fondant.  I use a fondant smoother and want the surface of my fondant to be dry & smooth when doing so.

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot View Post


Right.  Fondarific & Duff's fondant are candy melt based and very high in fats.  Their directions advise that they be rolled out on PS.  If I'm using one of them, I capitulate and roll on PS.

 

I only roll ON a piece of The Mat.  I don't use it [the way it was intended] as a 2 piece "system" where you roll the fondant between the 2 sheets.  I don't want to use it to put the fondant on my cake--only for rolling the fondant.  I use a fondant smoother and want the surface of my fondant to be dry & smooth when doing so.

I have The Mat and had nothing but problems with the thing.  How do you use only the bottom?  How do you get it off The Mat and onto the cake?

post #18 of 27

see just when I think I might get one along come folks who have problems with it...

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker View Post

I have The Mat and had nothing but problems with the thing.  How do you use only the bottom?  How do you get it off The Mat and onto the cake?


I adhere one Mat to my Corian counter using water. I smear on the thinnest film of crisco and then roll out the fondant.  I can either pick up the piece of fondant with my hands [if it's small enough] or pick it up on my rolling pin [I use the long Wilton pin] and then draping it over the cake.

 

IMG_2414

Courtesy of: http://undomesticdiva.com/2011/11/04/how-to-fake-a-fondant-cake/

 

Also seen here:  http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/rolled-fondant.cfm

post #20 of 27
I've been thinking about getting The Mat as well. I use a large piece of Vinyl like HowSweet, it works fine. I have issues with buying new cake 'toys' they make The Mat look so easy though lol. What kind of fondant are you using? BatterUp, I read a lot of reviews on extruders and ended up buying was actually a clay extruder with a crank type handle it was such a pain I used it once and that's all! Now I want the big one they've been advertising in the CC magazine, it look like a gun. I would stay away from the crank handles, but maybe I just need to use it more.
post #21 of 27

that sounds like the one I seen. It is used in the purse tutorial that was on the front page yesterday...don't know if it's still there. Don't know if you were asking me but I use MMF, SI and I am thinking of trying Pettinice since Restaurant Depot has it pretty cheap ($40/15lbs)

post #22 of 27
Pettinice is, in some was like MMF. It's a bit of a hibred. Fondx is the most like MMF (IMO).

I have the green extruder by Merkins. Marina Sousa uses it in one of her craftsy classes. Love it. Works great & is usually big enough. This last cake (gold, silver, & pearl) made me wish I had a bigger one. That was the first time.

Yes. Batterup, if you decide you want it, I'll send ya mine.

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #23 of 27

I had huge problems with Pettinice. It is so incredibly soft and stretchy, I had problems with rips and it was a pita trying to make ruffles. On the other hand, SINCE it's so soft, you can buff out tiny wrinkles and tears. But overall, the negative outweighed the positive with Pettinice for me. It's hard to find a fondant that you like, you just have to try a bunch of them to see which one you like best. If you've never tried it, make a batch of Michele Foster's fondant (mff) it's a lot smoother than mmf, holds up much better and I really like the workability. Fondant is a subjective thing!

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #24 of 27

I found I had to use the mat at least 4 times before it was seasoned to the point getting fondant off wasn't a big deal until recently.  You know how dark colored fondant can be more difficult?  I couldn't get it off the mat until I used some PS on the bottom mat and still ended up lifting it myself anyway. 

I agree with DD that it is good for some fondants and miserable with others.  I normally use Carma and have no problems with that.

 

Removing the fondant from the mat to the cake is a stretching motion of the mat  - not lifting the fondant.  There is a video that I watched a couple of times before I figured it out.  I prefer just lift for smaller cakes - I find it easier to position the fondant myself.  I do like the fact it is food safe vinyl. 

post #25 of 27

 

I cut and pasted this from  a post  I made in another discussion, so excuse the repetitiveness if you have  seen it before!  I still love the Mat.  It works very well with the "Massas".  I agree with the above posts,  Duff's and Fondarific don't work well with it because they stick and have pock marks.  I don't usually use those brands because I find them so difficult to work with, Mat or no Mat. Even so, I bought red and black fondarific recently to save time coloring.  It tasted great, but was so sticky and hard to work with I peeled it all off and threw it away.  Just not what I am used to working with.   Colored my usual Massa Grischuna neutral and it was perfect.   

 

---------

 

 

I have had the mat for 2 years and I love It.  I did a fondant test last year comparing 7 or 8 different types of fondant, and found that some are sticky and stretchy and hard to work with.  These also had a tendency to stick to the mat.  Without referring to my notes, I believe it was Duff's and Fondarific that are very soft and sticky.  I also found that there is a trick to working with the Mat that makes a huge difference.  I also don't recall this maneuver being stressed in the instruction video I watched last year.  The trick for me is to "release and flip"  frequently.  As the fondant is rolled out, it does tend to stick to the mat, and then becomes more and more difficult to get to roll out further and starts to grab and ripple.  (Just like rolling out cookie or pie dough with saran wrap - you must release the saran wrap now and then so the dough will spread and not stick.)  Another important factor of course, is finding the right fondant that handles well.  I use mostly Massa Grischuna or Carma Tropic, both of which handle beautifully.

 

1) place fondant between the 2 layers of the mat.  (I make a disc freehand, or with a roller on just the lower Mat at first to get a head start).

2) roll out from the center several times as shown in the video,

3) when it stops spreading as easily or starts to ripple, peel off the top layer and lay it back on again.  Then flip the whole thing over, and peel off the bottom (now top) layer and replace.  

4) Roll out this new side a few times until the spreading slows, and/or ripples are occurring, and then "release and flip" again

5) repeat.....

 

Each time you release, you can check for and pop any air bubbles.  The releasing prevents wrinkles, facilitates spread,  and keeps it from really sticking at the end.

 

Just before placing on the cake, release the mat to see which side looks best and should be the outside.  With the good side up, release and replace the mat and pat or roll a time or two to just slightly stick it down.   Flip it over and  peel off the Mat.   It is ready to apply to the cake.  When finished and on the cake, the outer exposed surface should be nice and smooth, and should have separated easily because it was pre-released.

 

HTH!

I'd rather be baking!
Reply
I'd rather be baking!
Reply
post #26 of 27

good info Yortma. Thanks

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma View Post

 

I cut and pasted this from  a post  I made in another discussion, so excuse the repetitiveness if you have  seen it before!  I still love the Mat.  It works very well with the "Massas".  I agree with the above posts,  Duff's and Fondarific don't work well with it because they stick and have pock marks.  I don't usually use those brands because I find them so difficult to work with, Mat or no Mat. Even so, I bought red and black fondarific recently to save time coloring.  It tasted great, but was so sticky and hard to work with I peeled it all off and threw it away.  Just not what I am used to working with.   Colored my usual Massa Grischuna neutral and it was perfect.   

 

---------

 

 

I have had the mat for 2 years and I love It.  I did a fondant test last year comparing 7 or 8 different types of fondant, and found that some are sticky and stretchy and hard to work with.  These also had a tendency to stick to the mat.  Without referring to my notes, I believe it was Duff's and Fondarific that are very soft and sticky.  I also found that there is a trick to working with the Mat that makes a huge difference.  I also don't recall this maneuver being stressed in the instruction video I watched last year.  The trick for me is to "release and flip"  frequently.  As the fondant is rolled out, it does tend to stick to the mat, and then becomes more and more difficult to get to roll out further and starts to grab and ripple.  (Just like rolling out cookie or pie dough with saran wrap - you must release the saran wrap now and then so the dough will spread and not stick.)  Another important factor of course, is finding the right fondant that handles well.  I use mostly Massa Grischuna or Carma Tropic, both of which handle beautifully.

 

1) place fondant between the 2 layers of the mat.  (I make a disc freehand, or with a roller on just the lower Mat at first to get a head start).

2) roll out from the center several times as shown in the video,

3) when it stops spreading as easily or starts to ripple, peel off the top layer and lay it back on again.  Then flip the whole thing over, and peel off the bottom (now top) layer and replace.  

4) Roll out this new side a few times until the spreading slows, and/or ripples are occurring, and then "release and flip" again

5) repeat.....

 

Each time you release, you can check for and pop any air bubbles.  The releasing prevents wrinkles, facilitates spread,  and keeps it from really sticking at the end.

 

Just before placing on the cake, release the mat to see which side looks best and should be the outside.  With the good side up, release and replace the mat and pat or roll a time or two to just slightly stick it down.   Flip it over and  peel off the Mat.   It is ready to apply to the cake.  When finished and on the cake, the outer exposed surface should be nice and smooth, and should have separated easily because it was pre-released.

 

HTH!


Nice!  I seem to recall a video than discouraged releasing the top mat so as not to trap air however flipping and releasing is something I will definitely try.  Thanks for the tip. :)

 

jeanne

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › The secret to rolling out fondant?