Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Wilton Course I... 2nd week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wilton Course I... 2nd week

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Today I had my second week taking Wilton course I. It was exciting. Never had so much fun in class. I was the odd ball of the class and did a fish cake while everybody else did the cupcake. I am so looking forward to next week class.
Has anybody else enjoyed their courses? Have you continued to do cakes and started your own small business?

Hope to hear from my fellow cakers.
post #2 of 15
I am also having a good time in the Wilton Classes. I was the oddball, too. I did lemons for my class 2 cake. I just finished course 2, and plan to start course 3 next month. I will say that to get the most out of the classes, I have done alot of my own research, then brought my questions to class.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidcakery View Post

I am also having a good time in the Wilton Classes. I was the oddball, too. I did lemons for my class 2 cake. I just finished course 2, and plan to start course 3 next month. I will say that to get the most out of the classes, I have done alot of my own research, then brought my questions to class.

That's not a bad idea. But I think I am the only one in class that's shy... I won't say much unless I need help. Wow, course two. Is it as much work like it is for course one?
post #4 of 15

that sounds fun.  I took a course at my local cake supply store and really liked it too

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloIamSM View Post

that sounds fun.  I took a course at my local cake supply store and really liked it too

Did you keep going or just stopped?
post #6 of 15
Course 2 is less work, because you are really just learning flowers, and don't make a cake til the final class. But it is still alot of royal icing to make and bring. This was my final cake.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidcakery View Post

Course 2 is less work, because you are really just learning flowers, and don't make a cake til the final class. But it is still alot of royal icing to make and bring. This was my final cake.

That's awesome... Less work... I love your final cake... Still thinking of a theme for course 1 final project...
post #8 of 15
Just look back over your skills, and pick one or two you liked doing, like drop flowers or something. Then look at Wilton's site for ideas using those techniques, and try to do a spin off of those. I hated my final cake in course 1, but I just looked at it as more practice rather than a finished product. However, it would have come out better if I would have sketched it out first.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidcakery View Post

Just look back over your skills, and pick one or two you liked doing, like drop flowers or something. Then look at Wilton's site for ideas using those techniques, and try to do a spin off of those. I hated my final cake in course 1, but I just looked at it as more practice rather than a finished product. However, it would have come out better if I would have sketched it out first.

Oh okay... I will do that. Thanks for the tip...
post #10 of 15

Great cakes ladies.   I have taken all the courses years ago and now I teach the Courses.

 

I love the creativity of all my students.  Good luck with your future classes.   Practice and patience is your best friend.  Also the difference between a good cake and a great cake is attention to details.

 

Have fun and happy caking.

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada   www.TeriLovesCake.ca   Strictly Wheat & Gluten-Free         

 

Reply

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada   www.TeriLovesCake.ca   Strictly Wheat & Gluten-Free         

 

Reply
post #11 of 15

I took all 4 courses a year and a half ago.  Loved the courses, but found couse 3 and 4 to be my favorite.  I am a fairly quick study and now I sell to clients.  Good Luck and have a great time.

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Reply

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Reply
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsy bug View Post

I took all 4 courses a year and a half ago.  Loved the courses, but found couse 3 and 4 to be my favorite.  I am a fairly quick study and now I sell to clients.  Good Luck and have a great time.

I am as well. I was thinking about skipping Course 2 and going straight to Course 3 & 4 but Then i realized that doing all courses i will know how to do it all. That's is what I would like to do. Any advice on how to get started.
post #13 of 15

I would take course two, it's good information to have in your toolbelt.  My best advise would be to practice, practice, practice as often as you can.  While I was working my way through all the courses, my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers got to sample an awful lot of cake.  While I was learning to decorate I was also perfecting my recipes.  For me, it just blossomed from there.  I was lucky enough to have a daytime job where I come in contact with a lot of people who got to sample my goodies.

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Reply

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Reply
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsy bug View Post

I would take course two, it's good information to have in your toolbelt.  My best advise would be to practice, practice, practice as often as you can.  While I was working my way through all the courses, my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers got to sample an awful lot of cake.  While I was learning to decorate I was also perfecting my recipes.  For me, it just blossomed from there.  I was lucky enough to have a daytime job where I come in contact with a lot of people who got to sample my goodies.

I do practice all the time. I live in a townhouse so when I bake I like to give a few neighbors samples as well as the maintenance men. They love me because that's their sweet for the day or week. Now with your recipes are they made from scratch yourself or from a book? I ask because I have a book but not sure on how everything will go. Luck you. I no longer can work because of a job related injury that resulted in nerve damage. But I will some how it get it out. Some how. Lol
post #15 of 15

As far as my recipes, they are a combination of totally from my head and cookbooks.  I love to read through cookbooks to get inspired.

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Reply

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Wilton Course I... 2nd week