Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › help ladies first cake due this sat aug 3 need help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

help ladies first cake due this sat aug 3 need help - Page 2  

post #16 of 31
I'm not suspicious, just WTF!!!!

Get your ducks in a row -- THEN go into business.
post #17 of 31
Sometimes people make great cakes as a hobby for family and friends and then with all the oooohs and aaahhhhs and 'you could make a business out of this' go ahead and take a 'real' order. It's not to say that the person can't do it, just that they are significantly underprepared and also struggling with the basics and in particular the assertiveness needed to deal with some customer's demands. I can see why some of the more experienced/professionals find these scenarios frustrating, but this lady seems a little out of her depth and in need of a little advice and CC is a great place for this. I know I have learnt a lot from everyone on here and my cakes have become better and better in light of this. In reference to the woeful undercharging, yes this is definitely not a decent amount for this cake, however, considering this lady's lack of experience, is probably a good bet whilst she is starting out, as long as she lets the customer know why the price is that low and is honest about being able to/not able to fill all requests in relation to her experience. You don't have to say you have no/little experience, you say 'I'm starting out and need to collate a portfolio, therefore I will just charge you expenses, though future cakes will be at market rate with a discount for returning customers'
We all started somewhere! Similarly, to this lady, respect your customer - be honest, (if you havent done something before, say 'oh that is new for me, but ive seen it done and am pretty confident ill be able to do it - only if you are confident you can do it). don't be unrealistic, and think logically about your creative process. Sugar work can be done in advance. Fondant needs drying time before stacking, if you only have one oven, the baking of three tiers needs thinking about, then cooling time etc. also you don't want to be transporting anything with fresh royal or buttercream, particularly in warm weather as it will slide. It needs to set. Balance all this against keeping your cake as fresh as possible. Don't put cream and fresh fruit in it unless you are making a naked cake or a gateau. This is a no no. Hope this helps x my final piece of advice is to use this site, look at other people's cakes and think of the standard you want to achieve and where you are heading with your craft. its all well and good wanting to charge £££££ for a cake because others do but if your quality isnt there you wontget repeat business and negative word of mouth is damaging. read the tutorials, read the conversations, take any advice from people that know. It may sound harsh to have your organisation and expertise questioned or criticised but it will make you better! Lots of luck x x
Speech therapist by day and cake decorator when I can fit it in! Not a business, just a love of all things cake! www.facebook.com/CakeChemistryUK
Speech therapist by day and cake decorator when I can fit it in! Not a business, just a love of all things cake! www.facebook.com/CakeChemistryUK
post #18 of 31

I think the fact that she is asking how to do every detailed step is why people are questioning her experience. She posted this twice and on the other thread it was clear she has never used fondant before. It was really poor judgement to take an order when you have never done something before.

 

We do all have to start somewhere....and that somewhere should be practice practice practice...and then get licensed BEFORE taking any orders. Or do whatever your state/city requires...

 

Ok, so what is your plan for stacking this cake? What type of support system are you planning to use? What recipe? You can't use a soft cake for a stacked cake....it needs to be firm.

After torting, filling and crumbcoating you want to let your cake settle or it will do it under the weight of the fondant and will be lumpy. You want to place a thick dam in between layers. This will also help keep your cake from settling under the weight of your fondant....

post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 
Yes i am asking advice because this is my first cake like i said already and i want to make sure i do it right! Theres never any harm in asking. If it bothers you or anybody you dont have to replay!! Every baker has there own way of doing things and i wanted to see. Like for example alot of you guys on here say not to use whipping cream and when i order my cakes for events thats always what i pick for.my fillings and never the baker said no. So thats why i thought it was fine. On the other questions i started asking because i just found this sight and ive seen alot of ppl do it diff. Ways and i started doughting myself. Theres no need to be rude if you do not like or my post gets you angry or anoyyed then simply dont replay.
post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
I have worked with fondant i think i said i did . Iv worked with it a couple of times before. but when i have it was cakes for close family and we ate it almost immidietly after i was done making it and so i didnt get to see if after a having sit for a while somthing would happen since after i crumbcoated and all i didnt refridge it for a hour. So thats why i asked . And now i know not to use whipped cream but idk why the ppl i order from have that for an option
post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
I started doughting myself when i saw this site and thats why i asked ppl no need to be rude! If this post gets you angry or annoyed simply dont replay. Gosh! Im also 8months preggo and dont need to be dealing qith stuck up rude ppl.
post #22 of 31
Thread Starter 
And thanks to the ppl that understand.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppycakez View Post

Im also 8months preggo

What happens to your customer if you go into labor tomorrow?
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post


I'm with you and carmijok I find this post suspicious she's asking for advice on every single step of cake making

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok View Post


What she said. And I'm always suspicious of posts like this anyway. I'm wearing my meany-pants too!

 

Out of curiousity, why are posts like this "suspicious"?  It's understandable if you think someone is in over their head, but how is it suspicious?  What are you suspicious of?

 

Just curious.  I see that word thrown out a lot.

post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake View Post

 

 

 

Out of curiousity, why are posts like this "suspicious"?  It's understandable if you think someone is in over their head, but how is it suspicious?  What are you suspicious of?

 

Just curious.  I see that word thrown out a lot.

I think it usually means they suspect the OP of being a troll and posting something to get a rise out of people. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 View Post

I think it usually means they suspect the OP of being a troll and posting something to get a rise out of people. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

Seriously??? People do that on here? I see it a lot on political sites but I never would have thought people would do that on a cake page!! lol

post #27 of 31
^^ yeah they're called Internet or forum trolls. They literally go around from website to website to make ridiculous posts just to get people responding and arguing. There's literally no reason for it. People are Just silly

FYI: I'm not saying the OP IS or ISN'T a troll. Just explaining the term
post #28 of 31

Ah, thanks for explaining.  I'm like BatterUpCake, seen that sort of behaviour on political/news sites but didn't think that would happen on a cake forum!  Kind of sad, really.  It's just cake!

 

Edited to add that "it's just cake" only applies to discussions... not to pricing ;)

post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake View Post

It's just cake!

Them there is fightin words round these parts! lol

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

Them there is fightin words round these parts! lol

haha!  No doubt.  Added an edit in there quickly :p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
This thread is locked  
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › help ladies first cake due this sat aug 3 need help