Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Asking to borrow my cake tin! (A bit of a rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asking to borrow my cake tin! (A bit of a rant) - Page 2

post #16 of 32

over the years my list of things I did not lend out grew, starting with, first and foremost, my husband, my kids , my sewing machine, cake things, my husbands tools, my car, and so on, it grew to the point where I just didn't lend any thing out, I will give something away, but I do not lend, I would probably lend a cup of sugar, of an egg, but nothing that  could get broken, dented, or mad because I said Oh my DH  can do that for you.

post #17 of 32

Last year a lady asked me to make her twins their birthday cakes. I did, and they looked and tasted great - I know, because she said so. This year, I got a cheeky email from her asking if she could borrow a "number 7" tin. When I finally realised that she wanted a tin in the shape of a number 7 - not a 7" round or square - I sent her the address of a shop that might have one she could buy, and instructions found on internet about how to make numbers out of round or square cakes just in case. I probably shouldn't have replied at all but at least I got rid of her. Cheek of it!!

post #18 of 32

One thing I will say though, is that I might consider lending my pans and equipment depending upon who is doing the asking.  I have friends I would lend things to in a heartbeat, but they are people who would replace something if it were to break and not take advantage of me.

My husband's co-worker, whom I have met twice, has dozens of pans from her grandmother in all shapes and sizes.  She has offered them up to me anytime .  I have not yet taken up the offer and I cannot believe her incredible generosity.  It's just not to be expected!  

I have a friend with a swimming pool and her neighbors and their 5 kids are in it everyday...!  I simply cannot get over how some take advantage of generosity.

post #19 of 32
I'd love to see these people try going to the salon and asking to borrow the scissors. Or pulling into a garage and asking the mechanic if they can borrow his tools. Maybe pop by the doctors office and ask to borrow the prescription pad.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom View Post

One thing I will say though, is that I might consider lending my pans and equipment depending upon who is doing the asking.  I have friends I would lend things to in a heartbeat, but they are people who would replace something if it were to break and not take advantage of me.

My husband's co-worker, whom I have met twice, has dozens of pans from her grandmother in all shapes and sizes.  She has offered them up to me anytime .  I have not yet taken up the offer and I cannot believe her incredible generosity.  It's just not to be expected!  

I have a friend with a swimming pool and her neighbors and their 5 kids are in it everyday...!  I simply cannot get over how some take advantage of generosity.

Oh, we have a pool and we will let kids swim, and then the next day they will be in their suits, holding towels, nonchalantly standing at the end of our driveway... My daughter's friends are the worst.

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post

I'd love to see these people try going to the salon and asking to borrow the scissors. Or pulling into a garage and asking the mechanic if they can borrow his tools. Maybe pop by the doctors office and ask to borrow the prescription pad.

OMG, I think I know someone who would love to do that...

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 View Post

Yes, ask her if you could borrow her wedding ring or her car while she borrows your pan.
I can't believe she is trying to guilt you into borrowing a pan. Tell her to go buy an aluminum one from Kroger! If she wants a nice quality pan she should buy one or pay you to make one. People like this will never give you your things back! And our supplies are expensive!
To follow up with it being your fault that her son isn't going to have a birthday cake, she's a nutter butter! The worst part is if your kids are in the same class you could end up crossing paths for years to come, yikes!

I like this idea...and if she wants to bake a cake...I agree, let her go get one of the cheap pans from the grocery store. It's not like she is a professional...if she was then she would know better then to ask!

For we are God's MASTERPIECE! He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
Reply
For we are God's MASTERPIECE! He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
Reply
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti View Post

Last year a lady asked me to make her twins their birthday cakes. I did, and they looked and tasted great - I know, because she said so. This year, I got a cheeky email from her asking if she could borrow a "number 7" tin. When I finally realised that she wanted a tin in the shape of a number 7 - not a 7" round or square - I sent her the address of a shop that might have one she could buy, and instructions found on internet about how to make numbers out of round or square cakes just in case. I probably shouldn't have replied at all but at least I got rid of her. Cheek of it!!

I don't understand how people think it is ok to ask questions like this...oh well...I guess it's the world we live in now...

For we are God's MASTERPIECE! He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
Reply
For we are God's MASTERPIECE! He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
Reply
post #24 of 32

I don't get it, imagine someone going to Carlos bakery and saying "Oh I was just wondering if you would lend me a pan? without it my child will not have a cake and it is all your fault" 

 

I have the set rule that anything that I use in my business is not to be used by others, it's all covered by my insurance and I have had to go out and buy each thing when the need for it has come around, so why shouldn't they!
 

post #25 of 32

I only lend things that I would be willing to part with forever.  

I'd rather be baking!
Reply
I'd rather be baking!
Reply
post #26 of 32

I some times wonder how these people have the cheek!! They go about life asking for things for free, yet I bet they have more money and things then everyone else as they just go about getting things for free!!!

 

I can see why you are angry.

Tell her to go to asda and buy a £5 cake!!!

Everyday is a cake day My Cupcake Blog - http://www.cup-cakes.com/
Reply
Everyday is a cake day My Cupcake Blog - http://www.cup-cakes.com/
Reply
post #27 of 32
I have lent stuff to certain friends, but it's not an open invitation. People who have that sense of entitlement get that way because nobody ever says no, so good on you for giving her a shock!
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #28 of 32
Don't do it! I let my sister in law use one and she give me back a yellow cake pan, I don't know how she manage to grease the autside of the pan but she did. thumbsdown.gif
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma View Post

I only lend things that I would be willing to part with forever.  

That is my rule of thumb as well.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by anavillatoro1 View Post

Don't do it! I let my sister in law use one and she give me back a yellow cake pan, I don't know how she manage to grease the autside of the pan but she did. thumbsdown.gif
I have seen that phenomenon on cake pans where I used to work, but it was burned dark brown by that time. I am a scourer. I just love to see metal shine, so that would really kill me.
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Asking to borrow my cake tin! (A bit of a rant)