Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Do you enjoy your storefront?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you enjoy your storefront? - Page 3

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

A customer of a home-based business being injured in or around the home (by a trip/fall, bee sting, dog bite, etc.) is actually a serious concern, and is another good reason to have business liability coverage. If a customer is injured and your homeowner's insurance provider finds out it's related to a business they could potentially deny the claim and you would be on the hook for the customer's medical bills.

Jebus H..... Thank you so much for your concern, I actually have my insurance agent over for a cupcake and a cup of coffee, every couple months, when I bake vegan. She knows what I am doing here, as I have my life, homeowners, vehicle, and business insurance through her, and have used her for the past 12 years, since I started driving. I bring cupcakes to the office every time I go up there, as they are about 2 miles from me and my LICENSED, INSPECTED, INSURED, LEGAL, HOME-BASED COMMERCIAL KITCHEN.

 

The lady who was concerned about the bee was pissed that I didn't make the 12 different flavors she wanted to try for her free tasting, for a wedding that isn't even going to occur for another 3 years. And I told her 4 times that I have a standard cake tasting I do, and no custom flavors are allowed, and she was welcome to purchase a 6" dessert cake in any flavor she likes for $22. She also showed up wit 3 kids, and 4 additional adults in 3 cars, to which I told her that I didn't have seating for everyone, and asked if she would like me to package the tasting to-go. I mention in my tasting and consultation email that I have seating for 3, and I ask that they do not bring children, as there is no way to entertain them, and I don't want my things messed with.

 

Not to mention the fact that bee stings are an act of god, and can't possibly be controlled. My neighbors have fruit trees that bees pollinate, it could be those bee's...There is no ownership of bees, and no one could be held liable for it. I don't "keep" them, and I don't live in a hypoallergenic bubble. We live in the country. Bees and squirrels and mice and birds and wasps, and raccoons are daily visitors, they are free to come and go, as they please. If they were INSIDE the bakery, there could be a problem.

 

People are so ignorant, it hurts my soul.

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

A customer of a home-based business being injured in or around the home (by a trip/fall, bee sting, dog bite, etc.) is actually a serious concern, and is another good reason to have business liability coverage. If a customer is injured and your homeowner's insurance provider finds out it's related to a business they could potentially deny the claim and you would be on the hook for the customer's medical bills.

Jebus H..... Thank you so much for your concern, I actually have my insurance agent over for a cupcake and a cup of coffee, every couple months, when I bake vegan. She knows what I am doing here, as I have my life, homeowners, vehicle, and business insurance through her, and have used her for the past 12 years, since I started driving. I bring cupcakes to the office every time I go up there, as they are about 2 miles from me and my LICENSED, INSPECTED, INSURED, LEGAL, HOME-BASED COMMERCIAL KITCHEN.

 

The lady who was concerned about the bee was pissed that I didn't make the 12 different flavors she wanted to try for her free tasting, for a wedding that isn't even going to occur for another 3 years. And I told her 4 times that I have a standard cake tasting I do, and no custom flavors are allowed, and she was welcome to purchase a 6" dessert cake in any flavor she likes for $22. She also showed up wit 3 kids, and 4 additional adults in 3 cars, to which I told her that I didn't have seating for everyone, and asked if she would like me to package the tasting to-go. I mention in my tasting and consultation email that I have seating for 3, and I ask that they do not bring children, as there is no way to entertain them, and I don't want my things messed with.

 

Not to mention the fact that bee stings are an act of god, and can't possibly be controlled. My neighbors have fruit trees that bees pollinate, it could be those bee's...There is no ownership of bees, and no one could be held liable for it. I don't "keep" them, and I don't live in a hypoallergenic bubble. We live in the country. Bees and squirrels and mice and birds and wasps, and raccoons are daily visitors, they are free to come and go, as they please. If they were INSIDE the bakery, there could be a problem.

 

People are so ignorant, it hurts my soul.

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMorgin View Post

I'm waiting it out for three years to get all of my ducks in a row first, potentially i would like to have a cute little 900 sq ft shop by appointment only, and be able to leave my day job. 

I don't know your ideas and plans, but you might not need that much space if you're appointment only. My first retail shop was approx 500 square feet with an open floor plan. There was a small retail area in the front; the kitchen was set up very much like my home kitchen. It was a great space to work in and quite affordable. When I moved to a 1000 sq ft shop it felt huge.  

 

And PS Kelly - you do know that ducks are prohibited from entering food establishments, whether or not they are lined up in a row. icon_wink.gif For health dept reasons, I assume. 

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post

And PS Kelly - you do know that ducks are prohibited from entering food establishments, whether or not they are lined up in a row. icon_wink.gif
 For health dept reasons, I assume. 

Of course it goes without saying that carrying duck insurance is a must.

madhatter.gif
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMorgin View Post

I'm waiting it out for three years to get all of my ducks in a row first, potentially i would like to have a cute little 900 sq ft shop by appointment only, and be able to leave my day job. 

I don't know your ideas and plans, but you might not need that much space if you're appointment only. My first retail shop was approx 500 square feet with an open floor plan. There was a small retail area in the front; the kitchen was set up very much like my home kitchen. It was a great space to work in and quite affordable. When I moved to a 1000 sq ft shop it felt huge.  

 

And PS Kelly - you do know that ducks are prohibited from entering food establishments, whether or not they are lined up in a row. icon_wink.gif For health dept reasons, I assume. 

hahahaha! I love it!

 

BTW, my commercial kitchen is 380sq' with an open floor plan, and a corner for consultations. I am running out of room! I think 500 sq' would be perfect!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #36 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

A customer of a home-based business being injured in or around the home (by a trip/fall, bee sting, dog bite, etc.) is actually a serious concern, and is another good reason to have business liability coverage. If a customer is injured and your homeowner's insurance provider finds out it's related to a business they could potentially deny the claim and you would be on the hook for the customer's medical bills.

The way it was worded was hilarious to me at that moment, and still is sorry Jason lol!

post #37 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post

I don't know your ideas and plans, but you might not need that much space if you're appointment only. My first retail shop was approx 500 square feet with an open floor plan. There was a small retail area in the front; the kitchen was set up very much like my home kitchen. It was a great space to work in and quite affordable. When I moved to a 1000 sq ft shop it felt huge.  

 

And PS Kelly - you do know that ducks are prohibited from entering food establishments, whether or not they are lined up in a row. icon_wink.gif For health dept reasons, I assume. 

Haha! Needed a good laugh covered in cake batter over here! 

post #38 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

 

BTW, my commercial kitchen is 380sq' with an open floor plan, and a corner for consultations. I am running out of room! I think 500 sq' would be perfect!

500 does sound like a good number does anyone have pics they can attach? thumbs_up.gif

post #39 of 39

My kitchen is 500 square feet but it is by no means an open floor plan, so it gets crowded. We are in the process of opening our storefront (in fact construction begins tomorrow!!!!). We are renting the space next to our kitchen (meaning two landlords since each unit is individually owned) and putting a walkway in between the spaces. the additional unit will also give us an office and a space for tastings. We've been open on Saturdays for a while now, operating out of our kitchen. We block off part of the front entrance so people can't walk in. I absolutely love the people that come in. So far, I haven't had any major problems store front wise. I had one customer trip over the sprinkler head (the kind that doesn't go down) and we complained to our landlords to fix it. Thankfully she was completely cool about it and we replaced the cupcakes she dropped. At our "retail" days, we offer 4-6 flavors of cupcakes and sometimes I do decorated sugar cookies. Once we open the retail side, we will have cupcakes, sugar cookies, and perhaps some scratch marshmallows. Basically, it allows us to satisfy the customers that call on a daily basis looking for cupcakes that day but still be small enough to handle the custom orders. The closest bakery to us that does "gourmet" cupcakes is 20 minutes away. 

Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
  
Reply
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Do you enjoy your storefront?