Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › What is the Most PROBLEM-FREE Edible Image Printer Available?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the Most PROBLEM-FREE Edible Image Printer Available?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

PLEASE...if you LOVE your edible image printer and you've had it for awhile and you use it regularly and it operates for you pretty much trouble-free, please share the make and model of it!

 

I am ready to pitch my Canon MP560 in the trash and buy a different printer.  I've had it for 3 years and just spent $75 on a new printhead a month ago but I am still having problems.  It's time to replace it. I'd prefer to stay with Canon but I'm open to any of them.

 

Thank you so much! :D


Edited by Cakepro - 6/7/13 at 1:18pm
~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #2 of 24

You said you just bought a printhead and it still isn't working, is that correct? If so, it may just be that your sponges are dry in your printer. This is an easy fix and may fix your problem - which may not be the printhead - but may act like it.  If you are a customer of ours you can access these easy instructions on our website by logging in to your account, going to the support section, clicking on the dampening the waste tank sponges.

These sponges if they are dry then it will make it seem like you are having a printhead problem when you are not. 

 

If you are not a customer of ours, go ahead and email us at sales@icingimages.com and we can provide you with the instructions. It is very easy to do

 

If you still have to go for a new printer, go for the Canon MG5320, best edible printer on the market right now.

 

Thank you and best of luck

Debbie
Owner
Icing Images, LLC

Have you tried our new DECOgel?

Official Distributors of Spellbinders Sweet Accents for Icing Images the first full food safe die cutting and embossing system!
Picture Cake Equipment, Supplies for Edible Printing,...




Reply

Debbie
Owner
Icing Images, LLC

Have you tried our new DECOgel?

Official Distributors of Spellbinders Sweet Accents for Icing Images the first full food safe die cutting and embossing system!
Picture Cake Equipment, Supplies for Edible Printing,...




Reply
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 

I use your spongeless cartridges and I just started using the refill bottles with the little applicator syringe thing.  Very cool.

 

My main problem is that the little rollers with the teeny little prickles that feed the paper always pick up ink as the image is printing and then there are tiny little dots that print all down the image.  Usually it's not too noticeable but I had to print 8 Texas flags and the white section of all of the flags from the second row down had tiny red dots which were VERY noticeable.

 

When I first started trying to print the flags, the red section of each flag looked like I had chosen a gradient color, starting with dark brown and then finishing in bright red.  I have only refilled the cartridges once so I'm not trying to re-use them too many times.

 

Another problem is that the blue cartridges always leak.  Always.  And it makes such a mess.

 

I have set my printer to all of the settings you recommend...paper abrasion prevention and all that.  I've thrown away a half-full set of perfectly good $75 cartridges, replaced them, bought a new printhead, and am still not happy with the prints.  

 

Thanks for the recommendation.  I hope this model takes the same cartridges as my MP560.

~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #4 of 24

I love, love, LOVE my Canon IP3600.  I don't recall if this is my third or fourth edible image printer, but it's by FAR the best I've used.  I use Icing Images ink in the refill bottles and am so glad I went that route. 

 

Hope that helps.

Everything's better with sugar on it!
Reply
Everything's better with sugar on it!
Reply
post #5 of 24

Since I started using Icing mages ink, my printer woes have been over. Also their customer service is awesome. And they give you instructions how to set the printer. made all the difference.
 

post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post

Since I started using Icing mages ink, my printer woes have been over. Also their customer service is awesome. And they give you instructions how to set the printer. made all the difference.
 

 

I already use Icing Images ink and frosting sheets and I have set my printer to all of their specifications.

~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #7 of 24

Hi Sherri,

 

Sorry, I didn't notice you were the OP.  My printer is a Canon MG5320, my third edible printer. It's not perfectly consistent - the other day I was printing logos for a corporate order and on one sheet the blue part was all turquoise and on the other, it was royal blue. As for icing sheets - I haven't tried the ones Icing images sells because I really love the ones I get from Bakery Crafts. 

 

Do you have a working aquarium at present?

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 

Aquarium?  I used to have about 300 gallons of saltwater reef tanks, a seahorse breeding tank, and a Florida tank years ago, but when we moved, I put everything in the garage and never set it all back up again. How did you know to ask that? :)

 

I haven't tried the Bakery Crafts sheets...but I got a Luck's catalog today and am thinking about ordering some from them.  Gotta love free shipping with a $75 order, and they have some really bright quins I've been looking for.

 

Do you think the difference in your blues was due to the printer?  I noticed that when I used old frosting sheets, the colors were really off!

 

Do you ever get those little teeny dots of ink traveling down the length of your frosting sheet from the paper feed rollers?  I wish I could take mine apart and clean it really well.  

 

Thanks,

Sherri

~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #9 of 24

HI Cakepro,

It appears you are having three separate problems. I looked at your order history to see what problems we had listed in your account and did not see anything. I saw you just purchased some icing sheets this year, and then before that it had been many years.  Different Icing Sheets can react differently when printing. Depending on the brand of icing sheets you have been using prior to February, you may have build up on your pinfeeds causing the lines down the page.  I am assuming you are talking about up and down the page, not left to right. The gradient problem sounds as if you have a partial clog in your printhead or your sponges may be dried out making it seem like a printhead problem when in fact it is not.  Before every changing out a printhead, you should always call first as we may be able to help you avoid that expense.  The ink for the 560 and the current mg5320 is the same, but the cartridges are not. I would suggest that you try dampening the sponges on your printer before replacing the printer itself.  Based on your printer history, it looks as if the printer has sat unused for periods of time.  You may just need to dampen the sponges. It is worth a try as it is free and easy. Just log in to your account and go to the support section. There you can find the instructions for dampening the sponges. It may save you from buying a printer. You can also find how to clean the pin feeds there as well.

Debbie
Owner
Icing Images, LLC

Have you tried our new DECOgel?

Official Distributors of Spellbinders Sweet Accents for Icing Images the first full food safe die cutting and embossing system!
Picture Cake Equipment, Supplies for Edible Printing,...




Reply

Debbie
Owner
Icing Images, LLC

Have you tried our new DECOgel?

Official Distributors of Spellbinders Sweet Accents for Icing Images the first full food safe die cutting and embossing system!
Picture Cake Equipment, Supplies for Edible Printing,...




Reply
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 

Hi Debbie,

 

Thank you ~ I'll check into the sponges suggestion.  

 

I've placed quite a few orders with your company since becoming a customer in 2008.  I have exclusively used your frosting sheets since I first ordered them on 5/18/2009. (I save all of my shopping emails. ;) )  I love the way your brand of frosting sheets taste but they are really thick, so I'm wondering if that may be part of the pinfeed problem.  I was blaming the printer for that problem but since reading Luck's catalog, where they advertise their frosting sheets as very thin, I am now wondering if the thickness of the frosting sheet may be part of the problem.  *Shrug*  I just don't know.

 

No worries about the printhead...I definitely needed to replace it!  After yet another clog late one Friday night, I got super frustrated with it and blasted the hell out of it with the high-pressure sprayer in my bakery using very hot water and ruined it.  LOL   I have had clogging problems for quite awhile but that was my own fault, as I only use the printer toward the end of each week but I used to keep it on at all times.  I happened to read in a printer repair forum after I toasted the printhead that I was supposed to turn the printer off when not in use as the printer does something to prevent the ink from drying out in the printhead in between uses.  DOH!

 

I just wish I could produce such clean, bright, vivid prints as the pre-printed ones that are commercially available.  

~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro View Post

Aquarium?  I used to have about 300 gallons of saltwater reef tanks, a seahorse breeding tank, and a Florida tank years ago, but when we moved, I put everything in the garage and never set it all back up again. How did you know to ask that? :)

 

I haven't tried the Bakery Crafts sheets...but I got a Luck's catalog today and am thinking about ordering some from them.  Gotta love free shipping with a $75 order, and they have some really bright quins I've been looking for.

 

Do you think the difference in your blues was due to the printer?  I noticed that when I used old frosting sheets, the colors were really off!

 

Do you ever get those little teeny dots of ink traveling down the length of your frosting sheet from the paper feed rollers?  I wish I could take mine apart and clean it really well.  

 

Thanks,

Sherri

Sorry for taking so long to respond! I got really busy... I should have added that I was Mantisagogo on RC and you used the same name over there. (later changed my name to angel*fish). I think I ordered some frozen copepods from you - or wanted to - it was so long ago.

 

I order the Luck's brand sheets from Bakery Crafts. I wonder if they're any less from Luck's?

 

Yes, I think it was the printer because the next time I tried to print, the blue was completely clogged :(. I should have knocked on wood right after I posted that. I spent 3 hours trying to print some stuff yesterday and finally had to redesign the order. I discovered my printer has started turning it's self off for some reason. *sigh* Don't even want to think about it until Monday at least.

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 

Mantisagogo!  What a small world! :D  I miss my reef tanks so much but oh my stars, they took up all of my free time.  I was a SAHM back then so it was wonderful but there is no way these days I could have another tank.  

 

I'm so sorry to hear about your printer disaster.  I had another one myself this past week.  I have no idea how, but the new problem is that blue gets UP INTO THE YELLOW INK TANK.  Twice, I had to manually empty the yellow tank (goodbye expensive ink) and then wick out (painfully slowly) the blue from the yellow opening. Plus, the last package of 25 frosting sheets I ordered were cut wrong...the top right corner was not cut straight...it jutted out at an angle, so if I did not remember to trim the acetate manually before loading it into the printer, it would catch in my printer, fold over the sheet and tear off the frosting.  I did not remember to trim it off of about half of that package, so that was a burn.

 

The Luck's sheets are $28 for 25 sheets with free shipping on orders over $75.  I needed sprinkles and sanding sugar anyway, so I hope to be printing on new sheets in a few days.

 

Before pitching my existing printer and buying a new one, I have the identical model at home that I use for regular printing.  I'm going to take it to the shop and install my new printhead in it along with some new ink tanks (gonna check with Bakery Crafts for those), cross my fingers, and say a prayer.  What should be taking me virtually no time at all has turned into a time-sucking fiasco of frustration. 

 

But I'm with you...putting it out of my mind until Monday.  ;)

~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #13 of 24

I use the COPY CONFECTION SYSTEM from Bakery Crafts and Lucks Icing sheets. It is a canon 4820 Printer. I usually run about 8 sheets a week for the last 6 months. Not a problem yet. The secret is to leave the printer on all the time. (it runs a cleaning cycle automatically when needed)..

 

Mark

post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 

Yikes, that's an expensive printer.  I definitely want problem-free printing, though, so I'm going to consider it.  Thank you for your input.

~ Sherri
Reply
~ Sherri
Reply
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro View Post

Mantisagogo!  What a small world! :D  I miss my reef tanks so much but oh my stars, they took up all of my free time.  I was a SAHM back then so it was wonderful but there is no way these days I could have another tank.  

 

I'm so sorry to hear about your printer disaster.  I had another one myself this past week.  I have no idea how, but the new problem is that blue gets UP INTO THE YELLOW INK TANK.  Twice, I had to manually empty the yellow tank (goodbye expensive ink) and then wick out (painfully slowly) the blue from the yellow opening. Plus, the last package of 25 frosting sheets I ordered were cut wrong...the top right corner was not cut straight...it jutted out at an angle, so if I did not remember to trim the acetate manually before loading it into the printer, it would catch in my printer, fold over the sheet and tear off the frosting.  I did not remember to trim it off of about half of that package, so that was a burn.

 

The Luck's sheets are $28 for 25 sheets with free shipping on orders over $75.  I needed sprinkles and sanding sugar anyway, so I hope to be printing on new sheets in a few days.

 

Before pitching my existing printer and buying a new one, I have the identical model at home that I use for regular printing.  I'm going to take it to the shop and install my new printhead in it along with some new ink tanks (gonna check with Bakery Crafts for those), cross my fingers, and say a prayer.  What should be taking me virtually no time at all has turned into a time-sucking fiasco of frustration. 

 

But I'm with you...putting it out of my mind until Monday.  ;)

I lost everything in a 2 week power outage from Ike. My 100 g is still running empty with just LR and a mostly dead DSB.  But like you, I have no time for it. Don't know if I'll ever do fish again. My hope is to stock it with corals - animals without brains. It broke my heart to lose my 30 or so little fish.  :(

 

Ugh! So sorry to hear of your printer disaster. Sometimes I think it would just be easier to buy a new one every year... Thanks for the info on the Luck's sheets - I think that's a little less. Bakery Craft has free shipping if you order a certain amount also, fwiw. I do have a Luck's account, but haven't bought anything from them so far.

 

And for my printer problem, as Mark said - the things have to stay turned on I guess. As long as my printer was on, it worked pretty well - we had a power outage and something reset on the printer so that it had cut itself off for a week and I didn't know it. It was a week before the funny blues happened and then in another week, it completely clogged. Power outages seem to be my bane - hahaha.


Edited by howsweet - 6/28/13 at 7:45am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › What is the Most PROBLEM-FREE Edible Image Printer Available?