Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Do you all deliver your tiered cakes in SUVs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you all deliver your tiered cakes in SUVs?

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 

I had my first cake boo-boo getting a cake out of the passenger side floor board this past weekend. Thankfully, it was not a tiered cake or for a customer. Still, that got me thinking maybe it's time to upgrade to a crossover or SUV, but I'm attached to my sweet little munchkin, she's been so good. I can't see myself trading her in unless I absolutely have to. So for those who deliver their cakes in regular ol' sedans, what measures do you take to ensure your cakes get to their destinations safe and sound? Anyone use the trunk? Back seat?

post #2 of 51
I always use the trunk and non skid mat under the boxes
post #3 of 51

I use my backseat.  Has worked for the past four years for me :)  I have had a few tiered cakes that I have been nervous about and put something underneath to make it a little more level.  

post #4 of 51
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the responses :)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

I always use the trunk and non skid mat under the boxes

 

Do you find that the trunk gets too hot in the summer? I've heard of people who let down the back seat. Maybe so that the AC can blast all the way through to the back? Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilynn03 View Post

I use my backseat.  Has worked for the past four years for me :)  I have had a few tiered cakes that I have been nervous about and put something underneath to make it a little more level.  

 

Could you please explain how you prepare your cake for the trip? I mean SPS or dowels through all the tiers? Do you place in a cake box or some other contraption like the cake safe? How many tiers do you typically tarvel with this way?

post #5 of 51
I don't do a lot of cakes but I do deliver in my truck. If you don't want to trade your car in maybe invest in a cake safe that way you don't have to trade your car in and its a one time expense for the cake safe instead of monthly payments on a new truck.
Edited by kazita - 5/6/13 at 2:41pm
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea View Post

 

 

Do you find that the trunk gets too hot in the summer? I've heard of people who let down the back seat. Maybe so that the AC can blast all the way through to the back? Not sure.

 

 

 

Last May I drove 5 tiers from Orange County CA to Yuma Arizona. I only started to have problems when the temp was above 90 degrees, but even in the air conditioned house, the cake was melting (never again).Putting the seat down also works great to keep the trunk cool, but I find that short distance deliveries don't require it. As long as the sun isn't shining on the buttercream, there isn't any problem. 

 

However, since I started using the SPS, I don't stack it before delivery. I stack it at the venue. 

post #7 of 51

Yup on a nonslip mat

post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

 

Last May I drove 5 tiers from Orange County CA to Yuma Arizona. I only started to have problems when the temp was above 90 degrees, but even in the air conditioned house, the cake was melting (never again).Putting the seat down also works great to keep the trunk cool, but I find that short distance deliveries don't require it. As long as the sun isn't shining on the buttercream, there isn't any problem. 

 

However, since I started using the SPS, I don't stack it before delivery. I stack it at the venue. 

Ha ha! And I've started out here in Yuma to go to LA, and I started feeling better about it once I got there. We have to use a lot of electricity for our ac's while making cake here. And delivering.

post #9 of 51

Near Orange, anyways, I know it's not the same area.

post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Ha ha! And I've started out here in Yuma to go to LA, and I started feeling better about it once I got there. We have to use a lot of electricity for our ac's while making cake here. And delivering.

I don't know how you do it! By 9pm my cake was a soft, leaning mess. On the upside, the flavors were all melded and it tasted delicious.
post #11 of 51

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully. :( And it really stinks when people don't listen to you about cool room temp upon delivery. icon_mad.gif

post #12 of 51
I have the answer!!

I have a Nissan Altima. My husband built a "shelf". He also built shelves for his car now that we have the baby. It's flat board covered with non skid. It has tiny feet that go on the seat & foldable legs that reach the floorboard. It's perfect!

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #13 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

I have the answer!!

I have a Nissan Altima. My husband built a "shelf". He also built shelves for his car now that we have the baby. It's flat board covered with non skid. It has tiny feet that go on the seat & foldable legs that reach the floorboard. It's perfect!

*Why did I think of a cute little girl raising her hand in class like "Me, me, me! I have the answer!!" LOL*

 

You know, every now and then I read of these resourceful husbands coming up with the most wonderful cake ideas. How nice! Well some of us are just going to have to roll up a towel and stuff the back seat cos the shelf ain't happening. LOL.

post #14 of 51

I love my little Toyota Corolla hatchback, It has heaps of room and the suspension is good , it isn't too high to get a cake in and out of . 

post #15 of 51

I haven't tried it yet but I drive a little PT Cruiser. I have heard of one bakery-a mother/daughter team-that delivers their cakes in their PT Cruiser so I know it CAN be done. I know some of you are probably thinking, "Yeah right-that's a car." Not according to the dealers and the insurance agencies-it is, in fact (because of the shape), an SUV.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Do you all deliver your tiered cakes in SUVs?