Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Louisiana Cottage Food Law--LA Home Bakers please read
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Louisiana Cottage Food Law--LA Home Bakers please read - Page 3

post #31 of 81
Thank you Manddi. I appreciate you!
post #32 of 81

Roxane....may I ask, why are puddings/refrigerated items always restricted in these bills?   We all have refrigerators and are making food for people to injest.   We could do a lot of damage regardless if the filling needs refrigerated.   I mean, what if my eggs were bad...or any other ingredient that made the client sick.   I would just think, it should be all or nothing....we can make anything....or nothing.   Not trying to sound snippy....just trying to figure out the reasoning behind it all. 

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle View Post

Roxane....may I ask, why are puddings/refrigerated items always restricted in these bills?   We all have refrigerators and are making food for people to injest.   We could do a lot of damage regardless if the filling needs refrigerated.   I mean, what if my eggs were bad...or any other ingredient that made the client sick.   I would just think, it should be all or nothing....we can make anything....or nothing.   Not trying to sound snippy....just trying to figure out the reasoning behind it all. 
Part of the health dept's job is to protect the general public from food-borne illnesses, and potentially hazardous foods (like finished products that must be refrigerated) have a higher risk of causing illness. Considering cottage food operations are usually not inspected and the health dept can't verify that they follow food safety rules correctly, high-risk foods are out. It's really all about the lowest common denominator (since most food businesses will know how to handle high-risk foods correctly) and providing at least a minimum standard of safety for consumers. It's not about ensuring 100% safety, since that's both expensive and impossible.

Cottage food laws are meant as a stepping stone and a way for casual food businesses making low-risk products to operate within the law. Renting a commercial kitchen is always an option if you want to go beyond the CFL restrictions.

In terms of the all or nothing approach, if there is no compromise on the potentially hazardous food issue (when it is eventually brought up) the bill will probably not pass. If regular inspections were required for all cottage food businesses there would be a better chance of allowing potentially hazardous foods.
post #34 of 81
Jason is exact in saying what he stated.
post #35 of 81
And personally speaking I would prefer to make something rather than nothing. If you want to go beyond CFL restrictions you would need to seek opening a business or possibly working for someone.
post #36 of 81

Roxane, I just want to thank you for all you have done to make this happen. I know there was a lot of work involved on your part and I'm sure most of your work is done but if there is anything you need, just ask I'm sure there are many of us that would help you out in a second, myself included. 

post #37 of 81
When is the final decision!?
post #38 of 81
Thank you Melissa. Nothing to do at this point. Session starts Monday and ends June 6th.
post #39 of 81

So the hearing for SB 18 got deferred to next week. Ahh, this is nerve wracking!  

post #40 of 81
That is not a bad thing at all. It's good that it was deferred. By working on these amendments on the fr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa730 View Post

So the hearing for SB 18 got deferred to next week. Ahh, this is nerve wracking!  
post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Cakes View Post

That is not a bad thing at all. It's good that it was deferred. By working on these amendments on the fr
post #42 of 81
Oops sorry. Hard to do from my phone. We are making the amendments on the front end and this also gets the restaurant association on our side! This will prevent amendments having to be made in the senate or house and having to go thru the process all over again. If that were to happen session may end before getting it passed!! We only have 39 more days of session. Better to be deferred to next week than to next year. It's a process we are handling VERY carefully to get this bill approved and signed possibly within 3 weeks!! That's a great thing!!
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Cakes View Post

Oops sorry. Hard to do from my phone. We are making the amendments on the front end and this also gets the restaurant association on our side! This will prevent amendments having to be made in the senate or house and having to go thru the process all over again. If that were to happen session may end before getting it passed!! We only have 39 more days of session. Better to be deferred to next week than to next year. It's a process we are handling VERY carefully to get this bill approved and signed possibly within 3 weeks!! That's a great thing!!

Thanks for the update Roxane. I'm not saying that being deferred is bad. I was just letting people know it was deferred. I'm just stating that the waiting is nerve wracking! Of course waiting is part of it, can't help but being nervous none the less. icon_smile.gif
post #44 of 81
Fingers are still being crossed till next week!!
post #45 of 81

How will church bake sales be affected by this?  Will all the ladies in my church need to take the Food Safety course?  Or does this apply *only* to home-based businesses?  (I'm sorry if this sounds flippant, but I'm honestly trying to figure out how this bill will work in practice)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Louisiana Cottage Food Law--LA Home Bakers please read