Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Louisiana Cottage Food Law--LA Home Bakers please read
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Louisiana Cottage Food Law--LA Home Bakers please read

post #1 of 81
Thread Starter 

The Louisiana Baker's Bill (Cottage Food Law) (SB18) is going before the Louisiana State Senate in less than two weeks. Here is the link for more information:  https://www.facebook.com/louisianabakersbill  . 

 

If you are a home based baker in Louisiana and you want to sell your product LEGALLY, then please email your state (not US) Senator and your state (not US) Rep and let them know that you want them to support SB18, the Louisiana Baker's Bill. The bill is very simple and allows cakes and cookies to be sold by home bakers. It is currently illegal in the state of Louisiana to sell baked goods made in your home kitchen. I am not the owner of the Facebook page or the originator of the bill, but I have not seen anything posted about this on here and I wanted to let all the other Louisiana cakers/cookiers know about it. It goes before the Senate first, so you have less than two weeks to email your Senator. I just wish we had a cool emblem like the Texas Cottage Food Law........

--Lynette

Reply

--Lynette

Reply
post #2 of 81

Thanks Atomic  for posting this.    I surprised compared to other states that this hasn't been on CC more.

 

The bill is so simple....I am confused.   I know some states are very specific about what they can bake and if they can or cannot sell for wholesale.    The only thing I understand is that our annual sales limit is $50k...which is very generous compared to other states.     Can someone read it and tell me what it says!  LOL....I expected the bill to be more lengthy and detailed, I guess......Jason?????????? 

 

http://legiscan.com/LA/text/SB18/id/785177/Louisiana-2013-SB18-Introduced.pdf

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #3 of 81
Woohoo! I've emailed my senators and from what I've heard through the grapevine my Parish is a definite go(I hope the grapevine is accurate!)! It's the rest of the state we need to convince!
post #4 of 81

I'm sure with 40 states already on the band wagon...Louisiana will get passed....I just don't understand what our limitations/restrictions will be. 

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #5 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle View Post

Thanks Atomic  for posting this.    I surprised compared to other states that this hasn't been on CC more.

 

The bill is so simple....I am confused.   I know some states are very specific about what they can bake and if they can or cannot sell for wholesale.    The only thing I understand is that our annual sales limit is $50k...which is very generous compared to other states.     Can someone read it and tell me what it says!  LOL....I expected the bill to be more lengthy and detailed, I guess......Jason?????????? 

 

http://legiscan.com/LA/text/SB18/id/785177/Louisiana-2013-SB18-Introduced.pdf

Wow, with a $50,000 limit?? That is a lot of cake! How would one do that in a home kitchen? Sounds like a nightmare!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle View Post

Thanks Atomic  for posting this.    I surprised compared to other states that this hasn't been on CC more.

The bill is so simple....I am confused.   I know some states are very specific about what they can bake and if they can or cannot sell for wholesale.    The only thing I understand is that our annual sales limit is $50k...which is very generous compared to other states.     Can someone read it and tell me what it says!  LOL....I expected the bill to be more lengthy and detailed, I guess......Jason?????????? 

http://legiscan.com/LA/text/SB18/id/785177/Louisiana-2013-SB18-Introduced.pdf
Remember that this is the original proposal for the bill. You can expect that the bill will get longer, more detailed, and probably more restrictive as it is debated.

Right now it basically says that you can sell cakes and cookies from home without any health dept oversight if you sell under $50K gross per year. Since you have to report all income to the Dept of Revenue, they will rat you out to the health dept if you make over $50K.

You also can't sell "unwholesome" food. I have no idea what that means.

The first changes will probably be a more detailed definition of "cakes and cookies" disallowing any potentially hazardous products, reducing the $50K income cap, and possibly adding restrictions for wholesale sales.
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Wow, with a $50,000 limit?? That is a lot of cake! How would one do that in a home kitchen? Sounds like a nightmare!
It's definitely doable. If you price at $5/serving on average that's 200 servings per week, or 300 servings per week at $3.33/serving.
post #8 of 81

That's why I'm thinking with that kind of limit....we won't have the refrigeration/filling restrictions that other states.   **fingers crossed**

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
post #9 of 81
Thread Starter 

I agree with Jason, it will have things added to to it, maybe not on the initial pass (but probably). I do think that "unwholesome" is too open to interpretation, I would guess at some point that will be defined, as it is in many other states, to mean non-perishable (so nothing that requires refrigeration). If that happens, do your homework. Some of the things that you may think are perishable may be able to be made shelf stable. The Texas cottage food law page has a recipe for cream cheese frosting that has been tested and approved to be shelf stable. As far as selling wholesale, while this law doesn't state that you can't do it, it is my understanding (and I may be wrong), that restaurants and stores cannot buy your product because they are required to be inspected by the health department and cannot sell items that are not subject to inspection. I really need to find out more about this part, because I am not entirely sure about it and well, let's face it, this is Louisiana and logic does not apply here.  I am surprised that there aren't stipulations about labeling requirements like I have seen in other state's laws.  Thanks, Debbie, for giving this a bump. I was starting to think that you and I were the only Louisianans here.

--Lynette

Reply

--Lynette

Reply
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle View Post

That's why I'm thinking with that kind of limit....we won't have the refrigeration/filling restrictions that other states.   **fingers crossed**
County health depts usually lobby against these bills, so without these types of compromises the bill might not make it out of the senate health committee (which is where county health depts have the most influence).
post #11 of 81
Thread Starter 

It's my understanding that the Dept of Health and Hospitals has been sitting in on meetings leading up to the drafting of the bill. They already had them remove some things (I think it originally said baked goods, but they changed it to cakes and cookies because they wanted to exclude bread). I'm guessing if they won't let you bake bread, they probably aren't going to be too keen on cream fillings. 

--Lynette

Reply

--Lynette

Reply
post #12 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBakes View Post

I agree with Jason, it will have things added to to it, maybe not on the initial pass (but probably). I do think that "unwholesome" is too open to interpretation, I would guess at some point that will be defined, as it is in many other states, to mean non-perishable (so nothing that requires refrigeration). If that happens, do your homework. Some of the things that you may think are perishable may be able to be made shelf stable. The Texas cottage food law page has a recipe for cream cheese frosting that has been tested and approved to be shelf stable. As far as selling wholesale, while this law doesn't state that you can't do it, it is my understanding (and I may be wrong), that restaurants and stores cannot buy your product because they are required to be inspected by the health department and cannot sell items that are not subject to inspection. I really need to find out more about this part, because I am not entirely sure about it and well, let's face it, this is Louisiana and logic does not apply here.  I am surprised that there aren't stipulations about labeling requirements like I have seen in other state's laws.  Thanks, Debbie, for giving this a bump. I was starting to think that you and I were the only Louisianans here.


I was born and lived most of my life in Baton Rouge (right off of Drusilla Lane) and now I'm in Mississippi but only 6 miles across the state line and still keep one foot in my beloved Louisiana!! So glad to know some of my fellow CC'ers are Louisianians!

post #13 of 81

That bill certainly leaves much to the imagination. I'm sure they're going to add some of the same restrictions as the other states have but, this is Louisiana... so who knows. We'll have to wait and see! What day does it go before the senate?

post #14 of 81
April 8th
post #15 of 81

Yippee...Thanks Manddi...I wonder what the process of time is...from cradle to grave on these types of bills.    Anyone know how long we should expect to wait until it is final (if approved, that is).

Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Louisiana Cottage Food Law--LA Home Bakers please read