Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Firmer cake mix
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firmer cake mix

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I have to make 2 sheet cakes this weekend. I wanted to use cake mix but I'm afraid if I use the recipe on the box the cake will break some how either by taking it out of the pan or lifting it because cake mix to me is so flimsy. So my question is does anyone know a way to make a yellow cake mix firmer more like a pound cake texture? TIA

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2sweet View Post

I have to make 2 sheet cakes this weekend. I wanted to use cake mix but I'm afraid if I use the recipe on the box the cake will break some how either by taking it out of the pan or lifting it because cake mix to me is so flimsy. So my question is does anyone know a way to make a yellow cake mix firmer more like a pound cake texture? TIA

Some say to add an extra egg and substitute milk for the water and use half as much...this makes a denser cake.  Is there a pound cake recipe on the box of mix you're using.  I know a lot of mixes have recipes on the box...or on their website.  

 If your knee doesn't touch the pavement, you're not leaning far enough.

Reply

 If your knee doesn't touch the pavement, you're not leaning far enough.

Reply
post #3 of 9

i put 4 eggs, and a little flour, along with sugar,maybe a 1/4 cup of each,   1 cup of cold water and a pack of dream whip to all my cakes, they are moist and firm, i got this from my wilton teacher, i hope this helps

post #4 of 9

oh along with any extract

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick View Post

Some say to add an extra egg and substitute milk for the water and use half as much...this makes a denser cake.  Is there a pound cake recipe on the box of mix you're using.  I know a lot of mixes have recipes on the box...or on their website.  

OH...I forgot...also add a small package of Instant Pudding mix.  Use a flavor that compliments your cake.

 If your knee doesn't touch the pavement, you're not leaning far enough.

Reply

 If your knee doesn't touch the pavement, you're not leaning far enough.

Reply
post #6 of 9

Hi Cupcake Girl...  so instead of following directions on the box, you add the following:

4 eggs, 1/4c flour, 1/4c sugar, packet of Dream Whip and that's all?  no oil or water or do you use these items in addition to the oil and water?  Also, what kind of flour, any flour or does it have to be cake flour?  Sorry for all the questions but I am also having trouble with my cakes.  Anything you can tell me would be very much appreciated from one cake maker to another...  :)

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick View Post

OH...I forgot...also add a small package of Instant Pudding mix.  Use a flavor that compliments your cake.


I've tried this before and it has turned out a very fake tasting cake. Maybe it's my tastebuds, but I'm actually not a fan of using pudding in a cake mix! 

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rica827 View Post


I've tried this before and it has turned out a very fake tasting cake. Maybe it's my tastebuds, but I'm actually not a fan of using pudding in a cake mix! 

I'm not a fan of using cake mix at all, however I've never heard anyone describe a mix with pudding added as "fake-tasting".  Mighta been a bad batch...perhaps the brand of pudding or mix used.

 If your knee doesn't touch the pavement, you're not leaning far enough.

Reply

 If your knee doesn't touch the pavement, you're not leaning far enough.

Reply
post #9 of 9
1 cup of cold water, no oil
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Firmer cake mix