Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Uh oh! Old Gold Luster Dust?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uh oh! Old Gold Luster Dust?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I've been buying Old Gold Luster dust for years and using it without problem.  I just used it on the edges of 20 cookies, and I notice that now it has a sticker that says (for decoration purposes only), does say non toxic on the label.  This is new!  Did they pass a law or something?  Can anyone comfort me that this is ok???  I've heard before all these dusts are used in England without a problem. 

 

Is another case of silver dragees...something people ate for years that suddenly got classified as inedible? 

post #2 of 10

I just ran a search online and found this:

 

Old Gold Luster Dust

Luster dust adds a high sheen metallic finish and a hint of color to just about any of your homemade goodies! Ideal for use with gumpaste, fondant, and cookies. Please note: created for the Baking Industry, luster dust is non-toxic, however considered not edible and for decorative use only.

 

and this:

 

LUSTER DUST-OLD GOLD


 

Non-Toxic. Gives subtle color with a high sheen metallic-like finish.

Contains two or more of the following: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Carmine, Mica.

Not water soluble.

2 grams.

Must be labeled "for decorative use only" and is not intended for ingestion.

 

As opposed to say Wilton dust:

 

Pearl Dust™

Give your fondant and gum paste decorations a beautiful, glittering finish! Wilton Pearl Dust creates rich, lustrous highlights on flowers, bows, letters and more. Add sparkle and fun to candy too. Easy to use, just brush onto your decoration with a soft artist brush. Or, to paint decorations pour a small amount of clear vanilla, lemon extract or vodka into a Candy Melting Plate cavity; stir in Pearl Dust and brush onto your decoration.
Edible; FDA-approved. Certified Kosher (except Orchid Pink) .05 oz. bottle.
 
I'd say that the Old gold can be used on decorations and things that won't be eaten, it is non-toxic, but shouldn't be used on parts that will be eaten.
post #3 of 10

Hi don't know if its available in the US but this product is great and safe

 

http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/paint-metallic-food-paint-dark-gold.html

post #4 of 10
Im in the uk and all our decorating lustre dusts and glitters say non toxic judt for decorating, they are fine to eat just means dont have a pot of pink glitter with your sausage and chips. Ie it wont hurt you but its not meant for eating. I know thsts a bit of an oxymoran but they have to put it on the label its safe to decorate with and safe for people to consume you just might end up with glittery poo, a bonus in my eyes lol
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embles View Post

Im in the uk and all our decorating lustre dusts and glitters say non toxic judt for decorating, they are fine to eat just means dont have a pot of pink glitter with your sausage and chips. Ie it wont hurt you but its not meant for eating. I know thsts a bit of an oxymoran but they have to put it on the label its safe to decorate with and safe for people to consume you just might end up with glittery poo, a bonus in my eyes lol


Lol

 "So find what YOU like best and make it your own! After all, It’s YOUR sandbox, I Just PLAY in it."

 

 Gretchen Price

Reply

 "So find what YOU like best and make it your own! After all, It’s YOUR sandbox, I Just PLAY in it."

 

 Gretchen Price

Reply
post #6 of 10
Living ur mantra enga just waiting for to start providing a unicirn disci dust then im on it like a car bonnetxx
post #7 of 10

Hi

 

Rainbow dust is 100% edile see below

Ingredients in the Rainbow dust metalic stuff

 

Ingredients: Water, Cornflour, Preservative (E202), Citric Acid, Soy Lecithin, E555, E171
(Patent Pending)

 

E202 potassioum sorbate

E555 : Potassium aluminium silicate

E171 Titanium dioxide

 

 

 

can't see anything any worse than all the icing colours we all use.

post #8 of 10

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Embles View Post

Im in the uk and all our decorating lustre dusts and glitters say non toxic judt for decorating, they are fine to eat just means dont have a pot of pink glitter with your sausage and chips. Ie it wont hurt you but its not meant for eating. I know thsts a bit of an oxymoran but they have to put it on the label its safe to decorate with and safe for people to consume you just might end up with glittery poo, a bonus in my eyes lol

 

 

Not all the lustre dusts just all the glitters.

Thats why i posted the Rainbow dust information see links below which explains all the legislations

 

http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/news.php?article=58

 

http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/news.php?article=61

 

http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/news.php?article=55

post #9 of 10

 I'm wanting to purchase the old gold dust that used to be mixed with alcohol and used sparingly to highlight particular features.  Does anyone know the name of the dust, or where I can locate it?

post #10 of 10

Where can you buy this product?  Do you have a link?
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Uh oh! Old Gold Luster Dust?