Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › First Complaint - :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Complaint - :( - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the newer responses, it really helps with the frustration of the situation. This is the smallest and lowest cost cake we have taken on and seems to be taking up more of our time. lol

 

With the payment of the order. It is only a hunch at the moment, as it is unusual that this is the only payment that is taking a little longer than norm. According to the payment company the funds are waiting to be transferred to our account, but they too thought it was strange that they have not cleared in the stated time and should hopefully  be completed today. The terms and conditions on our website do state that any refunds will require the return of the goods.
 

cai0311 - With all orders we ask when the cake is for and then ask what is the best delivery time am, pm etc. to ensure that there isn't too long. Definitely
will be doing a help sheet for storage and a portion cutting guide for future orders.

 

Cusomer

email reply below

-----

Hi ######
 
Thank you for your responce but unfortunately your bussiness problems are not mine. If i had received a call explaining that the cake would be delivered later than promised, at least i would have been aware. Rather than me trying to chase you for a responce and chasing where my cake was. It does state in your email that if a delivery times is not going to be met then i would have been called.
 
In responce to your questions -
The cake was stored in the same box that you delivered it to me in covered in clingfilm at room temperature.
The cake was supposed to be eaten on Saturday 2nd Feb one day after delivery.
The restaurant was ###### and the table was booked for 12 people.
 
Thank you
P.I.T.A
Catering Manager

---------------

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeShopUK View Post

Thanks for the newer responses, it really helps with the frustration of the situation. This is the smallest and lowest cost cake we have taken on and seems to be taking up more of our time. lol

 

With the payment of the order. It is only a hunch at the moment, as it is unusual that this is the only payment that is taking a little longer than norm. According to the payment company the funds are waiting to be transferred to our account, but they too thought it was strange that they have not cleared in the stated time and should hopefully  be completed today. The terms and conditions on our website do state that any refunds will require the return of the goods.
 

cai0311 - With all orders we ask when the cake is for and then ask what is the best delivery time am, pm etc. to ensure that there isn't too long. Definitely
will be doing a help sheet for storage and a portion cutting guide for future orders.

 

Cusomer

email reply below

-----

Hi ######
 
Thank you for your responce but unfortunately your bussiness problems are not mine. If i had received a call explaining that the cake would be delivered later than promised, at least i would have been aware. Rather than me trying to chase you for a responce and chasing where my cake was. It does state in your email that if a delivery times is not going to be met then i would have been called.
 
In responce to your questions -
The cake was stored in the same box that you delivered it to me in covered in clingfilm at room temperature.
The cake was supposed to be eaten on Saturday 2nd Feb one day after delivery.
The restaurant was ###### and the table was booked for 12 people.
 
Thank you
P.I.T.A
Catering Manager

---------------

Is this the email your client sent to you?? how can she say "if I had received a call" when she didnt provide you with a phone number!!!

I really think she's just a time waster trying to get a cake for free.

I would basically just politely reply saying that since she got rid of the cake your hands are thight, and you apologise if she wasnt happy with it, but as someone else said if she ever does contact you again to make a booking you are booked up!!

post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311 View Post

 

Personally, I think bakers assume people will save left over cake to show bring back but if I buy something that doesn't taste good I pitch it. And a cake might not be discovered as unedible until after it has need completely cut and served. What should a host do, go around taking the slices back from guests so she can return them?

 

In Canada, it is well known that "bad" food items must be returned with original container  to the point of sale with a proof of purchase.  If you pitch "bad" food then you cannot ask for a refund/replacement. In a restaurant, if you taste something "bad" then you are required to return the dish to the kitchen at once--if you continue to eat, then you don't have a claim for a "refund". 

 

I suspect there are similar regulations in other countries too.  The reason for the original container being returned is that it is usually inspected for contamination, proper seal, etc.   Most commercial products have a factory and batch code which is used for mass recalls if necessary.  We have all heard the news reports about those.

 

Those of us who work in regulated regions are well aware that many venues simply do not accept outside food (or only from a certified kitchen) to avoid the issue of improper storage.

 

Something similar applies to serving custom catered foods.  Yes if a cake filling has fermented (for example), then one really does take all the slices back with apologies. In a restaurant, one then quietly asks the manager to serve another dessert from the restaurant's own kitchen. One then IMMEDIATELY contacts the provider to ask how to proceed. The labelling requirements in many recent cottage food laws ensure that the contact information is right there on the immediate package.

 

I am troubled by the totally convoluted nature of this order from start to finish: haggling, ordering just before deadline, requiring delivery days before event, stagnated payment--these have all been initiated by the customer in this case and they add up to something that smells like a piece of fish left on the counter for three days.


Edited by BakingIrene - 2/4/13 at 9:39am
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeShopUK View Post

Thanks for the newer responses, it really helps with the frustration of the situation. This is the smallest and lowest cost cake we have taken on and seems to be taking up more of our time. lol

 

With the payment of the order. It is only a hunch at the moment, as it is unusual that this is the only payment that is taking a little longer than norm. According to the payment company the funds are waiting to be transferred to our account, but they too thought it was strange that they have not cleared in the stated time and should hopefully  be completed today. The terms and conditions on our website do state that any refunds will require the return of the goods.
 

cai0311 - With all orders we ask when the cake is for and then ask what is the best delivery time am, pm etc. to ensure that there isn't too long. Definitely
will be doing a help sheet for storage and a portion cutting guide for future orders.

 

Cusomer

email reply below

-----

Hi ######
 
Thank you for your responce but unfortunately your bussiness problems are not mine. If i had received a call explaining that the cake would be delivered later than promised, at least i would have been aware. Rather than me trying to chase you for a responce and chasing where my cake was. It does state in your email that if a delivery times is not going to be met then i would have been called.
 
In responce to your questions -
The cake was stored in the same box that you delivered it to me in covered in clingfilm at room temperature.
The cake was supposed to be eaten on Saturday 2nd Feb one day after delivery.
The restaurant was ###### and the table was booked for 12 people.
 
Thank you
P.I.T.A
Catering Manager

---------------

 

 

Dear PITA Customer

 

I must point out that you declined to provide me with a phone number and therefore I was unable to call ahead to let you know that I would be slightly late.  Once again, however, I do apologise for my delay in getting to you.

 

However, the fact remains that as all the cake was disposed of, I am unable to investigate your claims any further.

 

I am sorry I am able to help you any further on this occasion.

 

Yours sincerely

 

Cake Maker Who Wasn't Born Yesterday.

 

 

Do not leave yourself open for any more come back.  Get your point across to her that you're not going to roll over and give her her money back.  Let's be honest, at this stage, you've lost her as a customer now.  Even if you were to give her a full refund, she's going to bad mouth you.  So don't pay her to do so! icon_wink.gif

Inside this fat body, there's a thin woman screaming to get out...... but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!
Reply
Inside this fat body, there's a thin woman screaming to get out...... but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!
Reply
post #20 of 30

I have had a few retail businesses and always tried for 110% customer satisfaction. I know all to well that a complaint is like a punch to the gut, and a double punch when you have went out of your way to satisfy them buy giving discounts and waiving fees.

 

But no matter the case, and even if they lie to your face, The Customer Is Always Right. That is not to say become a repeat victim to this customer, satisfy them, cut your losses and never have them as a customer again.

 

When people come to me trying to change my business policy's and practices, it is a huge red flag and I pass on their order.

 

Live and Learn, Take Care.

Jimmy

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik View Post

 

 

Dear PITA Customer

 

I must point out that you declined to provide me with a phone number and therefore I was unable to call ahead to let you know that I would be slightly late.  Once again, however, I do apologise for my delay in getting to you.

 

However, the fact remains that as all the cake was disposed of, I am unable to investigate your claims any further.

 

I am sorry I am able to help you any further on this occasion.

 

Yours sincerely

 

Cake Maker Who Wasn't Born Yesterday.

 

 

Do not leave yourself open for any more come back.  Get your point across to her that you're not going to roll over and give her her money back.  Let's be honest, at this stage, you've lost her as a customer now.  Even if you were to give her a full refund, she's going to bad mouth you.  So don't pay her to do so! icon_wink.gif

 

perfect, relznik

 

one of my favorite customer service supervisor we-are-finished-here lines is, "is there anything else i can help you with?'

 

and you can say it straight up with a little smile in your voice not sarcastic (even though sarcasm would be my first choice ;) and boy is it effective

 

icon_biggrin.gif

my cookies are prettier than your cookies because this is the second time i substituted my opalescent sanding sugar when i ran out of sugar to make the batch ha!

 

Reply
my cookies are prettier than your cookies because this is the second time i substituted my opalescent sanding sugar when i ran out of sugar to make the batch ha!

 

Reply
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

In Canada, it is well known that "bad" food items must be returned with original container  to the point of sale with a proof of purchase.  If you pitch "bad" food then you cannot ask for a refund/replacement. In a restaurant, if you taste something "bad" then you are required to return the dish to the kitchen at once--if you continue to eat, then you don't have a claim for a "refund". 

 

I suspect there are similar regulations in other countries too.  The reason for the original container being returned is that it is usually inspected for contamination, proper seal, etc.   Most commercial products have a factory and batch code which is used for mass recalls if necessary.  We have all heard the news reports about those.

 

Those of us who work in regulated regions are well aware that many venues simply do not accept outside food (or only from a certified kitchen) to avoid the issue of improper storage.

 

Something similar applies to serving custom catered foods.  Yes if a cake filling has fermented (for example), then one really does take all the slices back with apologies. In a restaurant, one then quietly asks the manager to serve another dessert from the restaurant's own kitchen. One then IMMEDIATELY contacts the provider to ask how to proceed. The labelling requirements in many recent cottage food laws ensure that the contact information is right there on the immediate package.

 

Was the person that ordered the cake at the restaurant? It doesn't sound like it. It seems that the brother of the person that ordered the cake had the restaurant dispose of the cake. If that is the case, he probably didn't know his sister would want a refund or what was required for that to happen. 

 

€40 is what $60? Just refund it and never take an order from this person again.

 

And, BakingIrene, I know the purpose of having the items returned. But if I served bad cake at a dinner party I would be so embarrassed I would throw the cake away in a hurry to pretend it didn't happen. At a restaurant, when it is food prepared by them, is a different story. It is easy to prove I didn't do something wrong, store the food wrong...when I am eating right there.

"who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?"
Reply
"who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?"
Reply
post #23 of 30
Thread Starter 

Further developments

Payment finally received (wahey) - odd that out of all our orders this one took the longest. Great replies above, how tempting to send them unedited.

 

Had a quick word with the manager at the restaurant, a little bit hesitant to talk about it as he did not want to get involved. Assured them that it would not be passed on. Turns out that, the cake was kept in a carrier bag and not a box as originally stated. Not ideal for the 1 hour drive to the venue. The cake was not cut or handled by the staff but by the members of the party, also not as originally stated. Who then asked the waitress to discard all of the cake as they did not like the taste.

 

Apart from the delivery incident,  which I would have waived the delivery fee if it was charged in the first place as we WERE late. We had done everything as normal. So it is very strange that this cake was not up to standard. Maybe they are used to the store bought variety,

post #24 of 30

I'm very glad that you got paid. 

 

I have had experience of delays of 15 minutes for transactions when a bank is doing monthly accounts.  Heck it sometimes takes all of 15 minutes for an international wire transaction... but several days is an indication that something else happened. The fact that the payment was released as soon as you called (implying that a proof of purchase existed)  is a good sign.

 

So live and learn...some of us get this lesson early and some of us get it later.

post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

I'm very glad that you got paid. 

 

I have had experience of delays of 15 minutes for transactions when a bank is doing monthly accounts.  Heck it sometimes takes all of 15 minutes for an international wire transaction... but several days is an indication that something else happened. The fact that the payment was released as soon as you called (implying that a proof of purchase existed)  is a good sign.

 

So live and learn...some of us get this lesson early and some of us get it later.


The payment we use is gocardless.com. I found the admin cost paypal were charging was a little much. Where as these only take 1% admin fee with a limit of £2.00 per transaction. The only downside compared to paypal is they are not as quick to process the payments. Usually within 7 days. All previous payments have been dealt with between 5-6 days, That's why it felt strange seeing this one take over a week.

post #26 of 30

The cake was in a carrier bag?! icon_eek.gif

elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeShopUK View Post

Further developments

Payment finally received (wahey) - odd that out of all our orders this one took the longest. Great replies above, how tempting to send them unedited.

 

Had a quick word with the manager at the restaurant, a little bit hesitant to talk about it as he did not want to get involved. Assured them that it would not be passed on. Turns out that, the cake was kept in a carrier bag and not a box as originally stated. Not ideal for the 1 hour drive to the venue. The cake was not cut or handled by the staff but by the members of the party, also not as originally stated. Who then asked the waitress to discard all of the cake as they did not like the taste.

 

Apart from the delivery incident,  which I would have waived the delivery fee if it was charged in the first place as we WERE late. We had done everything as normal. So it is very strange that this cake was not up to standard. Maybe they are used to the store bought variety,

I hope this is the end of it, but watch your account.  I had someone steal a cake after the funds were put in my account. They claimed it as a fraudulent charge and the money was taken out of my account. I provided documentation that a cake had indeed been purchased and then the money was put back.  About 3 weeks later it was taken back out again. This person turned out to be good at credit card fraud and after that there was nothing I could do. The address I had for her turned out to be a monster sized apartment complex. She had purposely not given her bank an apartment number. They told me that since it was processed online and not swiped, there was nothing I could do. The police don't care. It was thankfully only a $200 cake, so there's no point in wasting anymore time on it.

 

So now, I'm asking to see the customer's card and and driver's license.

.
 
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post

I hope this is the end of it, but watch your account.  I had someone steal a cake after the funds were put in my account. They claimed it as a fraudulent charge and the money was taken out of my account. I provided documentation that a cake had indeed been purchased and then the money was put back.  About 3 weeks later it was taken back out again. This person turned out to be good at credit card fraud and after that there was nothing I could do. The address I had for her turned out to be a monster sized apartment complex. She had purposely not given her bank an apartment number. They told me that since it was processed online and not swiped, there was nothing I could do. The police don't care. It was thankfully only a $200 cake, so there's no point in wasting anymore time on it.

 

So now, I'm asking to see the customer's card and and driver's license.

Wow I cant believe the lenghts some ppl go to for a free cake!!!! its shocking you cant really trust anybody now a days, can you?

post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 

Thanks again for all the feedback. It has been a great help over the last couple of frustrating days. This will go down as a learning experience on  how not to budge on your own policies, as even a little wiggle room over the length of the ordering process can quickly build up to be a major hassle.

 

The customer was emailed yesterday and as of yet has not replied (knock on wood). So hopefully that should be the end of it. The email I sent is below. In case it is of any use of reference for others. Thanks again, to all those who contributed to this thread. Extra special thanks to relznik for your example letters.You may spot some of your handy work below. :)

 

----------------

P.I.T.A Customer

Your comments have been dually noted, but we must point out that you did not provide us with a contact number and therefore we were unable to call ahead to let you know that we would be slightly late. Once again, however, I do apologise for the delay in getting to you.

In regards to your comments regarding the service you received, I believe that we were more than accommodating in making you a cake, and keeping it within your budget. To then be told after the booking of the order that the delivery was to be in #########. Outside of our area of free delivery, we decided to waive the fee, again to keep your order within your budget.

Also, I would like to add that your payment was not released from your bank to our online payment company until the Friday evening and transferred to ourselves end of day Monday 4th. To ensure that you had a cake for your brother's Birthday we broke our policy of delivery without receiving full payment and delivered your cake in good faith.

In regards to the cake, it is the same chocolate sponge recipe that we have always used and have had many compliments from our customers Indeed, we have never had a complaint about it before and have had frequent reorders.

Unfortunately, as you have disposed of the cake, I am sure you understand I am unable to investigate your complaint further.

I am sorry I am unable to help you any more on this occasion.
 

Yours sincerely

 

Hopefully relieved Cake Shop

-------------------

post #30 of 30

I think that's perfect.

 

It's professional, without being rude or aggressive.  However, it also lets her know you're not willing to be a pushover (especially when you've done nothing wrong).

 

 

It's very easy for me to be so confident ...  after all, it's not my complaint.

 

When I had the complaint I felt sick and tearful for about 2 days until it was sorted.  My customer did reply to the email I sent, telling her I couldn't investigate further - she said "I understand, but I won't be recommending you to anyone."  Well, let's be honest.  WHO in their right mind is honestly going to say to friends "I had a cake from xyz company...  It was dry as cardboard but it's OK, because she gave me some money back...  You should use order from them, too".  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  In reality, it would have been "I ordered a cake from xyz company and had to complain and get some money back because it was really dry."  Who's going to place an order after a recommendation like that, eh?

 

Hope it all goes away now and you can carry on with nicer customers!

 

Suzanne x
 

Inside this fat body, there's a thin woman screaming to get out...... but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!
Reply
Inside this fat body, there's a thin woman screaming to get out...... but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › First Complaint - :(