Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › banana pudding mousse
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

banana pudding mousse

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
soo i was thinking of making a banana pudding mousse/cream. i was thinking this as i made the banana pudding.. can i just fold in the banana pudding into the buttercream?? or do i have to use whipping cream instead of the milk?

my thought was a 3 layer white cake with banana pudding filling on the two outside layers with this creamish/mousse filling in the center layer.. or am i crazzy?

i already made the pudding but i have another box of banana cream pudding if i have to start over

thanks!
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
i was also thinking fresh bananas with the pudding but just read online somethjng about water and the bananas becoming slippery and layers falling!?! shoukd i not put them in yhis cake? i was thinking 2 tier 8" & 10"

should i just stick to pudding n thats all
post #3 of 9

You need to keep a cake filled with milk-based banana pudding in the fridge at all times.

 

If this is for a customer, your state food laws (California for one) may prohibit its sale altogether.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

You need to keep a cake filled with milk-based banana pudding in the fridge at all times.

If this is for a customer, your state food laws (California for one) may prohibit its sale altogether.

not selling it, i am making for a birthday party for my neice and the cake will be in the fridge
post #5 of 9

Cake in fridge--OK. So you are looking for a different stripe in the middle.  You didn't say which buttercream, so I cannot say anything about your idea of mixing it with the pudding--it might fall apart.

 

If you want a fluffy white mousse, use 1 package vanilla or coconut or white-chocolate instant pudding mix and 1+1/2 cups whipping cream.  Beat that up and spread it promptly, it will hold the cake together well.

 

You might have to use part of your second package of banana pudding for your other two layers of filling.  You didn't say how much milk you added.  For a cake filling, you need to make the pudding stiffer than the package says by adding 1+1/2 cups instead of 2 cups milk. Spread pudding filling 1/4" deep.

 

If you want to stick with banana flavour, you can make a banana "jam" by cooking mashed bananas with some brown sugar and rum.  1 cup mashed banana, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup rum and simmer until it gets thick.

 

And you will need to use large straws or stiff dowels in the bottom tier for sure.  Use a stiff cake circle (corrugated cardboard) under the top tier.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

Cake in fridge--OK. So you are looking for a different stripe in the middle.  You didn't say which buttercream, so I cannot say anything about your idea of mixing it with the pudding--it might fall apart.

If you want a fluffy white mousse, use 1 package vanilla or coconut or white-chocolate instant pudding mix and 1+1/2 cups whipping cream.  Beat that up and spread it promptly, it will hold the cake together well.

You might have to use part of your second package of banana pudding for your other two layers of filling.  You didn't say how much milk you added.  For a cake filling, you need to make the pudding stiffer than the package says by adding 1+1/2 cups instead of 2 cups milk. Spread pudding filling 1/4" deep.

If you want to stick with banana flavour, you can make a banana "jam" by cooking mashed bananas with some brown sugar and rum.  1 cup mashed banana, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup rum and simmer until it gets thick.

And you will need to use large straws or stiff dowels in the bottom tier for sure.  Use a stiff cake circle (corrugated cardboard) under the top tier.

shoot! i made the pudding just like the box says!! darn i have to go to the store and get more boxes. my box calls for 3 cups of milk..

i made the basic wilton vanilla buttercream. can i fold it in there?

i dont have rum icon_sad.gif but that sounds delish! can i sub the rum maybe?

i planned on using dowels in the bottom layer but when i read that i starte freaking because she wants fresh banana slices on the pudding...
post #7 of 9

Well you don't have to throw anything away.  What size was the banana pudding mix? You can add part or all of that second package you already have, pudding rescue works well even if it's the kind that you cook. Use a mixer to get any lumps out.

 

Buy whatever you need for the second filling--the proportions are 1 package instant pudding (making 4 servings from 2 cups milk) and 1+1/2 cups whipping cream. For your peace of mind, I would buy 2 packs pudding mix and 3-8 ounce cartons whipping cream.  If the store has it, pick up some rum flavouring and try a little bit with a spoonful of filling.  You can also add that rum flavouring as part of the cream in the whipped mousse filling.

 

Mixing in buttercream:  I'm still not sure.  I would make a stiff whipped pudding and just use the buttercream for a good dam around all the fillings like this http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/filling-cake-layers.cfm

 

Now about sliced bananas...you can use them if you put thin layers of pudding on both sides of thin slices.  You want the banana slices to be completely enclosed without any air spaces betwen them and the cake. No need to dip into lemon juice or anything else...just slice 1/8" thick, and seal them in completely.  Chill the cake for a good hour after you assemble layers and crumb coat,  before you add dowels--then they will go right through the slices and your cake will not collapse. 

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

Well you don't have to throw anything away.  What size was the banana pudding mix? You can add part or all of that second package you already have, pudding rescue works well even if it's the kind that you cook. Use a mixer to get any lumps out.

Buy whatever you need for the second filling--the proportions are 1 package instant pudding (making 4 servings from 2 cups milk) and 1+1/2 cups whipping cream. For your peace of mind, I would buy 2 packs pudding mix and 3-8 ounce cartons whipping cream.  If the store has it, pick up some rum flavouring and try a little bit with a spoonful of filling.  You can also add that rum flavouring as part of the cream in the whipped mousse filling.

Mixing in buttercream:  I'm still not sure.  I would make a stiff whipped pudding and just use the buttercream for a good dam around all the fillings like this http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/filling-cake-layers.cfm

Now about sliced bananas...you can use them if you put thin layers of pudding on both sides of thin slices.  You want the banana slices to be completely enclosed without any air spaces betwen them and the cake. No need to dip into lemon juice or anything else...just slice 1/8" thick, and seal them in completely.  Chill the cake for a good hour after you assemble layers and crumb coat,  before you add dowels--then they will go right through the slices and your cake will not collapse. 

i tried folding in the pudding to the buttercream but its too thin to use as a filling.. i tries it on the smaller teir top layer and my center sunk in !!' aaahh so i scrap it and did the pudding but i dont think the top layer is gonna be sturdy-- should i insert a dowel or two?? the middle layer is falling apart ...

itll be covered in buttercream so it wont be smashed by fondant..
post #9 of 9

Once you stack up all the cakes for each tier, use some plastic wrap folded in half lengthwise to wrap around the sides of the separate tiers.  Wrap so that the cakes are firmly held together with the fillings, and chill them for 6 or more hours. The pudding will slowly begin to hold the cake together even if the layers are crumbly now.

 

If possible, ice the tiers just before you go to bed and let them chill overnight.  This will help to stick the cake layers together  for decorating.  Take them to the party as two separate tiers and stack onsite.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › banana pudding mousse