Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › What goes under the fondant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What goes under the fondant?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
This is probably pretty basic but I'll ask it anyways. What is the best thing to layer a cake with before putting fondant on? I'm not fond of marzipan so can I use buttercream or something like that?

I've been teaching myself how to use it but so far I haven't done a cake, just styrofoam. Any suggestions would be really helpful!
Penny
post #2 of 13
Buttercream works fine.. its a good way to get all the crumbs, dips and bumps away... i know others have used various types of glazes.. you'll need something so that the fondant can stick to the cake and you can smooth it out.
post #3 of 13
the "traditional" thing is indeed marzipan, but that is rarely done here in north america...

more commonly used is butercream (and there's a whole debate as to how much... some use just a crumb coat, others a nice thick layer!)

another alternative if your cake is rich and moist is just some warmed apricot jelly brushed on before applying the fondant.

just make sure you use somethig to "stick" the fondant to the cake (so if you use crusting BC... apply the fondant before it crusts, or lightly spritz it with a water mister before adding the fondant)
post #4 of 13
I use a thin layer of buttercream with great results, but like the idea of using apricot jam or jelly... might have to try that. : )
COULD SOMEONE PASS THE FROSTING?
Wendy's Cake Space
The Homeschooling Blog
Reply
COULD SOMEONE PASS THE FROSTING?
Wendy's Cake Space
The Homeschooling Blog
Reply
post #5 of 13
I think it depends on the cake, if its a bumpy cake like fruit cake then we normally fill first (like putty on a wall) with fondant.

Then if the customer does not want marzipan then just a small amount of apricot or similar mild and light flavoured jam (jelly i think you all call it) warmed up so its a little runny and easy to brush on.

I have never done the buttercream under fondant thing and wondered why so many people use it.

If its a flavour thing I can sort of understand but can't see the purpose otherwise.

I peronally think it would effect the final smooth effect of the fondant.
dky - Dazzling Cakes
Reply
dky - Dazzling Cakes
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky

I think it depends on the cake, if its a bumpy cake like fruit cake then we normally fill first (like putty on a wall) with fondant.

Then if the customer does not want marzipan then just a small amount of apricot or similar mild and light flavoured jam (jelly i think you all call it) warmed up so its a little runny and easy to brush on.

I have never done the buttercream under fondant thing and wondered why so many people use it.

If its a flavour thing I can sort of understand but can't see the purpose otherwise.

I peronally think it would effect the final smooth effect of the fondant.


Karen
It actually doesnt affect the final smooth effect of the fondant.
If you do a crumb coat and then put on a thick layer of it and smooth it down properly you get a beautiful base to work on, and your fondant will be as smooth as can be. I dont use jelly or jam to stick my fondant down either, if i dont put buttercream under the fondant, and the customer doesnt want marzipan, i just put another layer of fondant, so a foundation layer and then the real one. I stick all my fondant with sugar syrup.
here is a cake done with buttercream underneath. The buttercream done with real butter rather than the artificial stuff we use to decorate. So much nicer tasting.
Cheers
Nati
LL
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

If you do a crumb coat and then put on a thick layer of it and smooth it down properly you get a beautiful base to work on, and your fondant will be as smooth as can be. Cheers
Nati



How do you keep it from squishing out the bottom. That's what happened the time I used it. I didn't know if I was doing it correctly or not.

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif
"God will probably not be interested in how much we included in our day, but how much of our day included Him." - Allia Zobel-Nolan
Reply
"God will probably not be interested in how much we included in our day, but how much of our day included Him." - Allia Zobel-Nolan
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

If you do a crumb coat and then put on a thick layer of it and smooth it down properly you get a beautiful base to work on, and your fondant will be as smooth as can be. Cheers
Nati



How do you keep it from squishing out the bottom. That's what happened the time I used it. I didn't know if I was doing it correctly or not.

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif


OOOOOPS sorry, forgot to mention the most important thing, my memory is getting so bad these days, and im only turning 33!! What'll happen when i reach my 50's? I'll be baking cakes without a pan!! sigh
anyway i covered in buttercream and then let it set in the fridge before putting the fondant on. You can speed up the process but letting it set in your feezer. Needless to say i had an empty freezer at the time, since the base of this cake was a 14inch.
Forgetful Nati
post #9 of 13
Nati, If you refridgerate first, what then adheres that fondant to the buttercream? I usually place the fondant down while the buttercream is still tacky to get it to stick in place. Do you add a coat to the dry buttercream? Just curious! : )
COULD SOMEONE PASS THE FROSTING?
Wendy's Cake Space
The Homeschooling Blog
Reply
COULD SOMEONE PASS THE FROSTING?
Wendy's Cake Space
The Homeschooling Blog
Reply
post #10 of 13
I have always just used buttercream, and make it nice and smooth, like it will be the final coat. Then the fondant looks very smooth.

Marizipan is so expensive and alot of people don't like it. I don't see how you can get it smooth with jam...?
Gotta have more cowbell!
Reply
Gotta have more cowbell!
Reply
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

Nati, If you refridgerate first, what then adheres that fondant to the buttercream? I usually place the fondant down while the buttercream is still tacky to get it to stick in place. Do you add a coat to the dry buttercream? Just curious! : )


Hm, interesting point, the fondant stuck fine, i think it was because once you start to smooth it down, the buttercream underneath starts to slightly melt. It adheres just fine.
Nati : )
post #12 of 13
Apricot jam OR buttercream under the fondant for a lovely smooth effect?????????????????????? I'm making quite a firm Red Velvet cake to ice so I would appreciate your experience answering my query. What results have you had with jam & buttercream in the crumb coating? Which is best , do you think?
Thanx
post #13 of 13
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post

the "traditional" thing is indeed marzipan, but that is rarely done here in north america...


more commonly used is butercream (and there's a whole debate as to how much... some use just a crumb coat, others a nice thick layer!)


another alternative if your cake is rich and moist is just some warmed apricot jelly brushed on before applying the fondant.


just make sure you use somethig to "stick" the fondant to the cake (so if you use crusting BC... apply the fondant before it crusts, or lightly spritz it with a water mister before adding the fondant)
I m always in delima whether to use butter cream or apricot jam . I hate the taste of buttercream. If I use apricot jam i m afraid I may not have smooth surface....humm
For chocolate cake i use ganache . No issues.
Today I m doing cupcakes fondant.
Since the fondant stick well to the cake as toppers I m not applying anything under the fondant .
I hate to see the fondant sticks to the jam and produce that sticky stuff when you pull the fondant away n it taste horrible. ! Basically fondant is to make the cake look presentable but not to be eaten ...honestly !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › What goes under the fondant?