Refrigerating Cakes

Decorating By didzydecorator58 Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 4:58am by leah_s

didzydecorator58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didzydecorator58 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 9

Hi! I am planning on making my son's wedding cake in two weeks. A fellow cake decorator advised me to bake it Thursday and decorate and assemble it on the Friday morning before the wedding and then refrigerate. Would it be alright to refrigerate it until Satuday afternoon ? I'm worried that it will loose it's moist taste. Can anyone advise me. P.S. the frosting is a chocolate buttercream.
Thanks from a very nervous Mom

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #2 of 9

That's totally fine!!!! I have to bake ahead when I have several cake orders in one weekend.

The cake will taste nice and moist as long as its served at room temp.

Good luck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 9

Unless you're using a perishable frosting or filling there's no need to refrigerate the cake. Just box it up to keep it clean and safe.

HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 9

That's true too....I just always refrigerate because I think its easier to transport...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 9

I also refrigerate my cakes all the time because I use perishable fillings.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 9

Try to design your cake without a perishable filling so that you don't need to refrigerate it. Actually, refrigeration dries out cakes. It's a relative humidity issue. Unless the cake has a perishable filling , never, never refrigerate a cake.

It will be fine sitting on the counter.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 9

I never refrigerate my cakes. The only two times I had issues with the icing was when I refrigerated the cakes, and thus my stance of "i NEVER refrigerate my cakes".

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 9

I always refrigerate my cakes, especially for ease of transporting, my cakes are moist, It doesn't seem to dry them out. I notice that on cake boss, he refrigerates his cakes, I guess some do and some don't. I do know they taste better after coming to room temp though.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:58am
post #9 of 9

Pros like the show Cake Boss have a different refrigerator with different humidity levels than the ones found in the home kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%