I Hate Kitchen-Aid: I'm Crying And Don't Know What To Do!!!!

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 5:40am by JulyMama

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 11

I'm just so upset, don't even know what to do. I had my kitchen aid for a few years and have white coated attachments. My paddle had white coating rubbed off for quite some time now and I never had a problem until today. I have all of this baking and mixing today, and.... making my cheesecake batter and over sudden notice there is a ribbon of grey-black goes through it. I stopped the mixer to check and it looks like the bottom of attachment is coloring everything... what in the world? Of course I had to dumpt the batter, but if it continues... what am I supposed to do? Has anyone had it happen before? Called Kitchen-aid and customer service is HORRIBLE! She basically told me it's my fault for putting paddle in the dishwasher (never-always handwashed), and using mixer commercially.. What in the world? it is a professional series and I'm using it 4-6 times a week, is it what they call commercially? I did not realize KA have a limit of use for them to perform.... just venting...
P

10 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 11

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I would call KA back and get someone else on the line .. that woman shouldn't of said those things, and if this next one says the same as the first, demand to talk to their supervisor, tell them how disappointed you are with both their products and customer service .. don't let them intimidate you, you paid good money for that mixer!

and make sure you get the names of the people you talk to in case you need to go even higher.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah that stinks! I've seen other posts here about the *finish* wearing off the paddle attachment.

I've had my first kitchenaid for 20 yrs and it still looks brand new, (and works fine too) my second one is about 2 yrs old and no problem either.

Is the blade rubbing against the bottom of the bowl? Maybe you need to make an adjustment, it shouldn't be rubbing.
The book it came with will tell you how to make an adjustment, you actually put a dime under the blade when you do it to be sure it's not rubbing.

QVC sells replacement blades, and probably Amazon.

Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 11

My 6q came with the paddle that was not plastic coated. I finally bought another one because I got tired of the gray stuff. If you run your beater through the dishwasher or let it soak in water it gets that gray film stuff.

You can go to KA and order a new blade, they aren't priced too bad.

And I agree that you need to adjust your beater so it isn't rubbing against the bowl.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 11

Actually all of the powder coated attachments are dishwasher safe, the only one they recommend you don't put in the dishwasher is the stainless whisk. Sorry about all your hard work down the drain. Try and give them another call.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 11

I bought a beater blade (not made by KA but can be used on one) and I love it. No more scraping the sides of the bowl, or stopping to mix by hand.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TMI28/?tag=cakecentral-20

Make sure you buy the right size. I have a 4.5 qt and the 5 qt blade works great.

You want this one to rub against the sides of the bowl. It's like having squeegees on the blade to clean the bowl.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for support. I calm down quite a bit now. Noone locally carries separate attachments, so I'll have to order one to be shipped. In the meantime, after a while on the phone, I found someone who let me borrow their beater. It's not coated, and looks a little smaller than what I had but it fits and it works. I'm back to baking now. Really dissappointed in KA customer service though. If I ever need another one may have to look at another brand of mixers. Once I get a new beater, I'll try to figure out how to adjust the blade. Have not seen the manual since the time we bought the mixer, about 5 years ago. Will have to go digging for it.
Thanks again, P

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 11

My blade did the same thing, it was too low and scraping on the bottom of the bowl. I think most of us think it should so everything gets mixed together, but it shouldn't or the coating gets worn off.

Go to http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/product_literature/search.jsp?siteCd=KAD and input your model # and you will get an online version of the manual for your machine and then you can see how to adjust the height of the blade.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #9 of 11

i had one the peeled also...i do not even own a dishwasher. i just threw it out and bought a new one.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #10 of 11

Call KA! They have excellent customer service.

Jen icon_smile.gif

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #11 of 11

I totally recommend you get a beaterblade, it's fantastic! and it's dishwasher safe. Plus there is no coating to wear off. Some specialty kitchen stores carry them, so if you look on their website you may be able to find a store near you that carries them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%