Figuring Out How Much Cake A Bride Needs

Business By tuffstuff Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm by tuffstuff

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 8

I have a question. Do most of you help your brides figure out how many servings of cake they need? Is it the responsibility on the cake decorator to figure this out? I know indydebi has that one formula... 60% of the guests invited or something like that.
I'd hate to tell a bride the wrong amount. I am kind of like "just tell me how many servings you need and I will do that for you."
Related to that...
I have a bride who wants 300 cupcakes. 2 for each guest. Is this correct? Is this just up to personal preference?

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 8

If thats what she wants, then thats what she should get. Now only about 80 percent of your guest show up, so you may want to suggest that amount instead. Also suggest that they serve the cake right after dinner so it doesn't go to waste. Ultimately it's up to her & the amount she wants. I only had about 80 guest at my wedding, but I wanted a 4-tier cake (way too much & I knew it) & that is what I got. A LOT of left overs that we & out0of0town guest, as well as local ate the next day! It was great! icon_wink.gif

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 8

I leave it up to the bride to tell me what and how many servings she wants. Unless of course she were to ask my opinion on the matter. So far I haven't been asked though. The only thing I've been asked recently is what would be best on the budget. Most seem to have a set idea in their minds and stick to that though.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 8

I usually suggest they give me the final count two weeks before the wedding. But in the beginning, I give them a cutting chart and how much it feeds. Im usually the one that figures out what size cake to make.
Usually if there isnt a significant amount not showing, then they can have left overs. But I always assume to give a piece of cake to EVERY guest. Some might not want it but you really cant assume that or you will be short.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 8

I usually suggest they give me the final count two weeks before the wedding. But in the beginning, I give them a cutting chart and how much it feeds. Im usually the one that figures out what size cake to make.
Usually if there isnt a significant amount not showing, then they can have left overs. But I always assume to give a piece of cake to EVERY guest. Some might not want it but you really cant assume that or you will be short.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 8

have you seen the wilton serving chart? thats a good start for the minimum cake needed (some people dont do a slice per guest, but thats pretty risky - or at least dissapointing).
really, cupcakes, only one is needed, but they are apparently more popular than just a slice of cake, people go back for seconds. especially if any cake is served as pudding. if the brides happy to have that many, possibly extra, and your happy to do it, then why not?
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 8

Bottom line, of course, is if the bride wants to buy lots of extra cake, it's her money, go for it.

I ask a bride "How many guests are you expecting?" Then I ask her "How many did you invite?" The reason I ask it in this order is because it shows me what kind of bride I have in front of me. A bride who is expecting 250 out of 300 invites is a little overconfident about her popularity. A bride who is expecting 200 out of 300 invites is dealing a bit more in reality.

I explain the 60% Rule. I then suggest "you can have a 4 tier square or a 5 tier round, basedon those numbers". I then figure the cake sizes (based on my stick-people-cakes that I have in excel) and we quote based on the number of servings the configuration adds up to, based on the Wilton Wedding Chart. I also tell them they can increase or decrease the amount later, depending on what cake sizes we can swap out.

I think she's spending too much money to assume EVERYONE will eat 2 cupcakes. A cupcake is a LOT of cake. But ..... it's HER money! icon_rolleyes.gif

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your input. I really don't want to do that many cupcakes. I might try to talk her down to 22 dozen, which is 264.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%