Making Smbc...

Baking By FromScratch Updated 7 Nov 2014 , 10:59am by cazza1

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 492

I keep meaning to take pictures of the process of making SMBC, and today I finally did. icon_lol.gif

I didn't take a picture of the beginning.. it's egg white and sugar and it looks like a big bowl of snot. But you place the sugar and eggs in your mixer bowl and whisk them until they reach 160-170 degrees then pop it on the mixer.

My recipe is large, but you can find the scaled back version here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-1-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html

For this batch (made in my KA Pro 5) I used:

20 large egg whites
4 cups of sugar
12 sticks of room temp unsalted butter
6 TBSP real vanilla (which I didn't add because I am making some of it chocolate so I will add the vanilla after I remove some)

Place the sugar and egg whites into your mixer bowl and whisk over a double boiler until the mixture reaches 160-170 degrees and then transfer the bowl to your mixer and mix with the whisk attachment on medium-high until it comes to stiff peaks and the mixer bowl feels neutral when you touch it with your risk.. not hot but not cold either. This brings you to picture #1.. a big fluffy beautiful bowl of perfectly whipped meringue. (It is lovely.. and tastes pretty damn good and could top a pie shell filled with lemon curd and be perfect.. but that's another story icon_wink.gif )

Switch to the paddle attachment and break open your butter and begin to add it (picture #2) mixing on low one TBSP at a time until it is all in the bowl . While you are adding your butter you will notice a few things. The first thing is picture #3.. your beautious meringue will begin to fall.. and picture #4.. fall some more.. and look soupy. Don't worry... this is TOTALLY normal. Around the end of adding your butter you will notice something like picture #5.. your soup will start to look lumpy and curdled.. and #6.. more lumpy and curdled. Again, don't worry.. this too is completely normal. Soon after you are done adding your butter you will notice, provided your butter wasn't too cold, that your curdled mess begins to start to maybe look like it might be getting better.. picture #7. Then like magic it gets smooth (picture #8 ) and you end up with beautifully smooth and silky SMBC (picture #9)
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

491 replies
tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 492

That is wonderful, thanks for your time involved in this.... What does SMBC taste like? Can you decorate with it? LIke flowers and stuff?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 492

Awesome!

I have a question. Can you add ganache to make chocolate IMBC or does it only work with melted chocolate?

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #4 of 492

You can decorate with it fine. It does get rather soft with the heat of your hands so it is good to have a couple of bags going so you can put one down if it gets too soft. It tastes like vanilla ice cream if you add vanilla to it. You can add almost anything to it. Thickened fruit purees are my favorite.

Yes.. you can add ganache to make chocolate with no problems. icon_smile.gif

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 492

Thank you very much. I'm a visual learner and this really helped! I am still working up the courage to try this.

Is this easy to smooth? I think I'll need to find the other posts about this and then put on my big girl panties and get over my fear of it!

pamconn Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 492

Thank you very much. I'm a visual learner and this really helped! I am still working up the courage to try this.

Is this easy to smooth? I think I'll need to find the other posts about this and then put on my big girl panties and get over my fear of it!

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 492

It really isn't hard to smooth. It is so smooth in consistency. All I use is an angled spatula and a bench scraper. It takes some practice, but it's not hard to make or use. I'll have to post another series of pictures about trouble shooting re-whipping it.. but that's for another day.. icon_lol.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 492

Thanks so much! I was afraid to try it but it looks amazing!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 492

Jeanne, thanks for the pictures. and really you're one of the people on here who was quite adamant at telling people to try SMBC. i'm so glad i finally listened. icon_smile.gif

I swear when you're making it, it looks like your witnessing a miracle. I had my cousin drop the butter in because i'm using a handmixer (RIGHT! I did it with a handmixer, so if i can do it, so can you!) and the moment it came together both of us went "ooohhhh!!!" and it tasted like caramel vanilla ice cream since i used brown sugar. so YUM! i think i ate two tablespoonfuls before I stopped myself.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 492

Thanks so much! I think I like SMBC because of all of it's weird stages! Lumpy, sad looking mess and then magic!!! It's perfect.

You've been such a great help (especially with your recipe).

fbaaheth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbaaheth Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 492

What is SMBC? Learning new stuff, Help!!

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 492

I love SMBC. Fell in love with it the first time I made it. And it takes flavor so well. My favorite is strawberry, tastes just like ice cream!

pamconn Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #13 of 492

" until it reaches 160 degrees " Is this to kill any bacteria? If you use pasturized egg whites do you still need to do this? and do you use a hand wisk while its on the stove?

aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbaaheth

What is SMBC? Learning new stuff, Help!!

Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Similar to IMBC which is Italian.

It's a much less sweet buttercream than american. Very fluffy and light. It also is not a crusting BC.

aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 492

One other thing...

If I was to use egg whites from the carton, is it the baking type I need to get or one designed for meringues. I can't remember... icon_redface.gif

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #16 of 492

jkalman,
Thanks so much for posting the visuals.
2 questions for ya.......... can I substitute shortening instead of butter, or can I substitute with margarine. My cakes need to be dairy free.
Plus, in the Floridian heat, will the SMBC covered cake hold up at an event not refrigirated for a couple of hours untill they decide to cut the cake?

I was always afraid to use this recipe for that reason. I keep on picturing the cake melting because the butter is too soft.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 492

Thanks so much for the visualization... do you use a 5 or 6 quart KA?

Deb55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb55 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #18 of 492

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #19 of 492

Awesome pics! Thanks for posting this.

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #20 of 492

I love the taste of SMBC and it's what I always used. . . but i was taught to whip the butter until light and fluffy, set aside and then basically follow the steps you provided.. . . so time consuming. I'm excited to try your way, reducing one step might make it worth my while to go back to SMBC.

I hate regular buttercreams for there sweetness and the gritty texture you get from powdered sugar, SMBC is so much easier to smooth and also has a cooked taste if that makes sense,. . . yummy!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #21 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

jkalman,
Thanks so much for posting the visuals.
2 questions for ya.......... can I substitute shortening instead of butter, or can I substitute with margarine. My cakes need to be dairy free.
Plus, in the Floridian heat, will the SMBC covered cake hold up at an event not refrigirated for a couple of hours untill they decide to cut the cake?

I was always afraid to use this recipe for that reason. I keep on picturing the cake melting because the butter is too soft.

i used some shortening in place of butter in the recipe i used, like 1/3 of it. it worked out fine but i'm not sure about using shortening for all of the butter,

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #22 of 492

You can use all shortening or margarine.. it will change the flavor, but it will still work. It will be bright white if you use shortening and I would use high ratio shortening over crisco if you can find it.

I have never used margarine, but it might be a bit more yellow if you do. I haven't seen a stick of margarine in YEARS.. LOL.

I have never made it with the egg whites in a carton, but I know some do. I'd get the ones for meringues since that is what you are making. Heating them serves 2 purposes.. it pasturizes them and they whip up easier when they are warm. icon_smile.gif

I was going to try it by whipping up the butter before hand, but it works perfectly fine if you don't.. just make sure that it's room temp butter. icon_smile.gif

SMBC can sit on the counter for a couple of days so don't worry about it for a few hours.

pamconn Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #23 of 492

jkalman, thanks so much for all the help. The people on CC are so generous with their time and help.

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #24 of 492

also heating the eggs and sugar together dissolves the sugar or so my recipe explains icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #25 of 492

The sugar would dissolve if you didn't heat it.. it would just take much longer to do so. icon_smile.gif

No problem.. I am going to attache a picture I have posted before showing how I ice a cake..

I use a #12 round tip and a bench scraper most of the time with my angled spatula to help if needed.

ice the top and smooth it leaving a 1/8" gap around the outer edge.. then ice the sides so the icing come up over the top of the cake and smooth the sides then take your angled spatula and knock the top ridge off with a quick inward and upward motion. icon_smile.gif
LL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #26 of 492

JKalman I have a question.. Does this taste anything like oreo cream filling? icon_wink.gif J/K LOL

Hey rat I love your recipe icon_smile.gif And GREAT visuals... who takes your pics? icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #27 of 492

LMAO Christi.. you know I love you so I won't smack you for the oreo comment.. icon_wink.gif

I take my pics. I have a DSLR (a Canon XTi) and a 50mm 1.4 lens and I love them. The collage was taken with my lil'point and shoot though.

Now I have to peel myself away and get this wedding cake done. icon_surprised.gif

FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #28 of 492

Oh and to answer about how big my mixer is.. it's a Pro-5 plus. I think it's a 5 qt. It BARELY holds the batch I make.. LOL. I need a 6 and I'd LOVE a 10qt. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #29 of 492

I didn't have your recipe for the big batch.. I'm gonna have to try it in my 6 qt icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Beautiful stuff this is icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #30 of 492

Thanks again JKalman! I can't wait to try your icing tips. I always hate those edges. Sometimes I just end up chilling the cake and trying to scrape it off afterwards but it's such a pain!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%