Has Anyone Made This Cook's Illustrated White Layer Cake

Baking By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 12:41am by FromScratchSF

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:39am
post #31 of 51

Thanks imagenthatnj! It really was very nice. It had a great crumb. Everyone was raving over it! I had to eat two slices LOL Thanks so much for all your help!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 1:43pm
post #32 of 51

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was googling this recipe to see if anyone else has had problems, and this CC topic link came up.

I tested so many scratch white cake recipes last year and this one was the best tasting and moistest for sure. Here's the problem. I tested with cupcakes, and now that I'm baking it in pans, I've had some issues. The cake looks great while it is baking, but when I take it out of the oven to cool, it sinks in the middle. Not just slightly either. I'm not a novice with baking, so I feel confident I followed the directions perfectly. Anyone else had this problem?

The recipe as stated makes the same amount of batter as a box cake mix. That isn't enough to fill a 2" pan 2/3 full, so I have been putting more in a pan than what the recipe calls for. Could this be part of the problem?

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to continue using this recipe since I think the best tasting white cake I've ever had.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:00pm
post #33 of 51

I spent a weekend testing white cake recipes earlier this year. I baked well over a dozen different white cakes, and the better ones more than once. At first, the Cook's Illustrated recipe was the winner, but I was never able to duplicate the first great result. I also tried doubling it, because if a recipe can't be doubled it has limited value to me. Every time I made it after the first time, especially when doubling, it fell in the middle and had a funny rubbery dense layer along the bottom. Since then (I didn't try it in the original test,) I have discovered "A better White cake" by Jennifer Bratko from the website [email protected] It is wonderful, light, tasty and doubles just fine. It is just as good as the cook's illustrated, if not better, and is reliable. Look no further!

LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 5:18pm
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma

I spent a weekend testing white cake recipes earlier this year. I baked well over a dozen different white cakes, and the better ones more than once. At first, the Cook's Illustrated recipe was the winner, but I was never able to duplicate the first great result. I also tried doubling it, because if a recipe can't be doubled it has limited value to me. Every time I made it after the first time, especially when doubling, it fell in the middle and had a funny rubbery dense layer along the bottom. Since then (I didn't try it in the original test,) I have discovered "A better White cake" by Jennifer Bratko from the website [email protected] It is wonderful, light, tasty and doubles just fine. It is just as good as the cook's illustrated, if not better, and is reliable. Look no further!

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I will definitely try that recipe out, thanks!

LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 5:26pm
post #35 of 51

I'm having a little bit of a hard time finding that recipe. The link you provided took me to an email address.

Is this the right blog and the right recipe? I didn't see anything called, "A Better White Cake".

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 7:02pm
post #36 of 51

Sorry, I did type it wrong, I should know better than to do things from memory!

Here is the recipe. I hope Ms. Bratko doesn't mind, as it is available on her website.

A BETTER WHITE CAKE

Source: fromscratchsf.wordpress.com

Note: makes 2 9 layers,

Recipe removed due to copyright.

LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 7:25pm
post #37 of 51

Thank you!!! I will definitely try it when I get some downtime!

LoriMc Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:32pm
post #38 of 51

Quote:

Sorry, I did type it wrong, I should know better than to do things from memory!

Here is the recipe. I hope Ms. Bratko doesn't mind, as it is available on her website.

I made it! It's cooling, but so far no shrinking or sagging in the middle, which is a good sign.

I will say one thing. I split the batter in two 8" pans and it barely filled them halfway. To me this does not make an 8" cake, but maybe I just make bigger size cakes than some people? I have to fill my pans 3/4 full if I'm going to stack them with the SPS plates and columns. Next time I will do 1.5 recipes for an 8" cake.

Can't wait to taste it! Thanks!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 4:13am
post #39 of 51

That recipe is the base that was adapted to make the strawberry cake that had a thread going a few weeks ago. I love that cake.

People come to me for odd flavors for cakes, not white. I have a few white cakes I use as bases for flavored cakes, but if anyone ever asks me for a white cake, I will use FromScratch's without even a trial run. I trust her judgement and her great reviews.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 4:26am
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

That recipe is the base that was adapted to make the strawberry cake that had a thread going a few weeks ago. I love that cake.

People come to me for odd flavors for cakes, not white. I have a few white cakes I use as bases for flavored cakes, but if anyone ever asks me for a white cake, I will use FromScratch's without even a trial run. I trust her judgement and her great reviews.

It did? Wait, what thread? I missed that one! Link please!

Freaks me out when I open threads and people are all talking about me in a GOOD way! LOL

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 5:01am
post #41 of 51

FromScratch, I read your replies on your blog. Plus there have been plenty who have posted how great it is on CC. I have not made it and I seriously will just make it whenever the order comes through. I have actually been hoping for a white cake just to taste it.

Currently, I use Bobby Flay's white cake that is the base for his Coconut Cake. I amp up the flavor in the filling and the frosting, but the cake is wonderful alone. But I think that cake is a whipped egg white cake that does not adapt well to cupcakes. I know you use yours for cupcakes so again, no trial run, I'll just do it.

So somebody... please order a white cake!! My wedding cakes are Bailey's, Kahlua, RV, strawberry, lemon, banana, coconut... anything but chocolate and vanilla. I think people use more traditional decorators for those flavors. In September, one of my wedding flavors is Absinthe. I never thought I would see that one at a wedding.

So yes, FromScratch, you have quite a reputation. Susan

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 5:03am
post #42 of 51

By the way, FromScratch, you should google yourself sometime. I googled your white cake. There is quite a bit on it and not just from your site and CC.

FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 5:16am
post #43 of 51

Huh??? I google myself all the time... never seen it anywhere else. Now you got me looking!

FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 5:27am
post #44 of 51

Yeah, I don't find anything...

scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 8:18am
post #45 of 51

Google, "from scratch sf white cake". It even has your images, but it has other blogs that mentioned you or used your cake and SMBC recipe.

I google, a lot.

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 10:26am
post #46 of 51

Had great success with FromScratchSf white cake. I recently subbed the sourcream, buttermilk & butter with natural yoghurt as an experiment....turned out great.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 12:28pm
post #47 of 51
Quote:

I have the same problem when doubling this recipe. It gets heavy like there is too much butter or something. I love this recipe as is I just wish I found a way to double it with success. I'm definitely going to try the recipe by fromscratchsf. I'm not big on vanilla cake so for me to enjoy it, it really has to be good.

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpJane Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 3:33pm
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Google, "from scratch sf white cake". It even has your images, but it has other blogs that mentioned you or used your cake and SMBC recipe.

I google, a lot.

Yep, nothing. Nothing except FromScratch or BeyondButtercream and CC postings...

I google a lot too...I think SCP1127 has the super-ultra-google version of Google.

Links please? I'm curious.

Love FromScratchSF cakes.

scp1127 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:09am
post #49 of 51

Am I crazy? There are posts from bloggers and a full gallery on images. And all of the CC posts are always good, so quite a bit. The bloggers talk about this recipe from a bakery in SF and give their opinions.

scp1127 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:18am
post #50 of 51

You know, the same thing happened with google when my grandmother was dying a few weeks ago. I found treatments on google and was directing my mom six hours away on where I got the information. She finally went to the library and the librarian couldn't pull it up. And no, my 70 year old mom does not have email so I couldn't send links. And no internet on the phone. The other relatives wouldn't help my mom and my grandmother died without the information about the procedure that would have saved her life. Obviously I'm not speaking to those lazy relatives who just didn't have the time while they waited in a hospital room for two weeks while she died... that is after I called them a few names. I actually couldn't go to the funeral after what I said. Imagine that.

So this is odd. I swear I found them.

FromScratchSF Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:41am
post #51 of 51

Links???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%