Hershey's Chocolate Cake/vanilla Cake?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 2:18pm by maendings

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:24am
post #1 of 14

Hi!

I really like the moist texture of Hershey's Chocolate cake and wanted to try to convert it into a vanilla cake by omitting the cocoa and adding more flour.

Has anyone done this and how does it taste?

Also, I really prefer oil in cakes because of the moist texture it gives. I've looked for recipes for so long but never found a vanilla cake that has the texture of the Hershey's cake. Does anyone have a recipe like that for vanilla cake? Thanks!

13 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 11:33am
post #2 of 14

Someone on here, I think it's sayhellojanna, has a yellow recipe with just shortening. I think SeriousCakes also has a shortening based recipe. I don't recall ever seeing one with just oil though.

That is mostly a box mix document, but there are some scratch recipes in there I think.

Annie

fcakes Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks Annie! Aren't shortening-based cakes dry? Can we substitute oil for the shortening?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:21am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I really like the moist texture of Hershey's Chocolate cake

This question comes up regularly: short answer - no you can't ..

Re-post from previous topic:

Things to think of:

1. that amount of cocoa is supplying structure as well as taste to the completed product. Adding flour as a substitute for cocoa is also adding more gluten .. cocoa has no gluten. Gluten gives elasticity and strength to baked goods. But cake should be soft and light - that means not adding more gluten. Too much causes a tough, dry cake.

2. cocoa in a baked product is very drying - more liquid is required to balance this tendency. Removing the cocoa will unbalance the moisture content

3. natural cocoa is acidic in nature: to balance this, there is usually an alkaline item in the recipe: bicarb soda, buttermilk, sour cream, yoghurt etc. The chemical reaction neutralizes but it also acts as a secondary leavener. Removing the cocoa, means that another item will have to be introduced to counter the alkaline ingredient

4. if there is no primary leavener, and you remove one of the catalsyts of the acid/alkali reaction, you will have to add some type of leavener or the item may not rise ..

Suggestion: look for another recipe ..

fcakes Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:03am
post #5 of 14

Thanks so much auzzi! I am looking for a vanilla/yellow cake recipe with oil but haven't found anything good.... any suggestions??

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:11am
post #6 of 14

No high-ratio vanilla cake is made with only oil that I know of. You could try a chiffon cake, which is like an angle food but will not have the same texture as an oil-based chocolate cake.

There are high-ratio vanilla butter cake recipes that call for a little oil, Shirley Corriher's Magnificent Moist Golden Cake in Bakewise actually calls for 1/3 cup of canola oil along with the butter. This recipe is a little work but it's delicious.

You can interchange shortening for butter in a butter cake with no difference. Shortening does not make the cake "dry", especially since shortening is 100% fat when butter is only 80% fat. Chemically shortening is actually better because it has emulsifiers that help increase volume making the cake rise better.

If your vanilla cake is dry then either you have a bad recipe, improper mixing technique, or you are overbaking it. Try a new recipe! I suggest getting Bakewise, or Heavenly Cakes. Cover to cover great recipes in both.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 14

I have a wonderful yellow, all-butter cake that I'd used for years. But I really loved my poppy seed cake which was super easy, made with oil, and very moist. I turned it into a yellow cake and now it's the only one I use.

Yellow Cake

3 large eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups buttermilk cup
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan(s).
2.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, extract, and buttermilk.
3.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
4.  Pour into a greased bundt pan (or ring cake; also makes 2 medium loaf pans, or 9x13) and bake for 40-60 minutes, depending upon size of pan. Cake is ready when it pulls away from the sides of the pan, has a split along the top (if making loaf), and passes the toothpick test (in accordance with the federal no-cake-left-behind rule). Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Shirley Corriher's Magnificent Moist Golden Cake

Is this the one where you fold in the heavy whipping cream toward the end? If so I've been wanting to try that one. My birthday is at the end of next month so I will be ordering more cookbooks from Amazon. Bakewise is the first on the list.

Thanks Mimi for sharing your recipe.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Quote:
Quote:

Shirley Corriher's Magnificent Moist Golden Cake

Is this the one where you fold in the heavy whipping cream toward the end? If so I've been wanting to try that one. My birthday is at the end of next month so I will be ordering more cookbooks from Amazon. Bakewise is the first on the list.

Thanks Mimi for sharing your recipe.

That's the one! It's pretty good, tastes like a fluffy shortbread. But as I said, it's a lot more work then I want to do for cake to sell, but great of you are trying new recipes for your home.

Bakewise and the Cake Bible should be required reading for anyone that wants to learn to bake from scratch!

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 14

I agree Jen. I love The Cake Bible and I read it regularly.

fcakes Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you for your input everyone! I tried a modified version of Cake Man Raven's Red Velvet Cake recipe yesterday, omitting the red color and it turned out good.

Mimi, I will try your recipe too.. I'm sure it will turn out good... thanks so much for sharing!

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 12:48am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

I have a wonderful yellow, all-butter cake that I'd used for years. But I really loved my poppy seed cake which was super easy, made with oil, and very moist. I turned it into a yellow cake and now it's the only one I use.

Yellow Cake

3 large eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups buttermilk cup
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan(s).
2.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, extract, and buttermilk.
3.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
4.  Pour into a greased bundt pan (or ring cake; also makes 2 medium loaf pans, or 9x13) and bake for 40-60 minutes, depending upon size of pan. Cake is ready when it pulls away from the sides of the pan, has a split along the top (if making loaf), and passes the toothpick test (in accordance with the federal no-cake-left-behind rule). Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

I had to bring a cake to the office today and didn't have much time. Made this and it really is good. very moist.

bashley81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashley81 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 14

For the above yellow cake, can I sub soymilk and add a little lemon juice or vinegar to the soymilk? My baby girl is allergic to dairy. 

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 2:10pm
post #14 of 14
This recipe is from Buddy's recipe book and is very good and moist. A good cake for carving.

Vanilla Cake
Buddy Valestro Cake Boss

Don’t have to put in the custard cream / otherwise 2 cups for 2 / 9 inch cakes and it is good!
2 / 9”
350*   25-30 minutes           cool to room temp.  1 hour before removing from pan

Single              Double
Cake flour                         2 ½ cups        5 cups
Sugar                               2 cups            4 cups
Vegetable oil                     ¾ c               1 ½ cups
Baking powder                  2 ¼ tsp            1 ½ T
Vanilla                             1 tsp                2 tsp
Salt                                 ½ tsp               1 tsp
EXTRA LARGE eggs            4                    8
Milk                                 1 cup                2 cups

Italian Custard Cream             3 cups              6 cups             can use for filling
Milk                                     2 ½ cups          5 cups
Vanilla                                1 T                    2 T
Sugar                                  2 cups              4 cups
Cake Flour                         2/3 c Sifted         1 1/3 cups Sifted
Egg Yolks Extra Large          5                         10
Butter                                 2 tsp                   1 T + 1 tsp
(Chocolate (unsweetened)    1 ½ oz                   3 oz  melted and cooled)

1.Put the flour, sugar, custard cream, oil, baking powder, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, mix on low just until the ingredients are blended together a few seconds, then raise to low-medium and continue to mix until smooth 1 minute.
2.With the motor running, add the eggs 1 at a time, mix 30 seconds after each.
3.After eggs are added, mix for 1 additional minute.
4.Motor on low, add the milk, ½ cup at a time, stop and scrape  2 additions
5.Mix for 1 minute.
Custard:
6.Put the milk and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
7.HAND MIXER: In a bowl whip together the sugar, flour, and egg yolks with a mixer.
8.Ladle a cup of the hot milk mixture and beat to temper.
9.Add the yolk mixture to the pot and beat over medium heat with the hand mixer until thick and creamy about 1 minute.  Don’t scramble the eggs with the heat.
10.Remove from heat and add the butter; whip for 2 minutes to thicken. Add chocolate now if wanted.
11.Transfer to a bowl, let cool; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours.

Will keep for up to 1 week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%