Indydebi's Buttercream

Baking By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 11 Aug 2014 , 1:35pm by denetteb

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 11:03am
post #91 of 103

A1+2/3 cup Crisco. Crusts too fast for me.

cheryl terry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheryl terry Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 4:42pm
post #92 of 103

For heavens. sake. PLEASE tell me how in the heck you even get it to crust at all.  I posted that I even ordered high ratio shortening and it still does not work.  As well as weighing everything, etc. We have tried this one so many times we bought a 100 lb bag of Conf. sugar if you can imagine.

Thanks Cheryl

[email protected]

cheryl terry Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 4:47pm
post #93 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

1+2/3 cup Crisco. Crusts too fast for me.

I am trying and trying to get this one to crust with Cream Cheese.  Four times we have tried and bought a 100 bag of conf. sugar just to keep testing and gave the receipe to the BAKR doing the other cake (professional) and she cannot get it to crust either.  She told me to just use what she does but hers is the usual sweet, sweet, sickly frosting that no one eats just looks at for the decorations.

I have done everything you have posted and i made another batch last night and AGAIN, it has a very, very, light soft crust but not nearly what I am hearing and there is NO WAY you can decorate with what I am geteting out of this.

[email protected]

cheryl terry Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 4:50pm
post #94 of 103

I have been trying to get a response from Indy for weeks on this.  We only want a cream cheese version and as I have posted before, I cannot get it to crust.

Cheryl

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 5:28pm
post #95 of 103

AThe cream cheese is the problem. That addition TOTALLY changes the fat to sugar ratio which determines crusting.

cheryl terry Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 11:04pm
post #96 of 103

Well I followed the Cream Cheese ratios of Indy's receipe.  I understand what you are saying but I followed her receipe to a T.  So you think adding more sugar is the key.  If so, there is no use even adding Cream Cheese as there is so much sugar you can't taste it anyway.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 11:26pm
post #97 of 103

I would say if you are having repeated problems with the recipe to look around for another crusting cream cheese recipe rather than going through another hundred pounds of sugar trying to get this one to work for you.  How much of a crust are you getting?  It should only be crusted enough so that you can lightly touch it with your finger and not get icing on it.  It shouldn't be hard or anything like that.  Even if it isn't crusting as much as you want you should still be able to decorate with it.  The crusting (man, repeated use of the word crusting is very unappetizing) only helps with smoothing it with a paper towel or typing paper, it isn't needed for piping or decorating.

denetteb Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 11:37pm
post #98 of 103

What is the actual recipe you are using?  The recipe written in this thread is one that someone modified of Indy's.  Sometimes as things get shared and reposted mistakes are made.  What recipe are you making?

cheryl terry Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 4:04am
post #99 of 103

I may be getting it then. I get a slight crust when I put my finger on it after quite a period of time, but when I roll it with the towel or paper, it eventually starts melting and running together.  It does not stay in the pattern.  I am making a CAMOFLAUGE cake (god help me) for my assistant's wedding and the camo on the top has to be piped on and then rolled.  It looks great when I roll it, but when I take the paper off, it deteorates. 

cheryl terry Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 4:08am
post #100 of 103

The receipe I am using is 1 2/3 cup shortening

8 oz cream cheese

4 KB sufted oiwdered sygar

6 tblsps Dream Whip

2 tblsps vanilla

1 to 1 1/3 cup ( I have tried both, half and half with coffee creamer as well as heavy cream with coffee creamer, and just half and half)

I beat the cream cheese and shortening a long time 10 to 15 minutes thn start adding the sugar and milk as needed until used up.  4 lbs sifted amounts to about 16 cups of sugar almost every time and then I let it beat for 20 minutes.  One of the repliers said it crusts too fast.  Lors I would love that to happen.

So what do you or anyone use for piping or with the different tips.  I thought you could do that also with this receipe.

Cheryl

cheryl terry Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 4:09am
post #101 of 103

Leah, how do you get it to crust TOO FAST??

Cheryl

married2kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
married2kitchen Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 5:22am
post #102 of 103

A

Original message sent by leah_s

1+2/3 cup Crisco. Crusts too fast for me.

Thank you Leah!

denetteb Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 1:35pm
post #103 of 103

I have looked and searched and simply cannot find Indy actually saying or  posting how she makes her recipe into cream cheese flavored.  I find over and over mamawrobin posting 'her version'.  Her words are her version so I don't know how it is different from Indy's.  That recipe has WAY more liquid than the one I use.  When you have it mixed is it a good consistency or is it really soft?  I never measure and dump in the liquid for icing, I add as needed.  Is the wedding outdoors in a hot climate?  Or indoors with air conditioning?  Will you be able to store the cake in a fridge until the wedding?  The recipe in the third post in this thread is the same that I use.  http://cakecentral.com/t/746115/cream-cheese-icing   I often use 4 pounds powdered sugar so then I can just use the full bag and not have to measure.  My recipe also has some butter flavor.  The real butter makes it taste great and the shortening helps it hold up to  piping, etc.  I suggest you try another recipe.  You could try this one, just a half batch and see if you like it.  If you need it for higher temps you could use more shortening and less butter.  I think you could also add the dream whip powder to this recipe and only add enough liquid to get it the right consistency, don't dump a bunch in all at once.  How much more time before the wedding?  Another thing you could do is try making your preferred icing recipe and use cream cheese flavor to it or add cream cheese to your usual recipe.  You would have to do some adjusting for amount of fat though. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%