Related Forum Threads
- Making Royal Icing in Bulk? Last post on 11/29/12 at 3:53pm in Cake Decorating
- Cupcakes - how early can I cook and ice with fondant. Is 2 days to early. Last post on 11/28/12 at 7:20pm in Cupcakes!
- Has anyone used Rich's Chocolate Bettercreme? Last post on 11/8/12 at 4:55am in Cake Decorating
- Butter Cream icing questions?? Last post on 11/8/12 at 10:01am in Cupcakes!
- royal icing - whipping egg whites question Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:56am in Cookies!
Crusting Lemon Buttercream
Edited on 6/13/11
- All butter American buttercreamEdited on 6/8/11
- Key Lime ButtercreamEdited on 6/7/11
- Dreamsicle Buttercream
Alphabetical Article List
How To Get Perfectly Smooth Buttercream Icing
Posted by tutugirl
This tutorial shows you step by step how to frost your cake in buttercream icing, and smooth it to a perfect finish. Commonly referred to as the "VIVA Paper Towel Method"
After so many of you asking how I do it here it is....
List of Materials
- VIVA® Brand Paper Towels (will not work with other quilted brands)
- Decorating Tip #18
- 18 inch Icing Bag
- Angled Spatula
- Fondant Smoother (aka fondant paddle)
- VERY HOT Water
With a tip 18 and an 18 inch bag pipe up and down the side of prepared crumb coated cake
Continue all the way around the cake.
With a large metal angled spatula dipped in VERY hot water
Remove spatula from water
dry the spatula and go around the cake...in sections till is all done
With the smooth side of a viva towel rub the cake all the way around pushing any air bubbles up.
With the smooth side of the viva towel round the edges with your fingers.
With the viva towel and a fondant paddle smooth the side of the cake.
With the tip 18 fill the top of the cake.
With a VERY hot angle spatula smooth the top of the cake.
Continue the until top all done with the hot spatula.
With the smooth side of the viva towel and your hand smooth the top and the edge blending the edge well.
With the smooth side of the viva towel and the fondant paddle smooth the top and the sides one final time.
- All butter American buttercream
- › A Thread for all UK bakers!! 7 minutes ago
- › Fondant not sticking to cake 25 minutes ago
- › Bottles vs piping bags 26 minutes ago
- › Slimy fondant! 33 minutes ago
- › Standing meerkat cake 42 minutes ago
- › cracked buttercream 45 minutes ago
- › what is this called and how is it done? 53 minutes ago
- › Royal Icing problems 56 minutes ago
- › transporting a 4 tier cake 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › How do I do the lines in this cake 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › KitchenAid KV25GOXMC Professional 5 Plus 5-Quart Stand Mixer,... by MandiRose28
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Owl Cupcake Topper by FancyTopcake
- › Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by sugarkissed_net
- › Puppy cake topper- picture tutorial by melinart
- › 3D Elmo Cake!! by THECAKEBAR
- › Monkey Cake/Cupcake Topper by melinart
- › New type of Peony Tutorial by melinart
- › Super Hero Cake Pops by sugarkissed_net
- › How to make an Eiffel Tower by prettycupcake
- › Ruffled Fondant Flower by couturecakesbyrose
- › 10 Quick and Easy steps to making a perfectly... by RoyalAidan