Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Help me out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me out - Page 2  

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToThis305 View Post


Oh really, thanks for letting me know that.

for clarification, it's my opinion that cakes to be sold should be made from scratch. In my experience of almost 14 years, the majority of customers turn up their noses at box cakes (why spend a fortune on something they can easily make at home). Also, when baking from scratch, it's best to follow to recipe EXACTLY until you know what you're doing. There's a saying: baking is a science, cooking is an art. The ingredients in the batter all react together to make the final product. The only thing that can be substituted in a recipe is the fat content in milk. Also, adding zest and extracts to stable batters is okay too. If you begin to advertise that you are selling cakes, you will need a business license and will need to work out of a licensed kitchen. There are so many things you need to know. It is best to take a Sanitation and Safety course at your local college, if they provide it. This will prep you for preparing your kitchen for inspection. Also, YouTube is your best friend. When I first started out, I knew no one. I learned almost everything from online classes, research, and YouTube videos. But keep in mind, you will mess up. Things will go wrong, a lot. But keep researching, ask questions, write down what you did and what the end result was every time. And don't market or sell ANYTHING until you have that product PERFECT. Your worst enemy is an unhappy customer that talks too much. If you have any more questions, I have tons and tons and TONS of answers. Just private message me icon_smile.gif
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedbakery View Post


for clarification, it's my opinion that cakes to be sold should be made from scratch. In my experience of almost 14 years, the majority of customers turn up their noses at box cakes (why spend a fortune on something they can easily make at home). Also, when baking from scratch, it's best to follow to recipe EXACTLY until you know what you're doing. There's a saying: baking is a science, cooking is an art. The ingredients in the batter all react together to make the final product. The only thing that can be substituted in a recipe is the fat content in milk. Also, adding zest and extracts to stable batters is okay too. If you begin to advertise that you are selling cakes, you will need a business license and will need to work out of a licensed kitchen. There are so many things you need to know. It is best to take a Sanitation and Safety course at your local college, if they provide it. This will prep you for preparing your kitchen for inspection. Also, YouTube is your best friend. When I first started out, I knew no one. I learned almost everything from online classes, research, and YouTube videos. But keep in mind, you will mess up. Things will go wrong, a lot. But keep researching, ask questions, write down what you did and what the end result was every time. And don't market or sell ANYTHING until you have that product PERFECT. Your worst enemy is an unhappy customer that talks too much. If you have any more questions, I have tons and tons and TONS of answers. Just private message me icon_smile.gif


Really, now I don't even want to do this anymore...LOL, thanks for telling me this because I had no idea. This seems to be a long process and a lot of steps to take. Not as easy as I thought. Very glad that I came to this forum. I never would have known.


Edited by NewToThis305 - 2/28/14 at 2:57pm
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 

What about selling stuffed and dipped strawberries? Do I need a license for that?

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToThis305 View Post
 

What about selling stuffed and dipped strawberries? Do I need a license for that?

 

What do you stuff them with?  Coating things in chocolate is considered enrobing, and is enforced by most health departments under the heading of candy making.  A slightly different set of requirements than baking.

 

Liz

Follow me on my Twitter handle: @Sugar_Iowa

Or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarFineBakedGoodsAndConfections

Follow me on my Twitter handle: @Sugar_Iowa

Or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarFineBakedGoodsAndConfections

post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar View Post
 

 

What do you stuff them with?  Coating things in chocolate is considered enrobing, and is enforced by most health departments under the heading of candy making.  A slightly different set of requirements than baking.

 

Liz

 

Stuff them with cream cheese, and I was thinking of trying to stuff them with peanut butter or chocolate.

post #21 of 24

Generally speaking, if you are selling food, most any type of food, to the public, you'll need some sort of inspection and license.

Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s View Post
 

Generally speaking, if you are selling food, most any type of food, to the public, you'll need some sort of inspection and license.


Ok :( Good thing I came to this page because I don't want to get in trouble. I won't sell anything then, I'll just make for fun like I have been. There are too many steps to take in selling.

post #23 of 24
I understand how upset you must feel, there are a lot of talented cake decorators this forum and they don't cut corners. My advice to you is simple if you really want to get into this business, you need to know the basics, just make a simple sponge, play about with it add a flavour maybe, make sure you taste it and see if it OK,then try something little harder, practise ,practise its the only way to learn.
post #24 of 24
I'm in the UK, not sure how different the laws are wherever your from, I had to be registered with the local authority, had my kitchen inspected, had to have insurance to cover me then obviously had hygiene certificate also. Thats if your planning to sell your cake, but definitely learn how to make a nice cake first, anymore help I can give you just ask OK.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
This thread is locked  
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Help me out