Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Client canceled tasting, wants to use family member
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Client canceled tasting, wants to use family member

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Is there anything nice you can say to a client to let them know it isn't a good idea to use a family member who likes to bake for your wedding cake? or do I just let it go?

 

Tracey owner of Two Girls Baking

Tracey, one of the 2 girls
http://www.2girlsbaking.com
@ The Anacortes Farmer's Market in WA
Reply
Tracey, one of the 2 girls
http://www.2girlsbaking.com
@ The Anacortes Farmer's Market in WA
Reply
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicat57 View Post
 

Is there anything nice you can say to a client to let them know it isn't a good idea to use a family member who likes to bake for your wedding cake? or do I just let it go?

 

Tracey owner of Two Girls Baking

Let it go.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Yeah that is what I did ... thanks

Tracey, one of the 2 girls
http://www.2girlsbaking.com
@ The Anacortes Farmer's Market in WA
Reply
Tracey, one of the 2 girls
http://www.2girlsbaking.com
@ The Anacortes Farmer's Market in WA
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicat57 View Post
 

Yeah that is what I did ... thanks

yeah, you can't fix bad judgment. They'll probably be calling you a couple of days before the wedding when their "baker" decides they can't do it.

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post
 

yeah, you can't fix bad judgment. They'll probably be calling you a couple of days before the wedding when their "baker" decides they can't do it.


And that's when you say "Sorry I can't help you at this point."

Tact is telling someone where to go so nicely they can't wait to take the trip!
Reply
Tact is telling someone where to go so nicely they can't wait to take the trip!
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy View Post
 


And that's when you say "Sorry I can't help you at this point."

 

Or "Sorry, that your baker can't complete the order. My price would be $X, it is higher than the previous quote due to the short time frame"... Add on an appropriate rush order fee and time wasted fee to make it worth your while :)

post #7 of 8

I had a bride cancel a tasting when her dad got sick and then decide that she would try to do it herself to save money.  Mind you, she was a pharmacist with no cake experience at all and her cake was going to have a gazebo and a fountain and all kinds of elevated stuff.  Some of the stuff she wanted to use was discontinued.  It was going to be a huge headache and I was charging extra for having to run down the discontinued stuff anyway. I offered to do a less intense version of what she wanted to help save money but she opted to try to go it alone.  I told her "No problem!  Good Luck!" and I meant it.  I have to say, I wished I could have been a fly on the wall those two weeks before the wedding.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcakestoo View Post
 

I had a bride cancel a tasting when her dad got sick and then decide that she would try to do it herself to save money.  Mind you, she was a pharmacist with no cake experience at all and her cake was going to have a gazebo and a fountain and all kinds of elevated stuff.  Some of the stuff she wanted to use was discontinued.  It was going to be a huge headache and I was charging extra for having to run down the discontinued stuff anyway. I offered to do a less intense version of what she wanted to help save money but she opted to try to go it alone.  I told her "No problem!  Good Luck!" and I meant it.  I have to say, I wished I could have been a fly on the wall those two weeks before the wedding.

oh, oooh, ugh. :-P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Client canceled tasting, wants to use family member