Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › box or scratch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

box or scratch?

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 

I pride myself in making all of my cakes and frosting fresh and from scratch. Occasionally depending on time i have to doctor a cake mix. I know a few other home based cake decorators in the my area and they all use doctored box mixes. My question is how many of you use a box mix and what are your feelings about? When I make a wedding cake i feel the need to make it 100% from scratch  because they are paying big money for it, but when doing a $45 birthday cake it doesnt make sense for me to spend the time to make it from scratch.

post #2 of 61

I have been making cakes for a little over 30 years and they have always been boxed.  I save the cake from scratch for my family like my mom and dad's birthday or my husband or kids.  Everyone I make a cake for knows that box is what they are getting and they are fine with that.  But I wouldn't know if I would make a wedding cake from scratch because of the money, since I do this as a hobby so everything I make is for the fun of it.

post #3 of 61

I used to make pretty much all my cakes and frosting from a box but since I've learnt to decorate cakes I'm also interested in baking from scratch and making ganache. It doesn't take long at all to assemble the ingredients and now I prefer (as well as my family and friends) scratch cakes. If I paid over $50 for a cake and found out it was from a box I'd be a little disappointed. 

post #4 of 61

SugarLipsBaker~~Welcome to the forum!  The "box vs. scratch" is an on-going, heated debate that will rage over the decades.  Basically, if one sums up 8,000 threads and 20,000 opinions:  If it tastes good and sells well and makes the paying customer happy--who cares.

post #5 of 61

Daisyblue002- all of my cakes are box and now with the Cottage Law in Texas that took effect in Sept 1...I was asked to make a birthday cake .. I told them if I did make it would be about $50.00 and that I only use box mixes  and they are fine with that...I haven't decided if I want to make it yet .  If I do it will be my first cake I will make and sell.  I have already taken and received my Food Handlers Coarse certificate and have taken steps on what I need to do to make cakes legally... but I don't know if I am ready to make it a business yet... but like I  have always said there are costumers for everybody... those that want scratch will go with scratch bakers and other that don't mind box will seek me... and everybody is happy.


Edited by texas_mom - 11/26/13 at 11:09am
post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti View Post
 

SugarLipsBaker~~Welcome to the forum!  The "box vs. scratch" is an on-going, heated debate that will rage over the decades.  Basically, if one sums up 8,000 threads and 20,000 opinions:  If it tastes good and sells well and makes the paying customer happy--who cares.

I agree!  My customers love the WASC cakes I make.   

post #7 of 61
Quote:
My question is how many of you use a box mix and what are your feelings about? 

 

I would assume that those who use a box mix feel ok about it, as they should.  There's nothing wrong with using boxed mixes, but you should be honest if someone asks.  Own what you do and take pride in it, because if you don't, then how do you expect your customer to?  There have been about a bazillion threads on this if you really want to read them. 

post #8 of 61

I'm a scratch baker and used that as primary maketing.  Worked for me.  (I really don't sell cakes any more.)  I have strong feelings about box cake mixes, but I'll sum it up this way - I just don't get it.  Scratch baking is easy.  I learned when I was 9 years old in 4H.  Seriously, I scratched baked as a child.  Often.  

Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
post #9 of 61
I bake from scratch just because that's what I learned to do. It never occurred to me to use a box. But I worked at a bakery that was using box mixes and nobody cared. So my suggestion is to try both and see which one you like the best.
post #10 of 61

I have always told everyone I use box, I have never tried passing a cake as scratch... I have never doctored a cake for an occasion  but if I did I most definitely say it was a doctored box mix...only reason I don't doctor is because to be honest I have never doctored a cake and had it turn out ok...if anyone really has  tried and true doctored recipes please post.  I think the reason mine didn't turn out right was because I have read that box mixes have changed in content and the ingredients needed to doctor the mixed have changed and I don't know what those changes are.

post #11 of 61
I personally don't get the doctored mix thing...by the time you add all those extra ingredients you haven't really saved any time and you certainly haven't saved any money...so what's the point? (You in general, not anybody specific)

I'm not being sarcastic by the way so I hope nobody takes offense
Edited by morganchampagne - 11/26/13 at 2:10pm
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_mom View Post
 

Daisyblue002- all of my cakes are box and now with the Cottage Law in Texas that took effect in Sept 1...I was asked to make a birthday cake .. I told them if I did make it would be about $50.00 and that I only use box mixes  and they are fine with that...I haven't decided if I want to make it yet .  If I do it will be my first cake I will make and sell.  I have already taken and received my Food Handlers Coarse certificate and have taken steps on what I need to do to make cakes legally... but I don't know if I am ready to make it a business yet... but like I  have always said there are costumers for everybody... those that want scratch will go with scratch bakers and other that don't mind box will seek me... and everybody is happy.

 

Congratulations on getting your Food Handlers certificate and getting the ball rolling on operating legally. That's much more than what I've done (but I'm not selling my cakes yet, they're only gifts for family and friends). Each to their own regarding scratch or box - if the customer is happy with your product then all is well. I honestly think our local cake shop uses packet mixes and they're always very busy. I'm just going on personal feedback from family and friends - they much prefer my scratch cakes than boxes and I'm cool with that.

post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne View Post

I personally don't get the doctored mix thing...by the time you add all those extra ingredients you haven't really saved any time and you certainly haven't saved any money...so what's the point? (You in general, not anybody specific)

I'm not being sarcastic by the way so I hope nobody takes offense

I tried doctoring cakes because my daughter loves to bake cupcakes and this was our way of trying different flavors and we do it for fun, we are not doing it as income so any money spent is ok.

post #14 of 61
I use scratch. I like being able to say recipes are my own icon_smile.gif
post #15 of 61

CandiedMoon- I have a few scratch recipes from white cakes, german chocolate cake, kolaches, cookies etc.  but I personally can not say their are mine not really,  I googled and find about five recipes or so of each and I check and see what ingredients it takes and how much.  I make the recipes as is but if I do not like something in the recipe ( like baking soda , I can always taste it in the baked good so I tend to adjust the amount)  I add or subtract ingredients and the amounts  until I get it just right for me and that is the recipe I keep.  I have never tried coming up with my own recipes from scratch.  Maybe I should come up with a few recipes on my own  and pass them down to my daughters.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › box or scratch?