Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Dunno what happened
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dunno what happened

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I made a Hummingbird Cake for work and it was the bomb!! Every raved and argued over the last piece. It was (3) 10 in layers, stacked with pineapple cream cheese in between. I used macsmom Banana Cake WASC with BC Butter Pecan and subbed liquid coffee creamer for the water. It had 6 eggs, banana yogurt, cake flour, etc. I could NOT stop eating the batter!! OMG!!! That stuff was AMAZING!! OK, OK, I'm back, where was I? Oh yes, the cake. When it was sliced, it crumbled. You had to catch it or it would fall to pieces. It was moist. Tasted awesome. What did I not do?? Or did??


20131113_114412.jpg 180k .jpg file


post #2 of 23

haven't got an answer ...sorry ................. but omg that cake looks sooooo yummy!!! lol

 

hope someone can help you!

post #3 of 23

A Hummingbird Cake originated in the south and is traditionally made with the pineapple in the cake itself…not the frosting. I guarantee if you make the real deal, you'll LOVE it! It also doesn't have any regular buttercream on it. It's all done with cream cheese frosting. I'm in Virginia and the people here love Hummingbird Cake. Here is the original recipe…I think it dates back to the 50s or 60s. 

 

Hummingbird Cake

 

3 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple

2 cups chopped pecans, divided (1 cup/1cup)

2 cups chopped bananas

 

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add eggs, and oil and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist - do not beat! Add vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas and mix until combined. Pour batter into 3, well-greased, 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then cool completely on baking racks. 

 

Fill the layers with cream cheese frosting and frost entire cake with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with the other 1 cup chopped pecans. 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeagan View Post
 

A Hummingbird Cake originated in the south and is traditionally made with the pineapple in the cake itself…not the frosting. I guarantee if you make the real deal, you'll LOVE it! It also doesn't have any regular buttercream on it. It's all done with cream cheese frosting. I'm in Virginia and the people here love Hummingbird Cake. Here is the original recipe…I think it dates back to the 50s or 60s.

 

Hummingbird Cake

 

3 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple

2 cups chopped pecans, divided (1 cup/1cup)

2 cups chopped bananas

 

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add eggs, and oil and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist - do not beat! Add vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas and mix until combined. Pour batter into 3, well-greased, 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then cool completely on baking racks.

 

Fill the layers with cream cheese frosting and frost entire cake with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with the other 1 cup chopped pecans.

 

 

 

Yep, I used everything above but added a few changes [coffee creamer/tiny bit of crushed pineapples in frosting] which drove it over the top!!

It was covered in cream cheese icing too.

post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea17 View Post
 

haven't got an answer ...sorry ................. but omg that cake looks sooooo yummy!!! lol

 

hope someone can help you!

 

 

Thanks! I do too.

post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Bump
post #7 of 23

I think I gained 10 pounds just reading the recipe…soooo good.  I am going to try!

post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse View Post

I used macsmom Banana Cake WASC with BC Butter Pecan and subbed liquid coffee creamer for the water. It had 6 eggs, banana yogurt, cake flour, etc.

Can you post the exact recipe you used? I'm a little confused since you said you used everything in the recipe I posted but said you used this recipe above. It may help pinpoint what went wrong. It may be with the coffee creamer. Not sure. 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #9 of 23

You wrote that you used a WASC banana cake...so this means that you used a box mix and then added coffee creamer to the recipe?

 

I think that's a bit different to the scratch recipe that was posted above..so the results cannot/will not be the same.


Edited by cakefat - 11/18/13 at 10:01pm
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 

My firewall will not let me into the googledocs so cannot post macsmom's Banana Cake recipe..sorry:-( but I followed it exactly except subbing the liquids with coffee creamer as she often suggests. Her recipe has 6 eggs, no oil. Here is the Hummingbird recipe that I used for the "hummingbird part" you know, nuts, pineapple, topping, etc.  I only used the items in red. Yes, I did use 2 box mixes.

 

 

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 eggs      
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple,
drained      20 oz, undrained
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped black walnuts
 
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1/4 pound butter, softened
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Used KA to mix as normal but hand mixed after adding the fruits. Baked 325 until just able to touch pans then immediately inverted on plastic wrap and covered 3 x's [cakes steamed plastic wrap onto itself], put in ziplocks and refrigerated--took them out cold and decorated.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeagan View Post
 

A Hummingbird Cake originated in the south and is traditionally made with the pineapple in the cake itself…not the frosting. I guarantee if you make the real deal, you'll LOVE it! It also doesn't have any regular buttercream on it. It's all done with cream cheese frosting. I'm in Virginia and the people here love Hummingbird Cake. Here is the original recipe…I think it dates back to the 50s or 60s.

 

Hummingbird Cake

 

3 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple

2 cups chopped pecans, divided (1 cup/1cup)

2 cups chopped bananas

 

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add eggs, and oil and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist - do not beat! Add vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas and mix until combined. Pour batter into 3, well-greased, 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then cool completely on baking racks.

 

Fill the layers with cream cheese frosting and frost entire cake with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with the other 1 cup chopped pecans.

 

This recipe has no baking powder/soda. . . is this correct?

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse View Post
 

My firewall will not let me into the googledocs so cannot post macsmom's Banana Cake recipe..sorry:-( but I followed it exactly except subbing the liquids with coffee creamer as she often suggests. Her recipe has 6 eggs, no oil. Here is the Hummingbird recipe that I used for the "hummingbird part" you know, nuts, pineapple, topping, etc.  I only used the items in red. Yes, I did use 2 box mixes.

 

 

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 eggs     
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple,
drained      20 oz, undrained
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped black walnuts
 
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1/4 pound butter, softened
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Used KA to mix as normal but hand mixed after adding the fruits. Baked 325 until just able to touch pans then immediately inverted on plastic wrap and covered 3 x's [cakes steamed plastic wrap onto itself], put in ziplocks and refrigerated--took them out cold and decorated.

 

So, you used a 20 oz can of pineapple undrained AND added coffee creamer plus mashed (rather than chopped) bananas, for a total of how much liquid?

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
post #13 of 23

MacsMom's banana cake

 

1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix
6 eggs
2 1/4 c cake flour
2 1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6 oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 c vanilla coffee creamer
1 1/3 c water
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 c butter softened.

 

Plus you added a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with the juice, 2 (more) cups mashed bananas, one cup chopped walnuts and replaced the water with extra coffee creamer?

 

Is this correct?

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch View Post
 

MacsMom's banana cake

 

1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix
6 eggs
2 1/4 c cake flour
2 1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6 oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 c vanilla coffee creamer
1 1/3 c water
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 c butter softened.

 

Plus you added a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with the juice, 2 (more) cups mashed bananas, one cup chopped walnuts and replaced the water with extra coffee creamer?

 

Is this correct?

 

 

 

....yep, and I actually used 5 bananas!!:oops:


Edited by soldiernurse - 11/19/13 at 10:01am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch View Post
 

 

This recipe has no baking powder/soda. . . is this correct?

Yes. It's a very dense cake…more like a pound cake/banana bread. No baking powder or soda. 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Dunno what happened