Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Water vs. Milk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Water vs. Milk

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hello,
I was told that you are only suppose to use water for baking cakes. I like to use milk as it comes out tasting better in my opinion. Is it bad/wrong to use milk instead of water. I was told it's not the professional way of baking cakes..... Please advise....
post #2 of 10

Are you talking about scratch cakes or boxed mixes?  Why would you not just go with whatever your recipe asks for?  Whatever your recipe asks for, why would you not continue using whatever is successful for you?  If your cakes taste good with milk and you are not specifically baking for the lactose intolerant why would you change based on what "someone" told you is or is not "professional".

 

Is this "someone" who told you this a "professioal" baker?

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply

deborahanne

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://fromlinetocolor.blogspot.ca/

Life begins at 325° F, and, yes, that IS powdered sugar in my hair.

Baby Shower
(6 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
Christmas
(6 photos)
Reply
post #3 of 10

What does your recipe call for?

 

I have recipes that call for water... some call for milk... some call for buttermilk... some for sour cream... and oddly enough, some for no "liquid" at all (those are mostly cookie recipes)...

post #4 of 10

Go with what the recipe calls for.  Scratch recipes have a balance in the ingredients, and sometimes substitutions don't work.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch View Post

Are you talking about scratch cakes or boxed mixes?  Why would you not just go with whatever your recipe asks for?  Whatever your recipe asks for, why would you not continue using whatever is successful for you?  If your cakes taste good with milk and you are not specifically baking for the lactose intolerant why would you change based on what "someone" told you is or is not "professional".

Is this "someone" who told you this a "professioal" baker?

No that person is not a professional baker. I was just asking to see other peoples opinion. I like to try new things to see what works for me and so far I have gotten a better response from using milk instead of using water. I know everyone bakes different and different recipes call for different ingredients but I just wanted to know.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAtKT View Post

What does your recipe call for?

I have recipes that call for water... some call for milk... some call for buttermilk... some for sour cream... and oddly enough, some for no "liquid" at all (those are mostly cookie recipes)...

The cake recipe I have calls for water but I find milk taste better. Just wanted to know if using milk will spoil a cake faster or just to hear other opinions.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielove View Post


The cake recipe I have calls for water but I find milk taste better. Just wanted to know if using milk will spoil a cake faster or just to hear other opinions.

Milk won't make your cake spoil faster. You have to add eggs to a cake...so the same would be true for them!

 

If your recipe calls for water, but you have used milk in it and it comes out fine, then use it if it tastes better. I have recipes that call for both milk and water. Some just milk. I use it all the time and my cakes don't spoil, as I would imagine other bakers on here have the same result. 

 

The friend who gave you this tip about professional bakers not using milk really has no idea what they are talking about. I wonder where they got that information. It's actually quite strange. 8O 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #8 of 10

Hello Nielove, I am quite laid back about substituting elements of a recipe that someone in the family can't eat/doesn't like....admittedly sometimes I have an absolute inedible disaster, but it's all a part of the learning curve!

One of my God sons is intolerant to Cow's milk, so when making my favourite tea bread which luckily has no marg/butter in the recipe, I have been known to substitute the milk for Brandy!!!  It worked REALLY well :-D

Mind you that same recipe calls for Earl grey or Lapsong Souchong Tea.....and I use 2 teabags of Yorkshire Tea instead, an English brand of tea that is very strong  :D

 

Good luck :)

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeagan View Post

Milk won't make your cake spoil faster. You have to add eggs to a cake...so the same would be true for them!

If your recipe calls for water, but you have used milk in it and it comes out fine, then use it if it tastes better. I have recipes that call for both milk and water. Some just milk. I use it all the time and my cakes don't spoil, as I would imagine other bakers on here have the same result. 

The friend who gave you this tip about professional bakers not using milk really has no idea what they are talking about. I wonder where they got that information. It's actually quite strange. icon_eek.gif  

The person is just a at home mom who likes to bake and always has the answers (Wrong or Right) lol. I knew it wasn't right but I wanted to get everyone else opinion, especially the opinion of professionals and those who sell cakes for a living/hobby...
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spireite View Post

Hello Nielove, I am quite laid back about substituting elements of a recipe that someone in the family can't eat/doesn't like....admittedly sometimes I have an absolute inedible disaster, but it's all a part of the learning curve!
One of my God sons is intolerant to Cow's milk, so when making my favourite tea bread which luckily has no marg/butter in the recipe, I have been known to substitute the milk for Brandy!!!  It worked REALLY well icon_biggrin.gif
Mind you that same recipe calls for Earl grey or Lapsong Souchong Tea.....and I use 2 teabags of Yorkshire Tea instead, an English brand of tea that is very strong  icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck icon_smile.gif

that sounds delicious!!! I guess we have to learn and find what works best for us. I'm sure there are so many tricks and treats out there to always learn. I'm a beginner and in the learning process. I always baked as a kid but never put it out there for people to actually request me to make them special cakes. Now that I have made one for a family member and posted pictures of the event everyone is asking me to make them cakes for there events and said I should get into the business because I have talent. Thats exactly what I'm trying to do now. Put my talents out there for others to enjoy. icon_biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Water vs. Milk