Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Need advice on refund request
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need advice on refund request - Page 2

post #16 of 28

cost of doing business--nobody said it was fair

 

it's reasonable all things considered--

 

if mog stays upset even with that--i'd offer a scaled down version of the g cake in the right flavor instead of refund-- i mean there might be out of town family members who will not travel back for the re-do--it's a moment in time lost--and it's a responsible business practice

 

wasn't it a sculpture or something? it was also to cover the groom's birthday too--lotta family buzz there--weddings are cataclysmic --they paid way late --mog stepped up and paid for bride--

 

i'd offer either 1/2 refund or scaled down re-bake or lump it (the mog lumps it)

more cake 

Reply

more cake 

Reply
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
 

That's a really good point. I'd mention the brides choices were what were placed on your work sheet, your sorry about that but your staff baked the cake that was ordered because they new it was too late to make changes in the contract.

 

I'd apologize for the confusion in your kitchen and explain that you don't usually take last minute order changes and this is why, so your staff missed it. I'd offer to give her a big discount on the next cake she ordered from you......and hope she didn't come back.

 

You cannot violate the terms of your own contract, make the mistake as a result of that violation, and then say to the customer see this is why I don't allow changes in the contract I'll discount your next order.  If you have such a clause in the contract then you have to live by it.  At the point you allow the change, which the OP noted she wrote down, you become responsible for completing the order correctly per the change.  It is not the client's fault that you chose not to enforce the terms of your contract.  You are now responsible for any mistakes/confusion caused by the change.  

 

Why should you hope she does not come back?  She asked and you made the change, the client is certainly not at fault and is not being unreasonable.  If she had pitched a fit when she asked for a different flavor (not indicated in the account provided) this would be understandable.  There is nothing unreasonable about requesting a refund when you fail to provide the correct product.  No matter what the contract said this is exactly the situation since the no changes clause was voided by the OP.

post #18 of 28

Honestly, I probably wouldn't refund anything.  You made the order the bride placed, which was the correct order, since it was HER wedding...The bride was and is happy.  On wedding orders, I always do whatever the bride says...Also the deadline for changes had come and went, too bad for MOG, I would simply tell her that after further review you made the order to the bride's specifications, MOG missed the deadline for making any changes.

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies View Post
 

Honestly, I probably wouldn't refund anything.  You made the order the bride placed, which was the correct order, since it was HER wedding...The bride was and is happy.  On wedding orders, I always do whatever the bride says...Also the deadline for changes had come and went, too bad for MOG, I would simply tell her that after further review you made the order to the bride's specifications, MOG missed the deadline for making any changes.

 

yes true--and if mog used a credit card she could dispute the charges and tie up the entire amount paid possibly forever.

 

i would venture a guess that mog paid more than bride's deposit so..

more cake 

Reply

more cake 

Reply
post #20 of 28

The no changes after xxx date is a good clause, but also I have one that says that changes can ONLY be made by the person who signed the contract. So if the MOG had come to me and wanted the change, I would have said 2 things: 1.I'm sorry, bride would have to approve this change in writing and

2.Since it's the week of the wedding, no changes can be made. 

 

But I understand in a hectic situation when you walk into the middle of an order it may have been not worth your time and annoyance level to explain either of those things and easier to just say "sure, whatever."

 

But that's neither here nor there. You gave the MOG the impression that the changes she made were perfectly fine, then you didn't make the changes. 50% refund due, like you said, moving on. 

life is short, get a cakesafe.
Reply
life is short, get a cakesafe.
Reply
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake View Post
 

Why should you hope she does not come back?  She asked and you made the change, the client is certainly not at fault and is not being unreasonable.  If she had pitched a fit when she asked for a different flavor (not indicated in the account provided) this would be understandable.  There is nothing unreasonable about requesting a refund when you fail to provide the correct product.  No matter what the contract said this is exactly the situation since the no changes clause was voided by the OP.

You are correct. A mistake happened. I don't see it as a big enough problem to even mention it, yet alone to ask for any money back.

 

We all have different feelings about what's reasonable and normal. If the OP had made a completely different cake than what the bride or mog had asked for than I can see them getting upset. But personally, I'd never be upset about something like this. Having everyone love my purchase would have been my only goal when purchasing food for others. At the very most maybe in casual conversation I'd mention the mix up to the decorator, but I'd never complain about something people enjoyed.

 

I wouldn't want her to come back because as a client because she doesn't seem like a reasonable person to me. It's cake. The OP didn't remove the wrong kidney or install the wrong flooring that couldn't be changed and others would suffer from such a mistake. If people hadn't liked the cake, than the mog has a reason to be unhappy about the cake. But this is petty in my opinion. I must have a lot more problems in my life than other people because I wouldn't even dream of telling the decorator there was an issue over something that was so well liked. I save my efforts of getting upset over something that caused more of a problem.

post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 

I wonder if the MOG mentioned her beef to the bride at all?

Every path has its puddles.
Reply
Every path has its puddles.
Reply
post #23 of 28

I once delivered a wedding cake where I realized that I'd put the wrong filling flavor in one tier. I delivered the cake, set it up, then wrote a check for the entire cost of that tier and handed it to the MOB, who was saying that I didn't have to do that. I made a mistake, I didn't deliver what was contracted, and I repaid it. Lesson learned, double-check everything, and own up to it right away. It doesn't matter if they ate it and enjoyed the cake (I'm sure they did), I made a mistake and it's better to just clear it up right away. If you allow changes then you need to do those changes, and if it ends up being a lesson for the future, then there's that. The whole situation was confusing, but a mistake was made, so a refund was in order.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post

I wouldn't want her to come back because as a client because she doesn't seem like a reasonable person to me. It's cake. The OP didn't remove the wrong kidney or install the wrong flooring that couldn't be changed and others would suffer from such a mistake.

From the customer's point of view, the cake is often a very important component of a one-time event. If you deliver something the customer didn't ask for for a one-time event, there is nothing you can do besides grant a refund, invent a time machine, or convince all involved to recreate the event at a future time when you can make and deliver the correct cake.

As costumeczar mentioned, it's great if they still enjoyed the cake, but it's still not what the customer was promised.
post #25 of 28
I agree 100% with Stitches, no way I would have even mentioned it, let alone demanded a refund.

Poor bride, she has a lifetime of joy ahead of her with someone like that as a MIL.
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle View Post
Poor bride, she has a lifetime of joy ahead of her with someone like that as a MIL.

 

Why be the big shot buying everything for you dil and son, if your not genuinely a generous person... and just be happy that you made someone else's important day happier. It's a bigger person who would actually buy the dil the cake she wanted and dreamed of on her wedding day, and not inject her change of order into the whole situation. Just say 'in.......

 

 

 

She'll probably give her dil gifts she hates and than go to her house to make sure they are prominently displayed. Poor girl.

post #27 of 28

The OP seems to have decided to give a refund that reflects the mistake that was made, and that's the professional way to handle it. There's no reason to insult a customer because the baker made a mistake, no matter how confusing the situation was.

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post
 

The OP seems to have decided to give a refund that reflects the mistake that was made, and that's the professional way to handle it. There's no reason to insult a customer because the baker made a mistake, no matter how confusing the situation was.

Agreed, completely.

 

I'm sorry, I didn't realize anyone would take my comments as insulting the customer, it wasn't written with that intention.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Need advice on refund request