Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Denatured alcohol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denatured alcohol

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 

I just bought gold glaze food-grade edible color glaze. When I looked at the ingredients one of the first ingredients I saw was denatured alcohol. Is this safe to put on cake pops I'm making for a kids party? When I looked it up online it said it's poisonous!!

post #2 of 3

maybe it evaporates off? but even in evaporation it depends on how porous your item is too--

 

i mean if it says food grade and you trust the manufacturer--go with it

 

call them up and ask maybe

favorite slogan "you sweet talker, Betty Crocker"

 

Reply
favorite slogan "you sweet talker, Betty Crocker"

 

Reply
post #3 of 3
I do note that there are several grades of denatured alcohol. "CD" grades are what used to be called "methylated spirit": spiked with methanol, they can get into you through unbroken skin, or through inhaling the vapor, and will attack the central nervous system. "SD" grades are denatured with much less toxic (but much more foul-tasting) additives, e.g., isopropanol, and are what you find in cosmetics and skin antiseptics (when you don't simply find straight isopropanol).

I wouldn't regard anything containing either one as being "good eats."

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Denatured alcohol