Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Level my cake batter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Level my cake batter

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Try as I might when placing equal amounts of cake batter in my pans,it is always higher one side than the other.Is there a trick to this.Thank you

post #2 of 13
You mean when they come out of the oven? Sounds like your oven is sitting crooked, or your racks aren't all the way in straight.
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #3 of 13
Weigh your pans.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto View Post

Weigh your pans.
Oh, I read herccomplaint as the cake is rising higher on one side of the pan.
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post


Oh, I read herccomplaint as the cake is rising higher on one side of the pan.

 

Yes I never seem to get the uncooked batter,level,they bake lopsided

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

You mean when they come out of the oven? Sounds like your oven is sitting crooked, or your racks aren't all the way in straight.

 

I never gave thought to this, I keep thinking it is me not spreading level to start with.I have a fan forced oven and am noticing one side is cooking quicker than the other

post #7 of 13

If you have a convection/"fan forced oven" and your batter is light, the fan is blowing the batter and making one side thinner and the other side higher/thicker.

 

http://bakingsos.com/blog/?p=691

 

If you can turn off the fan, I think you'll be happier with the results.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot View Post
 

If you have a convection/"fan forced oven" and your batter is light, the fan is blowing the batter and making one side thinner and the other side higher/thicker.

 

http://bakingsos.com/blog/?p=691

 

If you can turn off the fan, I think you'll be happier with the results.

 

Goodness me,now that really could be it,sadly though I cannot turn off the fan.I have been noticing more as I have been practising using small amounts of batter for a rainbow cake.When I fill I will have to level then.Thank you for the link.

post #9 of 13

My best suggestion would be to try to collar the pan so that the air has less effect on the surface of the batter????  I don't know if it will work, but it might be worth a try.

 

good luck

post #10 of 13
Turn the Pan half way through baking.
Plank.
Reply
Plank.
Reply
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked View Post

Turn the Pan half way through baking.

 

I always thought with sponge you should not open the oven,but I will try anything

What is collar the pan
post #12 of 13

my oven is a little crooked; so 15 min into baking I turn my cake once to the exact opposite position and it helps a lot (though not a perfect cake, but better). 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrudhi View Post
 

my oven is a little crooked; so 15 min into baking I turn my cake once to the exact opposite position and it helps a lot (though not a perfect cake, but better). 

 

Yes if I try all suggestions something will improve,I see you are from Australia too

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Level my cake batter