Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Help with my fondant, it immediately sweat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with my fondant, it immediately sweat

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone, 
I have read several useful comments here about sweating fondant (Thank you!), and yesterday I finally thought I have done everything right, according to what I read. I stick my frosted cake (with buttercream) in the fridge for several hours until I needed to cover it in fondant (so I can avoid to refrigerate it before the event) and when the time came, I started covering the cake and it hadn't pass more than 15 minutes and it start sweating :eek:! OMG! Didn't stop sweating with a fan or leaving it at room temp. I live near pacific coast, so the humidity and hot weather here is high. I don't know what else I can do to keeping my cakes from sweating or melting, I also have tried to add CMC to the fondant I use to cover cakes, and it helps, but not much. I hope someone can help me with this issue.

post #2 of 14
The cake was too cold when you started covering it in fondant.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemaker View Post

The cake was too cold when you started covering it in fondant.

Yep.

 


Cake in fridge for 10 mins. before covering fondant=little or no sweating.

Cake in fridge for hours before covering in fondant=LOTS of sweating.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Ohhh... Thanks! So, what can I do to keeping my frosting from melting and keeping my fondant from sweating? This hot weather is driving me crazy. Is there any good frosting (buttercream ir not) that I can use in stead of Classic buttercream so my cake stop melting and move with the heat?
post #5 of 14
Are you using a butter based buttercream? I'm the uk so don't really have those issues.
post #6 of 14

What brand of fondant did you use? I used satin ice for years with cakes straight from the frig, no problems ever.  But lately since Satin Ice apparently changed their recipe = wet fondant. My cakes no longer have the perfect finish they used to have. I had to even completely redo and redesign a cake this weekend because the Satin Ice was too difficult to handle because it had been raining all day. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi cupcakesmaker, I'm using a butter/shortening based butter cream, I use 50%-50% when hot weather (it helps to keeping my frosting from melting to quick, and after stick it in the fridge for a few hours it holds its shape for longer than a 100% butter based buttercream ;-)). Hi howsweet! I use homemade fondant (Wilton's Rolled Fondant Recipe). I have never use any brand of fondant, mine works fine, but when a rainy day it also gets tricky to manipulate, so I add a little CMC to it, the problem comes when refrigerate it :/ . I've been searching like crazy for some frosting recipes that don't need refrigeration, but I'm not quiet sure if it holds its shape good. Have anyone try "Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting" (http://cakecentral.com/recipe/wedding-crusting-cream-cheese-frosting) with a 100% shortening? I found this recipe, haven't try it yet.

post #8 of 14

Well, sorry, I don't know how one would expect that to perform - the Satin ice used to go on like a dream. I may be having to start making it myself if I can't come up with another brand I like.

 

Are you sure the icings you use now require refrigeration?

post #9 of 14

Satin Ice hasn't changed their recipe.  I spoke to them recently by phone.  No changes.  
They are a very nice company. If you call them with the batch number they are always there to listen.  I do not work for the company. I have just had a lot of luck with their product

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne3 View Post
 

Satin Ice hasn't changed their recipe.  I spoke to them recently by phone.  No changes.  
They are a very nice company. If you call them with the batch number they are always there to listen.  I do not work for the company. I have just had a lot of luck with their product

Why did you call them to ask?

 

 

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post
 

What brand of fondant did you use? I used satin ice for years with cakes straight from the frig, no problems ever.  But lately since Satin Ice apparently changed their recipe = wet fondant. My cakes no longer have the perfect finish they used to have. I had to even completely redo and redesign a cake this weekend because the Satin Ice was too difficult to handle because it had been raining all day. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

 

I don't mean to hijack the post but I agree. I think something has changed. the last few buckets I have gotten have been so soft I barely could work with it.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

 

Scott Adams

Reply

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

 

Scott Adams

Reply
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakespirations View Post
 

 

I don't mean to hijack the post but I agree. I think something has changed. the last few buckets I have gotten have been so soft I barely could work with it.

 

I started a thread about it a while back and didn't get much response.  Here it is, if you'd like to post there, you are welcome to do so!  The way I state the problem may be a bit strong so if anyone wanted to start a thread, I would definitely contribute on it. After being unable to reach them, they finally sent me a pm and said they'd be in touch.

 

Would you mind posting your batch numbers if you still have them? The worst buckets I got were from batch 3062004 - I'm pretty sure there was definitely something wrong with that batch. My rep contacted Satin ice and they are going to give me one free bucket. (even I bought 3 from that batch).

post #13 of 14
I wouldn't have thought shortening would set that well? I use 1:2 butter and icing sugar.
post #14 of 14
I used to use a 50/50 mix butter to shortening but my cakes were melting (I live on gulf coast so heat and humidity are a constant) Now I use all crisco recipe (Indydebi) and none of my cakes melt anymore...butter just doesnt hold for me down here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Help with my fondant, it immediately sweat