Hi all! Well I definitely had a few hiccups but somehow, pulled it off!
Not bad (I think?) for a first attempt at buttercream frosting, double layers, and scalloped fondant!
The last (and only other) big attempt I made w fondant was adding fondant wings n horns to a dragon cake. I was worried about that, but this was another level.
Sat night was looking real bad - but Sun morning we were looking not bad.
Thanks again so much for all the great tips.
Some challenges/please advise for future if you would?
1. Indydebbie's BC was great! But I did have difficulty making it smooth and at one point it seemed when I tried to put more on - instead it would clump off in places?
Also I made a double batch recipe. I was so worried about having enough to cover cakes I used canned icing in between layers. Woulda had enough.
Ended up using extra on cupcakes (12+ 8?regular, maybe another 12 mini?)?
My cake was double 8 and double 6 inch.
2. So I tried the VIVA paper towel method. Actually at first tried this w wax paper. Tried to smooth BC w sheet of paper in hand. It worked to some degree but gave BC an odd inconsistent finish. I immediately sent dad out. And told him he had to find ViVA!
it was the only thing could save my cake now! It really helped - wish I would have waited n not used wax paper. Live n learn. Mind you I did view an Edna De la Cruz tutorial recommended by someone on some post here. But as she said. Takes practice. How does it look so easy? I felt like my boy trying to write his letters legibly.
3. Shoulda used cut outs for ears. Used an xacto and I'm not so exact. Worked well for my M but ears were another matter. Next time.
4. Forgot to get bubble tea straws! But I cut a few kabob skewers n stacked together. Worked well!
5. Loved the box cake adaptation recipe - but w so much new to me I was to afraid to try that too. Next time!
Note: I used Betty Crocker strawberry - top and chocolate cupcakes - yummy! But DH French vanilla (which I've used before w canned Icing).
Not sure if DH was a bad box or BC icing was too good for it? But it did Not taste good together (or not good w you IMHO)!
6. Also worked fast w fondant on cake after refrigeration - didn't have a lot of fondant to attach but worked well w no condensation.
So I didn't copy my inspiration cake which I still adore, but feel I did a not bad elegant toddlers cake. And my girl Loved it!
Again thanks so much for the help Cake Central!