Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Feedback on my gardenia, pleae?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feedback on my gardenia, pleae?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hi, everyone! I've been playing with my first gardenias and would love some feedback on this one, please. I've looked at a few tutorials and combined a little bit of all of them.

 

Very specifically...

 

What do you think of the shape of the petals? (FYI, after not liking the results using rose cutters I switched to ovals)

Do  you think the center is tight enough?

Are the outer petals loose enough?

Should I add another row of petals to the outside?

One of the tutorials I looked at the outer row only of petals were veined but I wasn't sure if I liked that; opinions?

 

Please ignore the dusting...I just added that to see if I liked the color.

 

Thank you so much!

post #2 of 17

Hi Elcee I really like the twisting you have going on there in the middle.

I always like to have a picture of a natural flower next to me when I make one.

The petals look a bit pointy to me. I like to have tears in my petals occasionally too just like in real life. I also bend

the petals different directions.

Great first gardenia!

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty View Post
 

Hi Elcee I really like the twisting you have going on there in the middle.

I always like to have a picture of a natural flower next to me when I make one.

The petals look a bit pointy to me. I like to have tears in my petals occasionally too just like in real life. I also bend

the petals different directions.

Great first gardenia!

 

Thanks! So, center good...petal shape not so much. I was thinking they weren't pointy enough LOL! I like this picture of a real one...definitely need to work on my petal placement.

 

http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/gardenia-varieties/

post #4 of 17

Your gardenia is looking good. I have been planning on making some, myself, so the other day I went out and took some pictures of mine in bloom to help with constructing one. Maybe this will help?

700

Full gardenia

Gardenia bud

The only thing missing is the heavenly scent.

 

Keep going, you're getting there. I hope mine turn out as well.

 

Jan

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
post #5 of 17

Actually, from Jan's pictures, some of the petals are pretty pointy. I think yours looks really good. There's a lot of variation from one flower to another. No one look is necessarily wrong or right. It's definitely recognizable as a gardenia.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

Jan, your real gardenias are beautiful. I'm going to use your pictures as my inspiration from here on out.

 

dawnybird, thanks, the fact that it's now recognizable as a gardenia is definitely progress! This picture is attempt #3; the first two looked like roses.

 

Maybe my next try I'll round out the petals a bit but add a little fold at the tip of some of them.

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 

Crud! I just noticed I made a typo in my title! I hate that!

post #8 of 17

Pleae.  I'm just messin' with ya:lol:  Your gardenia is looking great, though - couple more passes and you won't be able to tell them from Jan's live ones.

post #9 of 17

Elcee,  You're are so getting there and this was your first!  Great job.  You have a good spiral going on but if you look at Jan's pics closely, you will also notice a curl.  If your use a small cel stick or toothpick try curling slightly on the left side of each petal.  You will be amazed how your spiral will naturally continue and your petals will have more movement.  Also,  these pictures are a wonderful reference!

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball View Post
 

Pleae.  I'm just messin' with ya:lol:  Your gardenia is looking great, though - couple more passes and you won't be able to tell them from Jan's live ones.

 

:lol:

post #11 of 17

Nice job.  I think yours looks real.  I wish I could grow gardenias, they smell so good, but in New England, they don't do well.  So I visit my SIL in San Diego so I can smell her gardenias!

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow View Post
 

Elcee,  You're are so getting there and this was your first!  Great job.  You have a good spiral going on but if you look at Jan's pics closely, you will also notice a curl.  If your use a small cel stick or toothpick try curling slightly on the left side of each petal.  You will be amazed how your spiral will naturally continue and your petals will have more movement.  Also,  these pictures are a wonderful reference!

 

Yes, I see that now. I will try that next time (hopefully I'll have time tomorrow). I am also not going to limit myself to five petals (as per the tutorials), I think I'll just start the spiral and let it flow naturally.

 

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Great help!

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post
 

 

Yes, I see that now. I will try that next time (hopefully I'll have time tomorrow). I am also not going to limit myself to five petals (as per the tutorials), I think I'll just start the spiral and let it flow naturally.

 

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Great help!

I pulled out my gardenia cutters.  They are pointed but the first time I made them, I used rose petals and just pinched the top.  There is a tutorial by J. Butler at cakemasters.com.  I think it's around 24.99 but I think you are doing great on your own.  :)

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #14 of 17

http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/bel/Gardenia_augusta19561.jpg

 

This is the one I was looking at. They do vary greatly!  However in a lot of prints like fabric...to me they tend to have this shape with the petals. I think they play up the drama! I think your petal shape is great I just meant more curling/ notches ect. When I meant pointy I didn't describe myself very well. The shape is fine it just appears as though both sides of one petal are pushed in making it one point or curl?? As in they are all pointing up towards you.

post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom View Post
 

Nice job.  I think yours looks real.  I wish I could grow gardenias, they smell so good, but in New England, they don't do well.  So I visit my SIL in San Diego so I can smell her gardenias!

Norasmom, how did I never notice before now that you're in New England? I'm originally from Lowell, MA.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow View Post
 

I pulled out my gardenia cutters.  They are pointed but the first time I made them, I used rose petals and just pinched the top.  There is a tutorial by J. Butler at cakemasters.com.  I think it's around 24.99 but I think you are doing great on your own.  :)

Thanks, J! I feel like an idiot, I never thought to look and see what gardenia CUTTERS look like! 8O Headed over to GSA right now to look them up!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty View Post
 

http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/bel/Gardenia_augusta19561.jpg

 

This is the one I was looking at. They do vary greatly!  However in a lot of prints like fabric...to me they tend to have this shape with the petals. I think they play up the drama! I think your petal shape is great I just meant more curling/ notches ect. When I meant pointy I didn't describe myself very well. The shape is fine it just appears as though both sides of one petal are pushed in making it one point or curl?? As in they are all pointing up towards you.

smittyditty, that's a beautiful picture and also a great reference. You're definitely right about the petals, it's what was making them look like roses to me. I'm disappointed that I won't have time to work on them this weekend.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Feedback on my gardenia, pleae?