Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › Flavoring cake and buttercream with extract? Is that the best way? please help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flavoring cake and buttercream with extract? Is that the best way? please help

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi guys,

  Do you think the best way to flavor a cupcake or buttercream is by using extract? Let me know your thoughts and what you guys typically do. What are my options besides using extract? Thanks for your time in advance!

 

=)

post #2 of 16

It depends what you are flavour I want, if I am using a fruit or berry, I will use a puree or cook them down to make a concentrate.

The only extracts I think I even own are almond, peppermint and the princess emulsion.

I use IMBC, it is much easier to add to than American buttercream, it can handle quite a bit of extra liquid or puree.

Is there a certain flavour you are trying to achieve?

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi

Thanks for your fast reply! So happy! I am new at baking. Can you give me some tips on how you would add the fruit puree into the frosting or cake batter? I am trying to achieve rasberry or strawberry flavor cake and buttercream. By the way, what is imbc? The butter cream that i make at home is bascially just unsalted butter and powder sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. It usually cant take in too much liquid. Do you have a buttercream recipe that can take in more liquid and can pipe well?

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1211 View Post
 

Hi

Thanks for your fast reply! So happy! I am new at baking. Can you give me some tips on how you would add the fruit puree into the frosting or cake batter? I am trying to achieve rasberry or strawberry flavor cake and buttercream. By the way, what is imbc? The butter cream that i make at home is bascially just unsalted butter and powder sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. It usually cant take in too much liquid. Do you have a buttercream recipe that can take in more liquid and can pipe well?

 

IMBC= Italian meringue buttercream

post #5 of 16

Yes, it's a meringue buttercream. This is a good, easy to follow, recipe, and he explains things very well. http://www.joepastry.com/2008/italian_meringue_buttercream_imbc/

 

For raspberries and strawberries, I cook them down with a touch of sugar and a small amount of water, until the berries have broken down and are mostly a liquid. For strawberries I then give them a quick blitz, and push it through a fine sieve, for raspberries I skip the blitzing and just sieve it.

Let it cool, then add it, about a tablespoon at a time to the buttercream until you get the flavour you want.

 

I rarely flavour my actual cakes with fruit/berries, I prefer to rely on fillings and frosting for that.

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes View Post
 

Yes, it's a meringue buttercream. This is a good, easy to follow, recipe, and he explains things very well. http://www.joepastry.com/2008/italian_meringue_buttercream_imbc/

 

For raspberries and strawberries, I cook them down with a touch of sugar and a small amount of water, until the berries have broken down and are mostly a liquid. For strawberries I then give them a quick blitz, and push it through a fine sieve, for raspberries I skip the blitzing and just sieve it.

Let it cool, then add it, about a tablespoon at a time to the buttercream until you get the flavour you want.

 

I rarely flavour my actual cakes with fruit/berries, I prefer to rely on fillings and frosting for that.

What a great site.  I've spent the last hour just reading - Thank You!

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #7 of 16
I can't give expert advice because I just bake at home for family and there are way better ways of doing things lol but last week I used strawberry purée and a little juice from thawed strawberries that had sugar in it and added that to the Wasc recipe I got from here in place of the water it called for but instead of sour cream I used strawberry flavored yogurt. I also added a little neon pick color to the batter so it would look really pink. It was really strawberry and really good lol hopefully one day I can replicate it because I'm horrible about writing down recipes.
I just added strawberry extract and maybe a tsp of the strawberry purée to the buttercream I made. It was super sweet so I need to work on that part.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 

Scrumdiddy!

Thank you for your awesome reply! I really appreciate it and definitely looking forward to experiment with this. Does SMBC take in more liquid then regular butter cream? Regular butter cream that i make at home with butter and powder sugar, i barely even have to put in any milk. Also, I was wondering if you can explain the blitz process. I'm not too familiar with that term. Also, instead of butter and I use high ratio shortening for SMBC? I plan to use HR shortening due to temperature control part. Thanks in advance!

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfromLa View Post

I can't give expert advice because I just bake at home for family and there are way better ways of doing things lol but last week I used strawberry purée and a little juice from thawed strawberries that had sugar in it and added that to the Wasc recipe I got from here in place of the water it called for but instead of sour cream I used strawberry flavored yogurt. I also added a little neon pick color to the batter so it would look really pink. It was really strawberry and really good lol hopefully one day I can replicate it because I'm horrible about writing down recipes.
I just added strawberry extract and maybe a tsp of the strawberry purée to the buttercream I made. It was super sweet so I need to work on that part.

 

I've been experimenting with a strawberry cake and frosting recently.  I also had a very sweet frosting the first time, so the second time I made it, I started with a cream cheese base and that helped cut the sweetness.  I also always add a dash of popcorn salt to help cut the sweetness.

 

I didn't want to add anything artificial (strawberry extract), so my frosting was too runny with the pureed strawberries.  I really wanted a strawberry tasting frosting.  I ended up using more powdered sugar which just made it all that much sweeter and not a lot thicker.  So I ended up using about 1 tsp. maybe a little bit more of strawberry gelatin to help firm it up (hoping anyway that it would and it did).

 

Next time I will reduce (cook on the stove) my strawberry puree to half and see if that helps. I found the recipe below on All Recipes.  I love reading their reviews for helpful tips.

 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Real-Strawberry-Frosting/Detail.aspx

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 

Darkchocolate!

Thanks so much! Im gonna try this recipe tomorrow! Super excited! Also, did you use a strawberry flavor gelatin on top of the strawberry puree?

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 

Darkchocolate,

 Do you also have a good strawberry cupcake recipe to share? Did you also use strawberry puree to flavor your cake? Thanks for your time!

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1211 View Post
 

Darkchocolate!

Thanks so much! Im gonna try this recipe tomorrow! Super excited! Also, did you use a strawberry flavor gelatin on top of the strawberry puree?

 

I didn't in the recipe from All Recipes.  That recipe is the next one I am going to try.  I added the strawberry gelatin to a cream cheese frosting.  I did add some strawberry puree to my cream cheese frosting.  It was butter, cream cheese and 10 X sugar.  I added the strawberry puree and then finally the gelatin to help firm it up.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1211 View Post
 

Darkchocolate,

 Do you also have a good strawberry cupcake recipe to share? Did you also use strawberry puree to flavor your cake? Thanks for your time!

Strawberry (Yellow)Scratch –WASC-

 

2 ½ C cake flour

1 2/3C  sugar

1 T + ½ tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

½ C pureed strawberries

11 T butter

8 oz. sour cream

1T + 1 tsp. vanilla

2 ½ eggs = 2 eggs + 2T egg

4T strawberry gelatin

 

1. Preheat oven 350. Prepare your pans as you normally would.

2. Sift dry ingredients together into mixer bowl.

3. Add everything but eggs and mix just until combined. Beat on high for 2 minutes, turn down mixer and add eggs, return to high and beat for another 2 minutes.

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi Scrum,

Thank you for your previous post! I was wondering when you make fruit purees, do you usually sift it after you boil it? If you dont or do, does it go for both cake batch and your frostings? Thank you again in advance! You been super helpful since i join this site, i am very grateful to have your advice!

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1211 View Post
 

Scrumdiddy!

Thank you for your awesome reply! I really appreciate it and definitely looking forward to experiment with this. Does SMBC take in more liquid then regular butter cream? Regular butter cream that i make at home with butter and powder sugar, i barely even have to put in any milk. Also, I was wondering if you can explain the blitz process. I'm not too familiar with that term. Also, instead of butter and I use high ratio shortening for SMBC? I plan to use HR shortening due to temperature control part. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it does way better than American buttercream as far as adding liquid, in a single batch I ad about 1/4 cup with no problem. By blitz I meant I put it in a food processor for a quick turn.

I've never worked with shortening, but I have read posts on here about others using it, usually 50/50 with butter, in the meringue buttercreams.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1211 View Post
 

Hi Scrum,

Thank you for your previous post! I was wondering when you make fruit purees, do you usually sift it after you boil it? If you dont or do, does it go for both cake batch and your frostings? Thank you again in advance! You been super helpful since i join this site, i am very grateful to have your advice!

Yes, that was what I meant by 'pushing it through a fine sieve', and I always do it, regardless of what I'm doing with the puree after.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › Flavoring cake and buttercream with extract? Is that the best way? please help