Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › What type of Air Brush Kit should I buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What type of Air Brush Kit should I buy - Page 3

post #31 of 58
"I just have an Iwata" she says...lol. That's kinda the best one out there! One of them anyways.
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

"I just have an Iwata" she says...lol. That's kinda the best one out there! One of them anyways.
Is it? Ha ha. To be honest I knew nothing about airbrushes when I did my course (still don't really). And that was the only brand they sold (going back a few years though). All I know is it still works well icon_wink.gif
New to Cake Central, but have been baking from scratch and decorating for 20 years and running my business for 3 years.
Misc 3D Cakes
(10 photos)
Anniversary
(2 photos)
Reply
New to Cake Central, but have been baking from scratch and decorating for 20 years and running my business for 3 years.
Misc 3D Cakes
(10 photos)
Anniversary
(2 photos)
Reply
post #33 of 58
Oh yep. The master of fine airbrushing (of cakes anyways), Karen Portaleo uses them, and a few others I know of. I want one pretty badly, but am lazy and still use a Kopykake...piece of junk. But I don't do enough to justify the cost at the moment.
post #34 of 58
I attended a great airbrushing class at the ICES convention in Lexington last month. Roland Winbeckler is a master at airbrushing! He uses a Pegasus airbrush set. He let people try it out at his booth in the vendor room. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use. That is the airbrush I will buy! You could make it so fine that you could write on the cake. And the compressor is so small, you wouldn't believe it.
You can check it out at www.winbeckler.com. He also has some great books and possibly some videos on airbrushing. I learned more in his one hour class than all the YouTube videos put together.
post #35 of 58

My new Grex, trigger handled, airbrush arrived this week and I am in love.  I have been using a really cheap one that I bought on ebay cos I wasn't sure how much I would use it but I got so excited every time I got it out that for my birthday I got the Grex.  It is a dream to use and even though I am pretty useless I actually feel like I have some control over what I am doing now, rather than just hoping the spray would be in the vicinity of where I wanted it (the cheap one was not very accurate and only really good if you did not want precision).

JWinslow  Lisa Berczel from Grex has done a fairly comprehensive Craftsy class on airbrushing that I thing is great for beginners.  She also has a few very short clips on the Grex site that are worth looking at. 

post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Oh yep. The master of fine airbrushing (of cakes anyways), Karen Portaleo uses them, and a few others I know of. I want one pretty badly, but am lazy and still use a Kopykake...piece of junk. But I don't do enough to justify the cost at the moment.

 

 

Speaking of...

She has 2 airbrushing classes available:

http://tv.cakemasters.com/pages/course/portal.aspx?courseid=38

 

http://tv.cakemasters.com/pages/course/portal.aspx?courseid=39

post #37 of 58

guess I'll save my pennies and get a good one instead of a no name Ebay...

post #38 of 58
post #39 of 58

I bought the Grex Tritium TS with the 0.3mm nozzle.  More expensive but I can buy converter kits to fit it to change the nozzle size.  That's for when I get better and need more options (Tongue in cheek?).

post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 View Post
 

My new Grex, trigger handled, airbrush arrived this week and I am in love.  I have been using a really cheap one that I bought on ebay cos I wasn't sure how much I would use it but I got so excited every time I got it out that for my birthday I got the Grex.  It is a dream to use and even though I am pretty useless I actually feel like I have some control over what I am doing now, rather than just hoping the spray would be in the vicinity of where I wanted it (the cheap one was not very accurate and only really good if you did not want precision).

JWinslow  Lisa Berczel from Grex has done a fairly comprehensive Craftsy class on airbrushing that I thing is great for beginners.  She also has a few very short clips on the Grex site that are worth looking at. 

Thank you.  I have been watching her class.  So glad to hear you're in love with the Grex!

post #41 of 58

Anyone bought the crafsy airbrushing class? is it any good?

post #42 of 58

Claire I found the class really good.  It is much easier to understand what you are doing when you understand how the airbrush works.  I am a real beginner and have really only aimed in the vicinity of my cakes in the past but now I understand what I am trying to do, even if I don't quite achieve it.

post #43 of 58

Thanks Cazza,

I saw you posted on the other thread too. Appreciate it, am so excited to get the airbrush. Could do with it already though:smile:

post #44 of 58
I agree with you Debbie, I was lucky enough to get the dinkydoodle airbrush for my birthday, and can get the colours from the cakes around town.
post #45 of 58

Can we purchase the Dinky Doodle airbrush in the US?  Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › What type of Air Brush Kit should I buy