Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › creative help for "woodland" cake?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

creative help for "woodland" cake?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I'm making my granddaughter's 8th birthday cake in 2 weeks. She is a gentle little girl who loves butterflies and small creatures. I have an idea in my mind of a little girl sitting in a woodland setting, maybe on a picnic blanket, with a butterfly on her finger and maybe a bunny laying beside her, and the usual mushrooms, ferns, etc. This is the picture in my head, but I have difficulty transferring my mental images onto something 3D. I've made a few figures and am not too bad at those, but it's the whole picture that I have trouble envisioning.

 

Should the cake be a tree stump? Any help to get my creative juices (such as they are!) flowing would be so appreciated. She's a sweet little girl and deserves something special. Thanks in advance!

 

Dawn

post #2 of 7
I've been planning my godsons cake - he's going to be 7 and he wants a hedgehog. I was thinking along the same lines - chocolate cake and buttercream so it can double up as mud, and the surround as tree bark in fondant, i.e a tree stump but with the top of mud and leaves, and a hedgehog perched somewhere there.
Maybe do the cake as a little mound where she sits with her teddies/rabbits etc round a picnic blanket like a teddy bears picnic? You can shoehorn a lot of pink in there too! (In the blanket, mini cakes, mini tea pot)
Surround the cake with a white picket fence?
Just off the top of my head icon_smile.gif
post #3 of 7

I did a fairy cake for a little girl a couple of years ago.  I loved doing it.  Instead of a fairy you could make your figure sitting atop or beside her house.  Or having a picnic on top of the tree house...  HTH!

 

A fairy cake I made for a friend of mine's daughter's 4th birthday. French vanilla with chocolate buttercream frosting. My first fairy! I made the wings out of gelatin and edged them in gold and sprinkled lots of disco dust to make them sparkle. The side trunks on the tree are made of cake that I compressed (like a cake ball) and molded to shape like tree trunks. (Much tastier than Rice Crispy treats!) I coated everything with chocolate buttercream to make it look like bark and tried to channel my inner Hobbit with decor. Lots of inspiration on CC and elsewhere. The little girl loved it and I loved making it.

 

 

 

400

 

400

 

400

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #4 of 7

Edit : Those re so cute! I started this post and got a phone call before posting

 

 

Cute little mushroom house, cute little similar shaped cake, but it's a tree house. Not a treehouse, but a tree that's a house, as with a door on the front of the tree and chimney or smoke stack coming out of the top of the tree..

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaelisabethlee View Post

I've been planning my godsons cake - he's going to be 7 and he wants a hedgehog. I was thinking along the same lines - chocolate cake and buttercream so it can double up as mud, and the surround as tree bark in fondant, i.e a tree stump but with the top of mud and leaves, and a hedgehog perched somewhere there.
Maybe do the cake as a little mound where she sits with her teddies/rabbits etc round a picnic blanket like a teddy bears picnic? You can shoehorn a lot of pink in there too! (In the blanket, mini cakes, mini tea pot)
Surround the cake with a white picket fence?
Just off the top of my head icon_smile.gif

That sounds so cute! I was also thinking of chocolate and possibly modeling choc. tree bark if I go with a tree stump. Thanks for the ideas.

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok View Post
 

I did a fairy cake for a little girl a couple of years ago.  I loved doing it.  Instead of a fairy you could make your figure sitting atop or beside her house.  Or having a picnic on top of the tree house...  HTH!

 

A fairy cake I made for a friend of mine's daughter's 4th birthday. French vanilla with chocolate buttercream frosting. My first fairy! I made the wings out of gelatin and edged them in gold and sprinkled lots of disco dust to make them sparkle. The side trunks on the tree are made of cake that I compressed (like a cake ball) and molded to shape like tree trunks. (Much tastier than Rice Crispy treats!) I coated everything with chocolate buttercream to make it look like bark and tried to channel my inner Hobbit with decor. Lots of inspiration on CC and elsewhere. The little girl loved it and I loved making it.

 

 

 

400

 

400

 

400

These are adorable! Thank you so much. I love it!

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post
 

Edit : Those re so cute! I started this post and got a phone call before posting

 

 

Cute little mushroom house, cute little similar shaped cake, but it's a tree house. Not a treehouse, but a tree that's a house, as with a door on the front of the tree and chimney or smoke stack coming out of the top of the tree..

I like the mushroom house idea! Thank you. Wow, you could go so many ways with this basic theme!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › creative help for "woodland" cake?