Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Cake board help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cake board help!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone!
I'm new here but I've been hanging around for a while and I am truly inspired by all of you!
I know my question is one that's been going on in different forms for ages but I'm still really confused, so I'm really sorry if its silly.
I want to cover my cake boards with paper then clear contact paper but I'm still not sure if its safe as there is so many " yes and no's "
My cake would be on its own cake board but what do you do for the borders if you have any? Thank you so much all in advance.

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
post #2 of 13

I have ever done it but it is discussed in this thread...http://cakecentral.com/t/762716/cake-boards-opinions-discuss/15#post_7434950 SO I would say YES

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks Batterupcake! I read through the post but it doesn't say anything on the safety and placement of the cake. Thanks for directing me to a great thread though!

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
post #4 of 13

I read a thread somewhere that some use food safe cellophane over the paper. I have actually done this as long as I have my cake on a separate cake board.  

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin90 View Post

I read a thread somewhere that some use food safe cellophane over the paper. I have actually done this as long as I have my cake on a separate cake board.  
Hi Punkin90
Thanks for your reply! With the cellophane, how do you get it to go down smoothly?

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
post #6 of 13

You have to be careful because it will tear easily. I spread the cellophane on a counter or table and lay my cake board on top and cut the cellophane. Then I usually tape it to my cake board. Don't pull too hard or you will tear it.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much, I'll give it a try as soon as I can find some food safe cellophane!

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Does anybody else have any thoughts on the " to contact or not to contact ) situation?!

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
post #9 of 13

I know--from direct communication with company that makes Contact paper--that the cake should NOT sit directly on contact paper. 

 

The "worst" direct contact is on printed Contact paper because the dyes contain lead.  The clear Contact paper is less of an issue, but the cake must still be on it's own board.

 

Place the cake on a board the same size and adhere that [I use packing tape folded on itself or double sided tape] to the Contact paper covered board. 

 

Piped borders often stay stuck to the board when a cake is cut and served, so they can just be left behind and thrown away.  If, for some reason, having that border to eat is important, then a piece of wax paper or parchment, slightly larger than the cake size should be put down first, the cake second, and then the border piped.

post #10 of 13

wow..good info. I didn't even know they used lead in kitchen products anymore

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin90 View Post

You have to be careful because it will tear easily. I spread the cellophane on a counter or table and lay my cake board on top and cut the cellophane. Then I usually tape it to my cake board. Don't pull too hard or you will tear it.

just a thought...would the shirk wrap cellophane that they wrap gift baskets in work? I assume it is food safe since they wrap fruit baskets in it. I wonder how well it would shrink around the board? Plus most folks leave a cake board under their cake between cake and drum....just an idea

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot View Post

I know--from direct communication with company that makes Contact paper--that the cake should NOT sit directly on contact paper. 

The "worst" direct contact is on printed Contact paper because the dyes contain lead.  The clear Contact paper is less of an issue, but the cake must still be on it's own board.

Place the cake on a board the same size and adhere that to the Contact paper covered board. 

Piped borders often stay stuck to the board when a cake is cut and served, so they can just be left behind and thrown away.  If, for some reason, having that border to eat is important, then a piece of wax paper or parchment, slightly larger than the cake size should be put down first, the cake second, and then the border piped.
Thanks for the great reply maybenot, it was a big help!

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

just a thought...would the shirk wrap cellophane that they wrap gift baskets in work? I assume it is food safe since they wrap fruit baskets in it. I wonder how well it would shrink around the board? Plus most folks leave a cake board under their cake between cake and drum....just an idea
It might work but I don't know if I could get it perfectly smooth. The only problem with cellophane is that when you make a cut in it, it usually rips straight through, so when I make cuts in it to go around the board it will probably rip. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply

When I'm happy, I'm a great baker, when I'm mad, may the Lord help us all !

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Cake board help!