Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › This is new one - for me anyway
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This is new one - for me anyway - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post


I sure wish the seller thought that when I put down a 3% earnest money deposit on my house. Deposits are only returned if they are indicated as refundable deposits in the contract and the relevant conditions are met.

Godot is right, though, my attorney said that you should use the word "retainer" if you don't intend to give the money back under any circumstances. "Deposit" can be interpreted as something that's put down against the cost of a finished product, and if they cancel and don't get the finished product the customer can argue that they should get the deposit back. If you say "retainer" then it's implied that the fee is to secure your services as well, so it isn't necessarily refundable. But I'm sure that someone with a weasely attorney could argue it either way if they wanted to take it that far.

post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 

My deposits are fully refundable right up until 8 weeks prior to the event. So far I've had one customer confused about it. Correct or not, I'm pretty sure if I started calling it a retainer, I'd start having more confused people.

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post

My deposits are fully refundable right up until 8 weeks prior to the event. So far I've had one customer confused about it. Correct or not, I'm pretty sure if I started calling it a retainer, I'd start having more confused people.

Confused people is one thing there will never be a shortage of.

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

Godot is right, though, my attorney said that you should use the word "retainer" if you don't intend to give the money back under any circumstances.

Or "nonrefundable deposit".
post #20 of 27

K.I.S.S.

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #21 of 27

Although technically a deposit is to be given back people put deposits on things all the time with the assumption that the deposit goes towards the total cost of the product or service that you are receiving or using, for example a deposit on a holiday is not given back while you are on holiday or a deposit on a car is not returned when you pick up and pay the balance of money owing for the car.

 

That is very funny (love the face palm analogy). You could tell her that the deposit is refundable but the balance owing on the cake is the same as when you first quoted it so she will still have to give you that money plus any remaining outstanding balance.

 

Honestly I think some people do not connect their brain to their mouth before they speak, this girl sounds like hers might still be parked in neutral. 

 

It may be helpful to explain in your contract that the balance owing is the total cost minus the deposit. 

 

Thanks for the laugh. icon_razz.gif

I may not make perfect cakes but I gaurantee they all contain a super special ingredient .... lots and lots of love .
Reply
I may not make perfect cakes but I gaurantee they all contain a super special ingredient .... lots and lots of love .
Reply
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday View Post

Although technically a deposit is to be given back people put deposits on things all the time with the assumption that the deposit goes towards the total cost of the product or service that you are receiving or using, for example a deposit on a holiday is not given back while you are on holiday or a deposit on a car is not returned when you pick up and pay the balance of money owing for the car.

That is very funny (love the face palm analogy). You could tell her that the deposit is refundable but the balance owing on the cake is the same as when you first quoted it so she will still have to give you that money plus any remaining outstanding balance.

Honestly I think some people do not connect their brain to their mouth before they speak, this girl sounds like hers might still be parked in neutral. 

It may be helpful to explain in your contract that the balance owing is the total cost minus the deposit. 

Thanks for the laugh. icon_razz.gif

Bahahahahahaaaaahhhahaha!!!
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

Confused people is one thing there will never be a shortage of.


That's true. No matter what you do there's always the odd exception. Like that person who decided I sold her a dummy cake and didn't think to try cutting into to it just in case she might find that chocolate cake she'd ordered.

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post


Confused people is one thing there will never be a shortage of.


That's true. No matter what you do there's always the odd exception. Like that person who decided I sold her a dummy cake and didn't think to try cutting into to it just in case she might find that chocolate cake she'd ordered.

This cracks me up every time I think of it and I was telling someone about it just yesterday!
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post


That's true. No matter what you do there's always the odd exception. Like that person who decided I sold her a dummy cake and didn't think to try cutting into to it just in case she might find that chocolate cake she'd ordered.

I remember that one...I'll add the woman who complained that all I did to decorate a beach cake was to "throw some real shells on it." I told her they were all made out of sugar and hand painted, and she was silent for a minute then said "well, I didn't get to eat any of them."

Edited to add: I should have said "madam, your IQ is not my problem."
post #26 of 27

Edited to add: I should have said "madam, your IQ is not my problem."

 

At that pint I think I would have wondered if their IQ was either their shoe size or room temperature.

Cake brings out the inner child in you.
 

Reply

Cake brings out the inner child in you.
 

Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmrsriley View Post

That's usually the case if you rent an apartment! LOL!!

But if you eat your apartment you don't get the deposit back! lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › This is new one - for me anyway