Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Does the 2:1 ganache ever soften?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does the 2:1 ganache ever soften? - Page 2

post #16 of 35

Thank-you, I going to try ganache soon!

post #17 of 35

I have never used ganache, always buttercream and I rarely completely cover a cake in fondant anyway as most people don't care for the taste (I make my own and they like the small bits, but a full cake is too sweet). Anyway, my question is what do you do if you typically use ganache and the customer doesn't like chocolate? I believe I understand the purpose of the ganache to be to provide the smooth crisp edges for the fondant to go over but I don't care for chocolate and would think there are others out there who don't care for it either. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but figured with all these ganache experts, now would be the time to ask. :)

post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra View Post

I have never used ganache, always buttercream and I rarely completely cover a cake in fondant anyway as most people don't care for the taste (I make my own and they like the small bits, but a full cake is too sweet). Anyway, my question is what do you do if you typically use ganache and the customer doesn't like chocolate? I believe I understand the purpose of the ganache to be to provide the smooth crisp edges for the fondant to go over but I don't care for chocolate and would think there are others out there who don't care for it either. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but figured with all these ganache experts, now would be the time to ask. :)

You can use white chocolate, which can be flavoured with extracts, liqueurs etc.

post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadesan View Post

 

 

 


N.B: Sorry to hijack your post ellavanilla but its also a ganache question (in the UK).

 

Hi LisaPeps and Sugared Saffron; I notice you are both from the UK too so please may I ask you a question? I actually posted this on another thread but have only had one reply. Can you both please tell me what is the name of the best chocolate here in the UK you use for making your milk, dark and especially your white ganache please? Thanks ladies.

 

Here's what I posted on my previous thread;

 

"Hello fellow UK bakers. I have always used buttercream under all my fondant covered cakes for years. However; I really would love to give ganache a try and possibly convert to it if successful in making a good ganache. I have read horror stories where the ganache didn't set up hard under the cake and was 'squidgy' and melted under the fondant. This has therefore been the only reason I've been reluctant to ever attempt making ganache. I have thoroughly read up on ganache and the appropriate cream (Whipping Cream with 35% fat content if I'm right) to chocolate ratio and now feel more ready to 'take the bull by the horns' and actually make ganache for a cake trial.

 

Please can anyone kindly tell me from their experiences; what is the best brand or the name of the; Dark, Milk, and especially WHITE chocolate they use to make their ganache; regardless of price. What supermarkets, websites or shops sell them please. Any advice will be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif"

I use lindt white chocolate. I have used the tesco basic white chocolate and it has worked pretty well too, but I do think the lindt is a bit nicer.

post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by niniel1 View Post

I use lindt white chocolate. I have used the tesco basic white chocolate and it has worked pretty well too, but I do think the lindt is a bit nicer.

Oh wow; thanks for your reply niniel1. What shop or supermarket do you buy it from please. And could you post a picture of what the packet looks like please so I know to buy the right one. Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

post #21 of 35
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

This has some great videos about making ganache and using it to cover a cake. If my ganache hardens up while I'm working on a cake I'll stick it in the microwave for 30seconds to soften it back up.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir View Post

You can use white chocolate, which can be flavoured with extracts, liqueurs etc.


This has been my question about ganache, too. If you make, for example, a lemon cake, you sure don't want chocolate ganache on it. I knew you could use white chocolate but didn't realize you could add extracts and such. Will it not make the chocolate seize?

One more question: when you talk about ratios, as in 2:1 or 3:2, which is first, chocolate or cream?

Thank you!

post #23 of 35
You can cook the cream over the stove (don't let it boil) and infuse flavors there, zest or chi. If you add flavorings or liquors you want to add them after you put the cream in the chocolate before you mix it. Temperate is what you need to be aware of. I will add an article.
Chocolate comes first.
post #24 of 35
http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/10838/how-do-i-infuse-fruit-flavor-in-ganache

Dark Chocolate 2:1 ratio, two pounds of chocolate use one pound of cream
White or Milk Chocolate 3:1 milk and white are usually softer

This is just how I do it. I've heard other people using 2:1 for all types of chocolate.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadesan View Post

Oh wow; thanks for your reply niniel1. What shop or supermarket do you buy it from please. And could you post a picture of what the packet looks like please so I know to buy the right one. Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

 

I buy it in tesco. I think it's around £1.80 for 100g. Here's a link to what it looks like http://www.friarsofkeswick.co.uk/chocolate-c1/chocolate-bars-c5/lindt-chocolate-bars-c28/lindt-excellence-white-with-a-touch-of-vanilla-p494

post #26 of 35

I've just added extracts and liqueurs after everything is mixed together.

post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by niniel1 View Post

 

I buy it in tesco. I think it's around £1.80 for 100g. Here's a link to what it looks like http://www.friarsofkeswick.co.uk/chocolate-c1/chocolate-bars-c5/lindt-chocolate-bars-c28/lindt-excellence-white-with-a-touch-of-vanilla-p494

Thanks again. So it definitely has to be the Lindt white chocolate with A TOUCH OF VANILLA?

post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 View Post

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/10838/how-do-i-infuse-fruit-flavor-in-ganache

Dark Chocolate 2:1 ratio, two pounds of chocolate use one pound of cream
White or Milk Chocolate 3:1 milk and white are usually softer

This is just how I do it. I've heard other people using 2:1 for all types of chocolate.


Thanks so much for your help!

post #29 of 35

Now, for one last question: For those of you who cover your cakes with ganache, then fondant, do you also fill with ganache or do you use buttercream or some other filling?

Thanks for your patience with my rookie questions!

post #30 of 35
I use one or the other. If the customer wants ganache I fill with ganache too, if the want BC I fill and cover with BC. Unless they ask for something different.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Does the 2:1 ganache ever soften?