Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Response to "I found someone to do it cheaper"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Response to "I found someone to do it cheaper" - Page 3

post #31 of 42

I wouldn't take the time to reply to someone who said they'd found someone cheaper.

post #32 of 42

I would just to be polite and professional. Then when this cake gets screwed up they will remember how gracious I was.

post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetface421 View Post

Pheadramax, I have thought about responding to her and letting her know that the design she wants requires someone with a high level of skill IF she wants the cake to have that "Wow!" factor that she claimed she wanted.
The design was to be a "Rival Stadiums" cake - one side of the cake made to look like Neyland stadium and the other half was Rupp stadium in KY. Made to serve around 100. BIG cake.

Yep, she's getting a Cakewrecks sheetcake, I can see it now.
So, do you think that before long we will see a post here with someone urgently wanting HELP! NOW! for this very cake?
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post


So, do you think that before long we will see a post here with someone urgently wanting HELP! NOW! for this very cake?

Hahahaha! So true.

post #35 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom View Post

I don't have my own business, but every so often I'll make a cake and/or cupcakes for friends or my husband's coworkers for the cost of the ingredients.  Doesn't bother me one bit as I consider it to be practice for doing techniques I don't use at work :)   One of my husband's coworkers asked me if I'd be interested in making a dinosaur cake for her son's birthday in a couple of weeks.  Today she told my husband that her mother intervened and said that no, she'd get a cake from "somewhere else" because it would be cheaper than to pay me for the ingredients.

 

?!?!?

 

icon_eek.gif
 

Wow. icon_confused.gif

Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post

Or, you could respond like this: "Oh well done! Wow - less than half the price! Please do send a photograph so I can make contribution to cakewrecks.com".

Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom View Post

I don't have my own business, but every so often I'll make a cake and/or cupcakes for friends or my husband's coworkers for the cost of the ingredients.  Doesn't bother me one bit as I consider it to be practice for doing techniques I don't use at work icon_smile.gif   One of my husband's coworkers asked me if I'd be interested in making a dinosaur cake for her son's birthday in a couple of weeks.  Today she told my husband that her mother intervened and said that no, she'd get a cake from "somewhere else" because it would be cheaper than to pay me for the ingredients.

?!?!?

icon_eek.gif

 
I'd love to know how that works out for them! If it is cheaper to get a whole cake for less than the cost of ingredients, what is the cheaper cake going to be made out of?
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetface421 View Post

Pheadramax, I have thought about responding to her and letting her know that the design she wants requires someone with a high level of skill IF she wants the cake to have that "Wow!" factor that she claimed she wanted.
The design was to be a "Rival Stadiums" cake - one side of the cake made to look like Neyland stadium and the other half was Rupp stadium in KY. Made to serve around 100. BIG cake.

Yep, she's getting a Cakewrecks sheetcake, I can see it now.

It's Rupp ARENA, not stadium, just saying icon_wink.gif (not that I actually care, I just made one last week!) I hate sports!
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #38 of 42

I just had a customer want a 30serving fondant cake for around $50-$75. thumbsdown.gif This was after a phone conversation of $75-$100. I figured I'd get home

and see if she sent me an email with specs already knowing the price would drop. It did.

I feel no regret telling the customer "No."  I do it professionally because the last thing I need is for one of them to be wacko and figure out where I live.

It's surprising to me how far ppl will take something. Anyone can be stalked in this day and age.

post #39 of 42

Oops. My bad.

I don't follow sports either so stadium... arena... they're all the same to me icon_wink.gif

The great thing about cake is it doesn't feel like work. You forget about work. Kids, adults, they all get the same look in their eye when they're decorating cakes... That's the magic right there. ~ Duff Goldman

Reply

The great thing about cake is it doesn't feel like work. You forget about work. Kids, adults, they all get the same look in their eye when they're decorating cakes... That's the magic right there. ~ Duff Goldman

Reply
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetface421 View Post

Oops. My bad.

I don't follow sports either so stadium... arena... they're all the same to me icon_wink.gif

Me too, I just used to go to a giant white Methodist Church right across the street from it ;-) 

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetface421 View Post

Oops. My bad.

I don't follow sports either so stadium... arena... they're all the same to me icon_wink.gif

All I know is they're places where lots of sporty things take place so I want nothing to do with them.

post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post


Oh yeah!
I'd love to know how that works out for them! If it is cheaper to get a whole cake for less than the cost of ingredients, what is the cheaper cake going to be made out of?

 



Styrofoam, perhaps?

 

Seriously...I haven't talked with the coworker, but my husband said she was close to tears when she told him because she really wanted me to do the cake.

 

There's only two things I can think of re the mother:  Either 1) she doesn't want to create extra work for me, or 2) she honestly believes it'd be cheaper to buy this "cake" elsewhere even though the coworker told her I already have most of the ingredients on hand!

 

Or maybe she knows somebody else :shrug:  The mother doesn't know me, but she knows of me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Response to "I found someone to do it cheaper"