UPDATE: So I finished and delivered the cake. I am calling it MY ASIAN HOT MESS. I am posting it here cause I don't think I want to put it in the CC Gallery. Taken at the restaurant.
The party loved it and the restaurant staff were impressed but I was completely embarrassed by the top tier. I never got the little corner designs on cause of all the time I spent trying to save this. It is pretty sad when the faux tier is the best part - lol
Anna, how come you didn't come and rescue MY cake like that wedding cake you did? only a ten hour drive for you - no biggy
This is what I learned:
- Avoid dairy free ganache. it doesn't really set up nice and hard, making corners impossible.
- Avoid black fondant for covering cakes - Airbrush is on my B'day list
- Utilize Paneling technique - this would've solved most of the problems
- Check out venue before hand. The restaurant private room was next to the kitchen (NO AC) That room must have been 87 degrees. I was there ten minutes and I pointed out how the fondant and ganache are going to have problems. I left with a warning about keeping it cool.
- Always and I mean always appreciate when others don't see what you do - LOL
PS I moved the bottom orchid to this corner to hide things - :0)