Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › I need help with my ganache!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need help with my ganache! - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimm09 View Post

What is the best chocolate to use for making ganache? Besides couverture chocolate because I can't find it anywhere at a decent price.


Thats like saying you can't find a Rolls Royce at a decent price

 

Cheap chocolate and ganache should NEVER be be put in the same sentence -  If I had to sacrifice quality I would rather do with out.

As for Nestle Toll House chips - ewwww!   BUT they are designed to stay in shape during an entire baking session - so they WILL perform differently too.

 

Notice the first ingredient is SUGAR  -   that would not be the case with couverture chocolate.

Out of interest.....  what price would you say is a 'decent' price to pay for chocolate?   (just curious)  :)

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing  - without laughter, the world is a SUPER boring place

PS..... only smart people can read truly WITTY comments and chuckle instead of getting all miffed

Hero of all time - GODOT

 

 

www.facebook.com/applegum

Th...

Misc 3D Cakes
(1 photos)
  
Reply

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing  - without laughter, the world is a SUPER boring place

PS..... only smart people can read truly WITTY comments and chuckle instead of getting all miffed

Hero of all time - GODOT

 

 

www.facebook.com/applegum

Th...

Misc 3D Cakes
(1 photos)
  
Reply
post #17 of 34

Decent, reasonable, affordable...those words make my skin crawl. NOT poking at you OP, I promise. I see this in almost every cake request when I stalk my town's local yard sale Facebook group. "Need a cake, who has reasonable prices?" Reasonable in relation to what???

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam View Post

 

Cheap chocolate and ganache should NEVER be be put in the same sentence -  If I had to sacrifice quality I would rather do with out.

 

Ditto.

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam View Post


Thats like saying you can't find a Rolls Royce at a decent price

Cheap chocolate and ganache should NEVER be be put in the same sentence -  If I had to sacrifice quality I would rather do with out.


As for Nestle Toll House chips - ewwww!   BUT they are designed to stay in shape during an entire baking session - so they WILL perform differently too.

Notice the first ingredient is SUGAR  -   that would not be the case with couverture chocolate.


Out of interest.....  what price would you say is a 'decent' price to pay for chocolate?   (just curious)  icon_smile.gif

I would stay away from Bakers chocolate. The chips are meant to hold their shape so it's harder to melt them. I make ganache often and I would really put the money into a better chocolate if your wanting to use it often especially for customers. I have to have chocolate shipped, almost all of my ingredients are shipped but there's a huge difference in flavor.
post #20 of 34

I only bake for my family.  This past weekend I went to the grocery store with the intention of buying real white chocolate for white chocolate ganache, but when I saw the price, did the math and realized I would be spending over $100 on just chocolate, I changed my mind.  Instead I bought the Nestle White Chocolate morsels and did a 4:1 ratio.  I used it to fill and cover a RV cake, and it came out great.  The ganache had to be refrigerated, at first I left it at room temp and it stayed runny, but after a few hours in the fridge, it was creamy and spreadable.  I've also used Nestle's semisweet chocolate chips for ganache and had good results.   Note: it does take longer for the chips to melt, but they do.

 

If I was selling cakes, then the increase in price would be passed on to the customer, but since I am the one paying for it, I can't bring myself to spend that much on one ingredient.

Vounteer with Birthday Wishes (birthdaywishes.org)!  Volunteers donate party supplies and CAKES for birthday parties for kids living in homeless shelters.  Practice your craft and help a kid feel special on their birthday!  
Reply
Vounteer with Birthday Wishes (birthdaywishes.org)!  Volunteers donate party supplies and CAKES for birthday parties for kids living in homeless shelters.  Practice your craft and help a kid feel special on their birthday!  
Reply
post #21 of 34

That's another thing to, buying ingredients like that from the grocery store *will*bankrupt you. Wholesale where you can, and that $100, could be more like $40 to $50 for good chocolate. Now that's broken down from bulk mind you, but it's always going to be cheaper than the grocery store.

 

I cringe when I see people buy vanilla beans from the spice aisle. 

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #22 of 34

AZ, I have a bunch of Guittard Dark Chocolate A Peels - Can I use this or should I just order couverture?  Thanks

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #23 of 34

Looks to me like aPeels are for cake pops and candy making. I could be wrong. And Guittard is a good brand, I use that often. Callebaut most times, but Guittard is the bomb! 

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #24 of 34

I have a link for you, as soon as my friend can remind me. Back in a minute.

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

I have a link for you, as soon as my friend can remind me. Back in a minute.


Thank you!

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #26 of 34

http://pastryportal.com/chocolate-c-26/bulk-couverture-c-26_81/ This is a good place so says a bunch of friends.

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #27 of 34

I'm going to try the dark Tumaco when I order.

"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

I'm going to try the dark Tumaco when I order.


The site is very informative.  I ordered the dark Tumaco because of the 65% cocoa.  Thank you so much for the link!

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

I'm going to try the dark Tumaco when I order.


WOW !   if this is NORMAL price for you guys - think yourself LUCKY

 

I pay more than DOUBLE that .... and from the description - an almost identical product

Think 25 pounds is about 11 kilos??   and I am getting 15kg bags.... so only marginally more


I am feeling a little icon_sad.gif   now

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing  - without laughter, the world is a SUPER boring place

PS..... only smart people can read truly WITTY comments and chuckle instead of getting all miffed

Hero of all time - GODOT

 

 

www.facebook.com/applegum

Th...

Misc 3D Cakes
(1 photos)
  
Reply

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing  - without laughter, the world is a SUPER boring place

PS..... only smart people can read truly WITTY comments and chuckle instead of getting all miffed

Hero of all time - GODOT

 

 

www.facebook.com/applegum

Th...

Misc 3D Cakes
(1 photos)
  
Reply
post #30 of 34
Considering that's normal ingredients for you guys, you'd think you'd have better pricing. None of it's locally sourced, huh? Would think there's gotta be some areas of Oz that are good for cacao trees.
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
"I can do that, because this is my sandbox and I've got the bullsh*% shovel." ~Dianne Sylvan, Author and Lunatic
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › I need help with my ganache!