Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Grossed out by Cake Shows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grossed out by Cake Shows - Page 2

post #16 of 77

Lol...sorry

post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

So I SHOULD NOT be scratching my bum and popping zits while baking?


mmm, extra protein.

post #18 of 77

The hair-the hair flowing freely -especially on the Cupcake Challenge showsI always think-'do you work like that at your shop'?

Angela Sarabia
Reply
Angela Sarabia
Reply
post #19 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommychef View Post

The hair-the hair flowing freely -especially on the Cupcake Challenge showsI always think-'do you work like that at your shop'?

YES! I  hope the free flowing hair is just so they will look their best on TV, but it still makes them look unprofessional to me.

post #20 of 77
Agree. Most of them have internet business. And if I see you on a cupcake show with your flowing hair and slutty apron and tank top I will not be visiting you.
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
post #21 of 77
Where I used to work one of the managers tried to convince me that gloves where too expensive so we had to wash them. I only made minimum wage but you better believe that I started buying my own gloves. That was one "rule" that I would not be following. If you are having trouble making money Inyour business and ccleanliness is where you wanna cut costs then you don't deserve to be in business.
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
post #22 of 77

The disregard of basic sanitation on these shows just boggles my mind sometimes, although in a way I can understand it:  You're on TV.  TV does not equal your shop.  Obviously FN gives them a lot of leeway in that regard...?

 

The corollary, though, is that if any of them dressed and/or did what they do on, say, Chopped, you'd better believe those judges would be jumping down their throats.  Plus I've never seen a cheftestant on that show with long flowing hair. If they have that kind of hair, it's either pulled back or clipped out of the way, which is how it's supposed to be.

 

Basic sanitation (besides the obvious) which I've learned through the years:

 

No nail polish

Nails cut short

Hair tied or clipped back -- nothing hanging around your face except for bangs

No rings nor bracelets if you're working with dough

If you cough, cover your mouth with your forearm or crook of your elbow

Always wash your hands before and after doing something

Always wash your hands between switching tasks

If you feel a sneeze coming on, for god's sake get away from whatever you're working on and turn your head (I had a boss who was big on this one)

No makeup -- it's going to smear in the heat

Wear gloves if you're handling something in front of a customer

Keep your work area as spotless as possible while you're working (I had another boss who was big on this)

 

I dunno...all of those are no-brainers for me :shrug:

post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom View Post

 

The corollary, though, is that if any of them dressed and/or did what they do on, say, Chopped, you'd better believe those judges would be jumping down their throats.  Plus I've never seen a cheftestant on that show with long flowing hair.

 

I saw one episode of Chopped where a contestant did not have terribly long hair (looked like 4-5 inches), but he kept running both hands through it. Scott Connant got a dish with a hair on it and refused to touch it. The contestant had to do something to hold his hair back before the next round. I don't think he won.

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #24 of 77
Also a lot of people don't know to wash there hands before you go to the bathroom, in the bathroom and again when you return to the kitchen.
And all jewelry is a safety hazard in the kitchen.
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom View Post

The disregard of basic sanitation on these shows just boggles my mind sometimes, although in a way I can understand it:  You're on TV.  TV does not equal your shop.  Obviously FN gives them a lot of leeway in that regard...?

 

The corollary, though, is that if any of them dressed and/or did what they do on, say, Chopped, you'd better believe those judges would be jumping down their throats.  Plus I've never seen a cheftestant on that show with long flowing hair. If they have that kind of hair, it's either pulled back or clipped out of the way, which is how it's supposed to be.

 

Basic sanitation (besides the obvious) which I've learned through the years:

 

No nail polish

Nails cut short

Hair tied or clipped back -- nothing hanging around your face except for bangs

No rings nor bracelets if you're working with dough

If you cough, cover your mouth with your forearm or crook of your elbow

Always wash your hands before and after doing something

Always wash your hands between switching tasks

If you feel a sneeze coming on, for god's sake get away from whatever you're working on and turn your head (I had a boss who was big on this one)

No makeup -- it's going to smear in the heat

Wear gloves if you're handling something in front of a customer

Keep your work area as spotless as possible while you're working (I had another boss who was big on this)

 

I dunno...all of those are no-brainers for me :shrug:

I think that the coughing on your arm is old thinking. It is a lot harder to wash your whole arm, than it is just to cough on your hands, then wash them twice, and scrub your nails. And if you are wearing gloves, anyways, by all means, cough on them, then go throw them away and wash your hands! Much better than dragging your germy arm around the bakery, bumping germs all over. 

 

And make-up? I don't touch my face, so there is not a problem with make-up, and it it is an issue of heat and sweat, I would much rather have make-up in my food than someone's sweat, yuck. 

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom View Post

 

The corollary, though, is that if any of them dressed and/or did what they do on, say, Chopped, you'd better believe those judges would be jumping down their throats.  Plus I've never seen a cheftestant on that show with long flowing hair.

 

I saw one episode of Chopped where a contestant did not have terribly long hair (looked like 4-5 inches), but he kept running both hands through it. Scott Connant got a dish with a hair on it and refused to touch it. The contestant had to do something to hold his hair back before the next round. I don't think he won.

ICK! He needed a hat!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #27 of 77
The thing is, is that your hand is not that effective at catching the sneeze. Which allows you to contaminate more area even though you can just go clean your hands.
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
post #28 of 77

In the medical center where I work, there are signs that tell you to cough or sneeze in your elbow (as long as you're wearing sleeves, which you usually are since you can freeze your appendages in the air conditioning even if it's 85 outside). The moisture expelled is absorbed by the fabric and the germs don't fall of to contaminate anything. (For the non-sleeve-wearing, there are free paper masks.)

 

Of course if you wear lipstick, you get some weird stains on your sleeves.

Ask me how I know.  icon_biggrin.gif

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #29 of 77
In the bakery where I used to work (a long, long time ago) all the women had to wear hair nets, but the men didn't. How dumb is that? I pointed this out once and for some reason the baker couldn't understand that his hair, which was falling out of his balding head at a regular rate, was every bit as likely to fall into food as all of the women's hair was. Of course, this is the same bakery where I watched a baker come bake from cigarette breaks and not wash his hands, and also where I saw a baker sneeze right on the dough he was kneading. Needless to say, I never ate the products there!
post #30 of 77

Wearing gloves while handling ready-to-eat food in my county will get you a HD violation.  They do not ever want to see anyone wearing gloves unless you have a really good reason (like not wanting to dye your hands while coloring fondant).  I regularly see people freak about lack of gloves and I don't really get it.  Gloves have been proven to be a billion times more nasty then bare hands.  Every county/state has it's own regulations about this - I know that many require gloves, but you should know that there are just as many require that you do not!  

 

I agree about the arm hair and sweat though.  Ug.  But seriously, if you want to make sure you never deal with that then I suggest you never eat out - ever.  :)  I have seen some stuff, kids, since I started working in communal kitchens.  Stuff I wish I didn't know.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Grossed out by Cake Shows